Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Article about "Millionaire Hot Seat" in Australia...  (Read 2664 times)

weaklink75

Article about "Millionaire Hot Seat" in Australia...
« on: June 09, 2009, 01:13:51 PM »
(I think this is the right place for it- if not, please move it)

The big flaw in the format came to the forefront last night...

Setsunael

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 02:29:07 PM »
And here's the video of McGuire visiting that unlucky guy .

I'm not so sure that i would be quite much happy after being forced to risk then lose 249,000 , then getting an "consolation" (okay, premium-class but for sure offered by the airline)  trip to Hawaii and 5k while having Nine's former CEO repeating that in classic Millionaire , players had 32,000 guaranteed and could walkaway with 500k at that level .

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 06:09:51 PM »
What's the flaw, though?
Travis L. Eberle

Kevin Prather

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 07:53:44 PM »
No flaw at all. In order to win the big one, he had to be able to answer that last question. He didn't HAVE any money yet. All he had was a target he was playing for.

trustno1

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 04:27:50 AM »
I would have preferred the original version myself.
"Let the Memory live again!" - Cats

CarShark

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 12:26:59 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'217638\' date=\'Jun 9 2009, 06:09 PM\']What's the flaw, though?[/quote]

[quote name=\'Kevin Prather\' post=\'217652\' date=\'Jun 9 2009, 07:53 PM\']No flaw at all.[/quote]

That's quite a big flaw when you can't walk away, IMO. Instead of adding another $250,000 winner to the Aussie Millionaire rolls, they instead force that person into pretty much a 1-in-4 guess for all-or-not--that-much-really. What a shitty format. Total budget saver.

EDIT-Watching the clip again, I'm kind of struck by the almost apologetic tone Eddie McGuire had all throughout. I wouldn't be surprised if they added a second milestone sometime in the near future. Still, though...such a shitty format.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 01:54:51 PM by CarShark »

Sodboy13

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 02:14:04 PM »
That's not a flaw though.  That's just an inferior, unpleasant set of rules altogether, and someone had to know this scenario was possible going in.  The single $1,000 milestone combined with the single Pass lifeline screamed "cheap bastards" from the get-go, but Nine apparently thought they could dodge it and kept their fingers crossed that no one would make it to the big bucks, with no option of stopping, and blow it.  Whoopsie daisy.  Quick, someone cobble together a token gesture to make it all better at the end of the show!

I guess what I'm saying is, there's a difference between "flawed" and "altogether sucks," and I tend to think Hot Seat leans toward the latter.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

weaklink75

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 03:15:51 PM »
My thing is the only milestone is way too low. When the Italians did this version, the consolation for missing the last question was 3000 Euros (about $4200). If they upped the milestone to $5,000 or $10,000, it would be a little more palatable (not calling the show Millionaire would be even better, but that's beside the point).

toetyper

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 09:52:12 AM »
I woulda said  wakko

/hellooooooo  nurse

ljouvin

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 04:02:51 PM »
Does anyone have the video of this ... devastating loss ?

DrJWJustice

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 10:08:02 PM »
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  

Why monkey with the format just to keep the show on the air?  Let it go for a while, then bring it back after it's had some time to rest.

(excuse the late post, plz -- been out of action for a while)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 10:12:41 PM by DrJWJustice »