Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Magnificent Marble Machine Schematics  (Read 6421 times)

aaron sica

The Magnificent Marble Machine Schematics
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2009, 04:22:23 PM »
Hersheypark had Hercules (the same one in the link that Chris L. posted) for a long time.

I was just beginning to cut my pinball teeth, so to say, at 12 1/2 and was absolutely mesmerized by that machine. I could hardly handle both flippers at once, and the ball was mega-size as well...

trainman

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2009, 11:02:36 PM »
I saw Hercules two years ago, when I went to the annual California Extreme classic arcade game show in the San Jose area -- it's apparently a regular feature there.
trainman is a man of trains

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2009, 11:22:25 PM »
[quote name=\'trainman\' post=\'220794\' date=\'Jul 21 2009, 08:02 PM\']I saw Hercules two years ago, when I went to the annual California Extreme classic arcade game show in the San Jose area -- it's apparently a regular feature there.[/quote]
We had one at the Northwest Pinball Expo this year, too. (Sadly, it wasn't turned on, though.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Mr. Bill

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2009, 06:21:16 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'220737\' date=\'Jul 21 2009, 01:34 PM\']If there's an EM giant-sized version of Superman made two years after most of the industry went solid-state, I find it curious that none of the pinball databases know about what would be a pretty significant machine.[/quote]
OK, Chris, I looked at the picture of Hercules and it is definitely NOT what we had.  Apparently I was a bit hazy on the arrival date, it would have been 1979 since we got one of the very first ones off the line from a very limited run of apparently around 3,000 total units.

Either way, I concede the point that it was an insignificant moment in pinball history.  Hercules made the bigger impression.

dazztardly

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2009, 09:06:28 PM »
We have a Hercules pinball machine at the Minnesota State Fair. Been there for several years, and still gets play.

As for trying to conquer remaking the MMM, don't. Unless it's a profit job, it's a waste of time and money.

clemon79

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2009, 03:59:33 AM »
[quote name=\'dazztardly\' post=\'221045\' date=\'Jul 24 2009, 06:06 PM\']it's a waste of time and money.[/quote]
And who are you to be telling someone what they can and cannot enjoy as a hobby?

Offshored2007

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2009, 01:17:00 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'221065\' date=\'Jul 25 2009, 03:59 AM\'][quote name=\'dazztardly\' post=\'221045\' date=\'Jul 24 2009, 06:06 PM\']it's a waste of time and money.[/quote]
And who are you to be telling someone what they can and cannot enjoy as a hobby?
[/quote]
Agreed.  Of course, 34 years later, I am still trying to determine why it took so much paint for
a few MMM silver and gold balls!  Maybe that explains the slow game play a bit.

Robair

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2009, 08:30:09 AM »
[quote name=\'irwinsjournal.com\' post=\'220516\' date=\'Jul 19 2009, 09:35 PM\']Off topic but perhaps of interest: Just opened is "Silverball Museum" of pinball machines and "Pinball Hall of Fame" of pinball in Asbury Park, New Jersey... just read about it from a clipping my parents sent this way.  (The band "The Smithereens" which remade "Tommy" posed at a few vintage machines for the story.)  

Partially constructed website at http://silverballmuseum.com ; no affiliation but hope to get there soon.[/quote]
Hey, thanks for the tipoff on this place! I am gonna try to get over there sometime this week. This may be the same feller who had the Asbury Amusement Factory up until a few summers ago.
--Robair

dazztardly

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2009, 07:29:39 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'221065\' date=\'Jul 25 2009, 02:59 AM\'][quote name=\'dazztardly\' post=\'221045\' date=\'Jul 24 2009, 06:06 PM\']it's a waste of time and money.[/quote]
[/quote]

Cork it. I was only offering my two-sense. With the crazy requests we get on here, I figured he wanted to attempt a full-scale replica. If he wants to attempt it(no matter within the size), good luck. I called Guinness World Records a few years ago. If it peaks interest, there's no record documented for the World's Largest Pinball Machine. I'd love to see it happen someday.

clemon79

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2009, 07:45:21 PM »
[quote name=\'dazztardly\' post=\'221344\' date=\'Jul 28 2009, 04:29 PM\']Cork it. I was only offering my two-sense.[/quote]
Ironic typo is ironic.

Chris Kennedy

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2009, 09:41:00 PM »
Ok folks, I want to make something clear right now.  Just to clarify, I actually wanted to make a regular sized home pinball table version of TMMM, not the real full scale replica, though one day when I have the energy to do so, and funding, I'd do it or something similar.  No need for arguing or fighting and snide comments also.  That's all.

Peace,
Chris
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 09:22:31 AM by Chris Kennedy »

irwinsjournal.com

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2009, 04:17:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Robair\' post=\'221323\' date=\'Jul 28 2009, 08:30 AM\'][quote name=\'irwinsjournal.com\' post=\'220516\' date=\'Jul 19 2009, 09:35 PM\']Off topic but perhaps of interest: Just opened is "Silverball Museum" of pinball machines and "Pinball Hall of Fame" of pinball in Asbury Park, New Jersey... just read about it from a clipping my parents sent this way.  (The band "The Smithereens" which remade "Tommy" posed at a few vintage machines for the story.)  

Partially constructed website at http://silverballmuseum.com ; no affiliation but hope to get there soon.[/quote]
Hey, thanks for the tipoff on this place! I am gonna try to get over there sometime this week. This may be the same feller who had the Asbury Amusement Factory up until a few summers ago.
[/quote]

Sorry, couldn't PM you on this, "not allowed."  

Please let me know what you think if you do get over there.  I'm hoping it's worth a side trip from my parents' place next month.
George in Ellison Park, NY

irwinsjournal.com

Robair

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2009, 09:07:53 PM »
[quote name=\'irwinsjournal.com\' post=\'221587\' date=\'Jul 31 2009, 04:17 PM\']Please let me know what you think if you do get over there.  I'm hoping it's worth a side trip from my parents' place next month.[/quote]
Three words: run, don't walk.

This place is GREAT! Almost 100 vintage pins with all the classics there (Wizard, Fireball, Central Park), all on free play and all immaculate and all working properly. You are going to want to pop an entire $20 and stay for the whole day. That's how good it is.
--Robair

irwinsjournal.com

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2009, 05:52:06 PM »
Thanks, Robair.  Sounds like a winner to me... I'll defintely have to build in some time during the next trip to Joisey.

/Sorry, Mom & Dad, I'm off to relive my childhood...
//We now return you to GS content, already in progress...
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 05:53:31 PM by irwinsjournal.com »
George in Ellison Park, NY

irwinsjournal.com

dazztardly

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2009, 05:56:42 PM »
If you can get the swing of working with a microcontroller like Arduino or MAKE, that will help you as well in your efforts.

-Dan