Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CBS Makes a 'Deal' to Replace 'Guiding Light'  (Read 61353 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
CBS Makes a 'Deal' to Replace 'Guiding Light'
« Reply #195 on: October 07, 2009, 01:28:50 PM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'227972\' date=\'Oct 7 2009, 11:29 AM\'][quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'227967\' date=\'Oct 7 2009, 12:05 PM\']But that's not It's In The Bag, at all. IITB is matching products to revealed prices. If anything, it's probably closer to Phone Home Game.[/quote]

[quote name=\'NicholasM79\' post=\'227969\' date=\'Oct 7 2009, 12:18 PM\']Nope.  That game was home player gives price, on-stage contestant matches product with the price.  No ranking of products there.[/quote]That's what I said. It's In The Bag is a matching game. There is no ranking.

Just to be clear, THIS is It's In The Bag

THIS is Hole In One.[/quote]I'm quite sure that Nicholas knows the difference between It's In the Bag and Hole in One.

Now, since you're being "mean" and criticizing others...
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 01:43:42 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Neumms

« Reply #196 on: October 07, 2009, 01:34:41 PM »
Maybe what Wayne's version shows is just how little there is to "Let's Make a Deal." Monty's half-hour was taken up by all the fee plugs, and not just ones he used in pricing games. One thing Billy Bush's version did was try to add games that weren't pricing groceries, something desperately needed. "Spot the Cross-Dresser" may not have been one I'd have picked, but the show needs something.

It might be interesting to clock an old LMAD and "Whew!" to see which had more actual game in the half-hour.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 01:35:46 PM by Neumms »

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #197 on: October 07, 2009, 01:37:19 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'227970\' date=\'Oct 7 2009, 12:22 PM\']If similarity between the two shows is that big a concern they should have gone with Pyramid.[/quote]
Probably not as big a concern as the amounts of money they'd be dishing out to and on Pyramid.

It does seem like there is a concerted effort to make LMAD as non-skill-based as possible, though.  While watching one of the deals involving envelopes today, I couldn't help but wonder if they used to do the same deal (and do it better) using hard-boiled eggs.
This signature is currently under construction.

MizzouRah!

« Reply #198 on: October 07, 2009, 05:03:49 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'227978\' date=\'Oct 7 2009, 12:37 PM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'227970\' date=\'Oct 7 2009, 12:22 PM\']If similarity between the two shows is that big a concern they should have gone with Pyramid.[/quote]
Probably not as big a concern as the amounts of money they'd be dishing out to and on Pyramid.

It does seem like there is a concerted effort to make LMAD as non-skill-based as possible, though.  While watching one of the deals involving envelopes today, I couldn't help but wonder if they used to do the same deal (and do it better) using hard-boiled eggs.
[/quote]Yeah, I wonder how quickly they'll burn out with the same premise of "do you want this envelope/purse/poop bag full of money or the curtain/box. At least the original Deal could mix and match games of skill and guessing games.

And today after they offered a trader 2 shots at giving up the briefcase, I hoped she'd get an offer to participate in the Big Deal w/ another contestant, but sadly that didn't happen. The one contestant seems anticlimactic for some reason.

Finally, although it's impossible unless they forced local stations into a 2 hour block, a 45 minute Deal followed by a 1:15 TPiR would be heaven. Reminiscent of the two 45 minutes soaps from ABC.

TimK2003

« Reply #199 on: October 07, 2009, 06:16:35 PM »
[quote name=\'MizzouRah!\' post=\'227996\' date=\'Oct 7 2009, 05:03 PM\']Yeah, I wonder how quickly they'll burn out with the same premise of "do you want this envelope/purse/poop bag full of money or the curtain/box. At least the original Deal could mix and match games of skill and guessing games.[/quote]

I'm starting to feel the same way 3 days in.  A solid hour of "Dis or Dat or sometimes De Other", regardless who is hosting, is gonna grow stale very quickly if they don't add some other type of games like the previous LMADs did.  

The only game I have seen so far that could require some knowledge to beat the game is knowing exchange rates for currency.

