Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CBS Makes a 'Deal' to Replace 'Guiding Light'  (Read 61384 times)

76GMC

CBS Makes a 'Deal' to Replace 'Guiding Light'
« Reply #75 on: August 04, 2009, 01:18:31 AM »
Out of curiosity, how long has Fremantle had LMAD?

I ask b/c I remember hearing buzz during GSMarathon about one show
in that lineup being revived.  Obviously we know (at least) which one
CBS had in mind, but I didn't know Fremantle had the show until recently.

Am I correct in understanding Fremantle owns the show outright, or does
Monty still own all/part of it?  I know he's on-board as a consultant.

One other question:  Is it established where the show will be taped??
(Television City or elsewhere)

Here's to a long, successful run of the new LMaD.  May it be the first in a
series of more TV games (classic or new) to come!!

chad1m

« Reply #76 on: August 04, 2009, 01:22:17 AM »
[quote name=\'76GMC\' post=\'221895\' date=\'Aug 4 2009, 01:18 AM\']I ask b/c I remember hearing buzz during GSMarathon about one show
in that lineup being revived.[/quote]I believe that was Match Game, which went to pilot for TBS... but that was it. Obviously we know (at least) which one
[quote name=\'76GMC\' post=\'221895\' date=\'Aug 4 2009, 01:18 AM\']One other question:  Is it established where the show will be taped??[/quote]That's been mentioned. Look one or two pages back.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #77 on: August 04, 2009, 01:24:36 AM »
[quote name=\'76GMC\' post=\'221895\' date=\'Aug 3 2009, 10:18 PM\']I ask b/c I remember hearing buzz during GSMarathon about one show
in that lineup being revived.[/quote]
No, you remember someone here asking "if you were going to revive one show, what would it be?" followed by 47 Tomarkenites piping up for Press Your Luck. There was no buzz from anyone with any sort of authority whatsoever.
One other question:  Is it established where the show will be taped??
(Television City or elsewhere)
Yes. Vegas.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #78 on: August 04, 2009, 03:12:35 AM »
Where has LMAD taped in Las Vegas in the past?

chad1m

« Reply #79 on: August 04, 2009, 03:20:46 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'221898\' date=\'Aug 4 2009, 03:12 AM\']Where has LMAD taped in Las Vegas in the past?[/quote]The showroom of the Las Vegas Hilton.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #80 on: August 04, 2009, 03:22:09 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'221898\' date=\'Aug 4 2009, 02:12 AM\']Where has LMAD taped in Las Vegas in the past?[/quote]Wiki says the Las Vegas Hilton.  If someone can find an intro from that year, it would confirm it.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

BrandonFG

« Reply #81 on: August 04, 2009, 08:41:09 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'221900\' date=\'Aug 4 2009, 03:22 AM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'221898\' date=\'Aug 4 2009, 02:12 AM\']Where has LMAD taped in Las Vegas in the past?[/quote]Wiki says the Las Vegas Hilton.  If someone can find an intro from that year, it would confirm it.
[/quote]
Definitely the Hilton...I remember the letters in the hotel's sign lighting up during the intro.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

tvmitch

« Reply #82 on: August 04, 2009, 10:11:46 AM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'221861\' date=\'Aug 3 2009, 07:49 PM\']For those in the Harrisburg-Lebanon-Lancaster-York market, I emailed WHP's programming department and got a vacation message. I shall actually try the old fashioned way of telephone tomorrow.[/quote]
Good luck getting an answer out of 21; they rarely pick up the phone. Would love to hear if you got an answer, though. I can't imagine that they have alternative syndie programming lined up that quickly if they didn't want to run LMaD.

Interesting Tweet from WBOC (Salisbury, MD):

Let's Make a Deal is coming to WBOC Oct. 5. Replaces Guiding Light.

