Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The financial crisis has hit everyone hard even WWTBAM's...  (Read 2890 times)

weaklink75

JepMasta

The financial crisis has hit everyone hard even WWTBAM's...
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 02:38:19 PM »
Kinda reminds me of a story I heard Alex Trebek tell once that he was given a check for his work on the short-lived game show "Pitfall" and when he took it to the bank, it bounced, even though he sent it through three times.  He says, that was the only time he was ever "shafted" by a production company...and he has the check on his wall to this day.

Brian~

rwalker

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 01:57:33 PM »
I can't say for sure, but wasn't Henry's NYSI in the same boat? Henry himself didn't payed at all? If I didn't recall it correctly, name the show. It seems like that was the one

BillCullen1

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 02:48:07 PM »
We need to clarify that the Millionaire in question is the British version, NOT the U.S. version, since there a pound sign and check is spelled CHEQUE.

As for Henry's NYSI, that was a Mark Goodson show. I found it hard to believe that company wouldn't have enough money to cover contestant payouts or host salaries.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 03:18:10 PM »
[quote name=\'BillCullen1\' post=\'218930\' date=\'Jun 24 2009, 01:48 PM\']We need to clarify that the Millionaire in question is the British version, NOT the U.S. version, since there a pound sign and check is spelled CHEQUE.[/quote]"We"?
I can't say for sure, but wasn't Henry's NYSI in the same boat? Henry himself didn't payed at all? If I didn't recall it correctly, name the show. It seems like that was the one
You may be thinking of either Alex Trebek and Pitfall or Peter Marshall's hosting job on Reel to Reel Picture Show.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

calliaume

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 01:13:58 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'218935\' date=\'Jun 24 2009, 02:18 PM\']
You may be thinking of either Alex Trebek and Pitfall or Peter Marshall's hosting job on Reel to Reel Picture Show.
[/quote]
Trebek is confirmed; he noted this on a documentary (A&E's Biography?), and said the only production company that did this was one from his native Canada.  I don't think Pete ever confirmed not getting paid for Reel to Reel, but I've seen this before; any confirmation?

No way it would happen for Now You See It, which was a network production, and that's not Goodson's style:  from David Hammett's long-ago interview with Gene Wood:

As an example of Goodson's perfection, Gene related that once he had the staff of "Beat the Clock" (the 70s version) change hotels because they had tried to economize; Goodson wouldn't hear of it, wanting his staff to be in the best of hotels. Also, when celebrities were on the show, he would always arrange for the little things: a limo from the airport, fresh flowers in the hotel room, etc.

Remember that the '70s version of BTC had a weekly prize budget of maybe $1,000 and was done in Canada to save money, plus G-T wasn't rolling in dough at that point; by 1989 things were a little different.

A limo from the airport was probably a necessity for this show; remember it was taped in Montreal, where French is the primary language.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 01:14:55 PM by calliaume »

vtown7

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 01:38:47 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' post=\'218968\' date=\'Jun 25 2009, 01:13 PM\']Trebek is confirmed; he noted this on a documentary (A&E's Biography?), and said the only production company that did this was one from his native Canada.  I don't think Pete ever confirmed not getting paid for Reel to Reel, but I've seen this before; any confirmation?[/quote]

I believe that it was on CBC's Life and Times.

JayDLewis

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 03:11:25 PM »
[quote name=\'vtown7\' post=\'218970\' date=\'Jun 25 2009, 01:38 PM\']I believe that it was on CBC's Life and Times.[/quote]

Correct. Select again.
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything

ChuckNet

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 01:36:40 AM »
I don't think Pete ever confirmed not getting paid for Reel to Reel, but I've seen this before; any confirmation?

Thought I recalled reading something about it on ATGS back in the day, and after doing a little digging, here ya go:

Reel to Reel becomes unraveled

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")