I'd be happy if they added some Vegas-themed games into the mix, or some games involving pricing, but with the lack of variety in game play, I'm starting to get a feeling that Fremantle has destroyed yet another venerable show.

I just hope that Monty has enough say to implement some changes, like some games that require some thought.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 06:17:35 PM by TimK2003 »

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #200 on: October 07, 2009, 06:44:32 PM »
[quote name=\'MizzouRah!\' post=\'227996\' date=\'Oct 7 2009, 05:03 PM\']Finally, although it's impossible unless they forced local stations into a 2 hour block, a 45 minute Deal followed by a 1:15 TPiR would be heaven. Reminiscent of the two 45 minutes soaps from ABC.[/quote]

That's not a bad idea, really. If I were in the power to do so, I'd still give LMAD the chance to stretch out first before I would commit to that decision. Namely because I don't know if TPIR would really benefit from the extra time. The new crew seems to have hit their stride with making the most of the hour. Drew cuts the crap and gets to the games (likely not on purpose, though), so it's not as bad a crunch as it used to be. I don't know that they could fill the new time constructively at this point without it looking like padding.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

CarShark

« Reply #201 on: October 07, 2009, 06:45:59 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'227976\' date=\'Oct 7 2009, 01:28 PM\']I'm quite sure that Nicholas knows the difference between It's In the Bag and Hole in One.[/quote]Well, because of our small misunderstanding, I wasn't sure. Mistakes happen. Hence, I clarified.

[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'227977\' date=\'Oct 7 2009, 01:34 PM\']Maybe what Wayne's version shows is just how little there is to "Let's Make a Deal." Monty's half-hour was taken up by all the fee plugs, and not just ones he used in pricing games. One thing Billy Bush's version did was try to add games that weren't pricing groceries, something desperately needed. "Spot the Cross-Dresser" may not have been one I'd have picked, but the show needs something.[/quote]I remember they used to play a memory game with groceries and small prizes. There would be one under each letter of the prize's name. Another had people picking keys off a cash register trying to reach a target. Instead of "Spot the Cross-Dresser" they could have someone trying to spot a real something else, like a diamond ring or gold watch.

MizzouRah!

« Reply #202 on: October 07, 2009, 09:46:44 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'228006\' date=\'Oct 7 2009, 05:44 PM\'][quote name=\'MizzouRah!\' post=\'227996\' date=\'Oct 7 2009, 05:03 PM\']Finally, although it's impossible unless they forced local stations into a 2 hour block, a 45 minute Deal followed by a 1:15 TPiR would be heaven. Reminiscent of the two 45 minutes soaps from ABC.[/quote]

That's not a bad idea, really. If I were in the power to do so, I'd still give LMAD the chance to stretch out first before I would commit to that decision. Namely because I don't know if TPIR would really benefit from the extra time. The new crew seems to have hit their stride with making the most of the hour. Drew cuts the crap and gets to the games (likely not on purpose, though), so it's not as bad a crunch as it used to be. I don't know that they could fill the new time constructively at this point without it looking like padding.

-Jason
[/quote]I do agree. This season of TPiR seems much smoother. I guess nipping a few seconds here and there(shortening the intro, less sponsor chatter, etc.) plus getting Drew in a groove has helped make it not seem like a mad dash to the finish.
  And after giving it some thought, one negative to my thought about extending TPiR and shortening LMaD...This would ruin any chances for future reruns unless they played together. No way to pad or cut 15 minutes, unless you hacked away like the old CBN LMaD or got GSN to do their play-at-home games during breaks every time it airs.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #203 on: October 08, 2009, 12:11:16 PM »
I wonder how quickly they'll burn out with the same premise of "do you want this envelope/purse/poop bag full of money or the curtain/box. At least the original Deal could mix and match games of skill and guessing games.

I'm starting to feel the same way 3 days in. A solid hour of "Dis or Dat or sometimes De Other", regardless who is hosting, is gonna grow stale very quickly if they don't add some other type of games like the previous LMADs did.
It's already stale. $500 or what's behind the curtain? Better to keep the known cash award than trade it for a prize you can't use/don't need or a possible zonk.

