Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Top 10 Gameshow Newsmakers...  (Read 6494 times)

inturnaround

The Top 10 Gameshow Newsmakers...
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2003, 03:17:53 PM »
Well, it was more of a big game show news item rather than a big news item. But there were many who would have believed hell would have frozen over before Richard did the Feud again.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

rugrats1

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2003, 07:38:21 PM »
3. AllAmericanPearsonFremantle buys G-T formats, but gives us TPIR94, CS2001 and 98 MG revival (only FF resembles the original).

Actually, the 1994 TPIR pre-dated All-American's acquisition of Mark Goodson -- it's Paramount's fault, in that case.

7. Bill Cosby's You Bet Your Life - what seemed to be a sure thing for success - revival flops after one season, 1992-93

I recall that the show was cancelled early in the season, but Bill still had faith in the program, leading to its decision to cancel the show, but to keep it in production for a full season.  While it was a rather funny show full of Cosby's wit, once it's cancelled, it becomes "damaged goods" -- stations either dropped it, gave it to a low-rated station, or even moved it to late night. In that last case, I recall a "Saturday Night Live" sketch from around that time, where a TV station announced that they were leaving the air for the night, but first, Cos' YBYL.

9. Nickelodeon has game show hits (Double Dare, which aired on Fox as Family Double Dare and in syndication, and others) but cuts the shows in favor of animation.

And even taht department, they favor to promote the heck out of the newer Nicktoons, while leaving the older and weaker Nicktoons off the air. And don't get me started about their volatile schedule. Those wanting to watch old episodes of Rocko or Angry Beavers on Sunday afternoons will understand.

inturnaround

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2003, 07:57:49 PM »
[quote name=\'rugrats1\' date=\'Oct 31 2003, 07:38 PM\']
7. Bill Cosby's You Bet Your Life - what seemed to be a sure thing for success - revival flops after one season, 1992-93

I recall that the show was cancelled early in the season, but Bill still had faith in the program, leading to its decision to cancel the show, but to keep it in production for a full season.  While it was a rather funny show full of Cosby's wit, once it's cancelled, it becomes "damaged goods" -- stations either dropped it, gave it to a low-rated station, or even moved it to late night. In that last case, I recall a "Saturday Night Live" sketch from around that time, where a TV station announced that they were leaving the air for the night, but first, Cos' YBYL.

[/quote]
It's a shame, too. Many in Philadelphia were glad to have a national show back in town for the first time since Mike Douglas left in the 70s. It's a shame it didn't last longer.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2003, 07:58:14 PM by inturnaround »
Joe Coughlin     
Human

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2003, 08:40:12 PM »
In my market (Flint, MI) Cosby's YBYL stayed in the same time slot in prime access for the entire season (Sep 92-Sep 93).  The show must have had good ratings here.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

cweaver

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2003, 02:42:59 AM »
I can't believe so many people made so many lists and no one mentioned the quiz show scandals of the 1950s.  That, fundamentally and completely, is *the* biggest game show news of all time.  You could even almost argue most of the game shows that came after "Twenty-One" and "The $64,000 Question" appeared to be some type of reaction to them, like for instance the rise of the "high concept" game ("Video Village," "Hollywood Squares"), emphasis on low-stakes parlor games ("Password") or Q&A in a format that would be difficult to rig ("Jeopardy!").

Dixon

inturnaround

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2003, 02:49:35 AM »
[quote name=\'cweaver\' date=\'Nov 1 2003, 02:42 AM\'] I can't believe so many people made so many lists and no one mentioned the quiz show scandals of the 1950s.  That, fundamentally and completely, is *the* biggest game show news of all time.  You could even almost argue most of the game shows that came after "Twenty-One" and "The $64,000 Question" appeared to be some type of reaction to them, like for instance the rise of the "high concept" game ("Video Village," "Hollywood Squares"), emphasis on low-stakes parlor games ("Password") or Q&A in a format that would be difficult to rig ("Jeopardy!").

Dixon [/quote]
 I agree that it is...but we're limited to the last 20 years.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

cweaver

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2003, 03:08:42 AM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Nov 1 2003, 02:49 AM\'] I agree that it is...but we're limited to the last 20 years. [/quote]
 ...Then I guess I shouldn't bother with my next post about that big $100,000 giveaway on NBC in '75?  ;-)

I feel the '58 scandals still influence game shows that were airing as late as the 1980s...but then again I don't want to sound like Michael Moore questioning why the LA media doesn't do more about the fact that the city has a smog problem.

I am not sure what I would put on a list but I do remember the deaths of Johnny Olsen, Jack Barry, Bill Cullen and Allen Ludden all being especially big news (though Ludden doesn't make the 20 year cut either).   WWTBAM ending the season as the number one show on television--first game show in history to do so since the 1950s--and the fact that people were actually winning money by the millions on television, would also rank up there.      

Dixon

Starkman

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2003, 11:20:48 AM »
my 10 in the last 20 years. (in no order, based more on industrial impact than news impact, with the exception of combs maybe, it was quite a scandal and shocker)

NBC's Game Show massacre of 89-90 which basically killed the network daytimg game show (except for TPIR of course.)

GSN Premiers

Death of Ray Combs

Millionaire starts the 2nd coming of the big money quizzer.

Death Of Mark Goodson

Bob Barker's lawsuit woes

Lucky Day USA's game show block is cancelled ending what was 10 years of classic and original game show excellence.

Double Dare is Cancelled marking the end of of an era in Kids game shows

Winning Lines and Reel to reel default on their prize promises

5000th TPIR and the naming of studio 33 after Bob Barker...this was a major milestone that has been met only by soaps and news programs. Truly the brightest day in what was a dark period for game shows.