I don't know if we knew the date before...if it's in an earlier post, thousand apologies.
You should follow me on Twitter

rialtus

« Reply #83 on: August 04, 2009, 11:05:27 AM »
According the Associated Press (using this as a reference), there were a total of three game show pilots that execs were choosing from. We all know LMaD won, and there was a Pyramid pilot. I don't recall a third pilot show. Can someone fill this dense head on what that third pilot was?

tpirfan28

« Reply #84 on: August 04, 2009, 11:06:54 AM »
The Dating Game, hosted by Paige Davis (Trading Spaces).
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

SteveR

« Reply #85 on: August 04, 2009, 11:32:26 AM »
Just a couple of replies, based on reading 12 pages of posts:

* I, too, was hoping for Pyramid but completely welcome another GS back to network daytime TV. I wonder if the syndicated market can absorb another show, given the recent failures/departures of Temptation, Trivial Pursuit and Crosswords and the addition of 5th Grader for the Fall. There WOULD be room if syndicators didn't make it so darn attractive (it would seem) to double-run their shows. (Are DoND and Feud the only carry-overs to the new season?)

* There's little chance that there WON'T be a host crossover (or at least cameo) between LMaD and TPiR. I also see the zonks as a perfect place for WLiiA guest appearances (Colin and Ryan would be the masters of Zonk), as long as it's done judiciously.

* I sent a e-mail to the programming contact at WUSA in D.C. and asked what the plans were. Their web site is already promoting the addition of Dr. Oz to the schedule as of Sept. 14. The initial inclination would be Deal at 10, Price at 11 ... and then Oz at 3 (vs. Phil and Gen. Hospital) and The Drs. at 4 (vs Oprah and local news).
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 11:34:05 AM by SteveR »

colonial

« Reply #86 on: August 04, 2009, 12:08:15 PM »
It's probably too late to add another daily show to the syndicated market now, unless CBS contemplates a January start.  I'm still thinking that if The Eye is claiming that Pyramid remains on the table, it could consider a prime time run for midseason, or as a replacement for ATWT if that gets canned next year.

As for Vegas, Wayne's Venetian show is done at the Showroom at Venetian theatre five nights a week (generally Friday thru Tuesday).  The Venetian Web site notes that Brady is taking a break from the show on 8/18 -- that could be enough time for CBS to modify the theater to tape episodes of LMAD ahead of the 10/5 premiere.  

It should be noted that the Venetian is also the home to the Vegas version of Blue Man Group -- I could easily see the troupe dropping by LMAD every so often to do bits.

JD

snowpeck

« Reply #87 on: August 04, 2009, 12:34:22 PM »
Per a friend, this was attatched to the copy of the LMAD press release at one of the station-only CBS sites:

Wayne Brady will host LET’S MAKE A DEAL when it joins the CBS Television Network daytime schedule (Monday-Friday), replacing GUIDING LIGHT, effective October 5, 2009.

GUIDING LIGHT will have its last telecast on Friday, September 18, 2009. Programming for this time period from September 21-October 2 will be announced shortly.

A Program Order for LET’S MAKE A DEAL will be forthcoming.

Please contact your Affiliate Relations Representative if you have any questions.

Best Regards,

Diane Kuri
Director, Communications & Operations
CBS Affiliate Relations
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 12:34:44 PM by snowpeck »
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

NickS

« Reply #88 on: August 04, 2009, 12:38:01 PM »
[quote name=\'rialtus\' post=\'221919\' date=\'Aug 4 2009, 10:05 AM\']According the Associated Press (using this as a reference), there were a total of three game show pilots that execs were choosing from. We all know LMaD won, and there was a Pyramid pilot. I don't recall a third pilot show. Can someone fill this dense head on what that third pilot was?[/quote]

IIRC, Rialtus, it was The Dating Game.

SteveR

« Reply #89 on: August 04, 2009, 12:40:48 PM »
[quote name=\'SteveR\' post=\'221921\' date=\'Aug 4 2009, 11:32 AM\'](Are DoND and Feud the only carry-overs to the new season?)[/quote]
And, in case you're wondering, I didn't forget Wheel/J! . But they have a unique place in the market ... long-established time slots and affiliates with very little variance over the years.