It seems that deals involving cash work better when the amount of cash is unknown. Remember "there's a $20 bill on the front and a $20 bill on the back and more bills in between"? Or Monty's Money Machine?

That Don Guy

« Reply #204 on: October 08, 2009, 03:05:14 PM »
[quote name=\'dad1153\' post=\'227697\' date=\'Oct 5 2009, 08:02 AM\']So, what did everyone think of the premiere of the new "Deal"?  For starters, they really need to cut this down to 30 minutes ASAP (preferably with that unsold version of "Pyramid").  It just can't last as an hour-long strip.[/quote]
30 minutes would be a much better fit, but the problem could be that they don't really have anything to fill the other 30 minutes.

My first thought, expanding The Bold & the Beautiful to an hour, appears to have been a non-starter from the beginning.

As for having Pyramid, or a half-hour version of the Regis Password, I think I see the problem there; both of these shows have celebrities that, presumably, would stay for an entire week, which (a) would require taping five shows a day (assuming this is a problem of some sort), and (b) would make it harder to be able to show repeats on an episode-by-episode needed basis ("we need two episodes repeated on the Thursday/Friday of the first round of the NCAA men's basketball tournament").  This rules out TattleTales and Match Game as well.

(My next ideas were to bring back a panel show like What's My Line or I've Got a Secret, but neither of those do that well on a daily basis (pun not intended).  Then it hit me - have five different shows fill the time slot; say, Password, WML, IGAS, TattleTales, and Match Game (or Beat The Clock).  One small problem; you need five sets, each of which would be used for one show a week.)

The problem is, there are ways to fill the extra 30 minutes with something other than a game show.

-- Don

toetyper

« Reply #205 on: October 08, 2009, 03:26:35 PM »
i coulda sworn i saw a lmad promo with a crap table

cmjb13

« Reply #206 on: October 08, 2009, 03:34:45 PM »
[quote name=\'dad1153\' post=\'227697\' date=\'Oct 5 2009, 08:02 AM\']So, what did everyone think of the premiere of the new "Deal"?[/quote]
I found it quite boring and slow.

[quote name=\'That Don Guy\' post=\'228067\' date=\'Oct 8 2009, 03:05 PM\']My first thought, expanding The Bold & the Beautiful to an hour, appears to have been a non-starter from the beginning.[/quote]
The information I have from a reliable source, is that it has been brought up but Bradley Bell doesn't want the extra work.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

tpirfan28

« Reply #207 on: October 08, 2009, 03:46:44 PM »
[quote name=\'That Don Guy\' post=\'228067\' date=\'Oct 8 2009, 03:05 PM\']...and (b) would make it harder to be able to show repeats on an episode-by-episode needed basis ("we need two episodes repeated on the Thursday/Friday of the first round of the NCAA men's basketball tournament").  This rules out TattleTales and Match Game as well.[/quote]Record one week of an all-celebrity week.  Plug as needed - run the remainder at the end of the season.

Thinking about things - there would be at maximum 18:00 for content in a half-hour program, plus one minute for opening titles + closing credits.  That, to me, seems like plenty of time for two sets of deals, a big deal, and audience deals/side deals.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Jay Temple

« Reply #208 on: October 08, 2009, 04:07:50 PM »
[quote name=\'That Don Guy\' post=\'228067\' date=\'Oct 8 2009, 02:05 PM\']As for having Pyramid, or a half-hour version of the Regis Password, I think I see the problem there; both of these shows have celebrities that, presumably, would stay for an entire week, which (a) would require taping five shows a day (assuming this is a problem of some sort), and (b) would make it harder to be able to show repeats on an episode-by-episode needed basis ("we need two episodes repeated on the Thursday/Friday of the first round of the NCAA men's basketball tournament").  This rules out TattleTales and Match Game as well.[/quote]
Your point is generally valid, but I'll disagree on TattleTales. Even though they generally did five shows a week, there's nothing to stop them from only taping three or four and using them as needed.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #209 on: October 08, 2009, 04:28:55 PM »
They also piloted Dating Game, so that could run anytime in any order.  Q&A rounds can be shortened as needed.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.