Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: My Millionaire Story  (Read 11020 times)

Offshored2007

My Millionaire Story
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2009, 12:33:19 PM »
Hopefully Part6 will be posted soon. Watching Millionaire history, albeit an infamous one.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
My Millionaire Story
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2009, 03:44:19 PM »
[quote name=\'Nik B\' post=\'224055\' date=\'Aug 25 2009, 09:40 AM\']I was thinking of doing something similar myself - I won $100k on the episode that aired August 18. Great read![/quote]
I was in the audience for your win! You were FANTASTIC. I was cheering you on all the way!
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

BrentW

My Millionaire Story
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2009, 04:52:26 PM »
Is that Nik Donaddio (spelling eludes me)?  If so, he was a great contestant!  He was so funny and cute -- I loved Regis chiding him about going to Central Park.  LOL!

Brent

PS:  Matt, when will Part 6 be up?  That's the one we all want to read!  You spoiled us putting one up each day up until the day of your show.  :-)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 04:54:21 PM by BrentW »

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
My Millionaire Story
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2009, 04:59:00 PM »
[quote name=\'BrentW\' post=\'224094\' date=\'Aug 25 2009, 04:52 PM\']Is that Nik Donaddio (spelling eludes me)?[/quote]
Bonaddio, if memory serves me correctly. He was a great contestant.
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

pentellit

My Millionaire Story
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2009, 11:07:37 PM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'224085\' date=\'Aug 25 2009, 12:44 PM\'][quote name=\'Nik B\' post=\'224055\' date=\'Aug 25 2009, 09:40 AM\']I was thinking of doing something similar myself - I won $100k on the episode that aired August 18. Great read![/quote]
I was in the audience for your win! You were FANTASTIC. I was cheering you on all the way!
[/quote]
You were in the audience?!?!?!?  That is so cool!

I have nothing clever, witty or erudite to say beyond ...THAT IS SOOOOO COOL!!!

Nik B

My Millionaire Story
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2009, 10:34:17 AM »
[quote name=\'BrentW\' post=\'224094\' date=\'Aug 25 2009, 04:52 PM\']Is that Nik Donaddio (spelling eludes me)?  If so, he was a great contestant!  He was so funny and cute -- I loved Regis chiding him about going to Central Park.  LOL!

Brent

PS:  Matt, when will Part 6 be up?  That's the one we all want to read!  You spoiled us putting one up each day up until the day of your show.  :-)[/quote]

Yes, it is me. Thank you very much for your kind comments, Brent and DN4. :)

That was by far the most nerve-wracking experience of my life. The only coping mechanism I could come up with was that back in college, I was an All-American sprinter and I remembered how nervous I was once I got to the NCAA and other big meets, and how I ran very well despite the pressure. Maybe if I have some more free time I will write up a similar thread to this one.

MyronMMeyer

My Millionaire Story
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2009, 12:41:42 PM »
[quote name=\'Nik B\' post=\'224156\' date=\'Aug 26 2009, 09:34 AM\'][quote name=\'BrentW\' post=\'224094\' date=\'Aug 25 2009, 04:52 PM\']Is that Nik Donaddio (spelling eludes me)?  If so, he was a great contestant!  He was so funny and cute -- I loved Regis chiding him about going to Central Park.  LOL!

Brent

PS:  Matt, when will Part 6 be up?  That's the one we all want to read!  You spoiled us putting one up each day up until the day of your show.  :-)[/quote]

That was by far the most nerve-wracking experience of my life. The only coping mechanism I could come up with was that back in college, I was an All-American sprinter and I remembered how nervous I was once I got to the NCAA and other big meets, and how I ran very well despite the pressure. Maybe if I have some more free time I will write up a similar thread to this one.
[/quote]

Hey Nik, how did you get on the show? Was it an audition, the phone game or what?

Just wondering is all.

-M
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 12:43:04 PM by MyronMMeyer »

Nik B

My Millionaire Story
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2009, 03:13:36 PM »
[quote name=\'MyronMMeyer\' post=\'224170\' date=\'Aug 26 2009, 12:41 PM\'][quote name=\'Nik B\' post=\'224156\' date=\'Aug 26 2009, 09:34 AM\'][quote name=\'BrentW\' post=\'224094\' date=\'Aug 25 2009, 04:52 PM\']Is that Nik Donaddio (spelling eludes me)?  If so, he was a great contestant!  He was so funny and cute -- I loved Regis chiding him about going to Central Park.  LOL!

Brent

[/quote]

Hey Nik, how did you get on the show? Was it an audition, the phone game or what?

Just wondering is all.

-M
[/quote]

I qualified through the phone game. I think the first time I tried it, I got 3 out of 5 (well, more accurately, 4) right. It had been awhile since I tried to qualify back when I was in college, and I wasn't really prepared. The second night I had a piece of paper all prepared and I got all 5 correct, much to my surprise. I only remember the last question, which was something like (paraphrased):

Put these World Capitals in order from Southernmost to Northernmost:
1. Stockholm
2. Oslo
3. Moscow
4. Reykjavik

The difference in difficulty because Questions 1-4 and that question seemed like light years to me. I'm not even quite sure of the order I guessed, to be honest. I think 3-1-2-4.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 03:14:30 PM by Nik B »

Fedya

My Millionaire Story
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2009, 04:12:43 PM »
That's probably because it is much more difficult.  Moscow is around 56 degrees north, and Reykjavik around 64 degrees.  But Stockholm and Oslo are both between 59 and 60 (with Oslo further north by about half a degree).

At least they didn't replace either Moscow or Reykjavik with Helsinki, which would have made for three capitals within a degree of each other -- or worse, Tallinn, which would come between Stockholm and Oslo.

I would have gotten it right, but only because geography is probably my strongest point.  I can imagine a very large percentage of would-be contestants getting it wrong.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

mcsittel

My Millionaire Story
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2009, 10:04:49 PM »
[quote name=\'Offshored2007\' post=\'224068\' date=\'Aug 25 2009, 10:33 AM\']Hopefully Part6 will be posted soon. Watching Millionaire history, albeit an infamous one.[/quote]

Sorry to keep y'all waiting.  I'm in Denver on business this week but will get it typed up just as soon as I can.  September 9th is the air date for my syndie show, so there was going to be a lull in posting parts of the story anyway-I guess it started sooner than I had planned.  Don't worry-it will all get posted; I'll let you know when part 6 is available.

Matt

Offshored2007

My Millionaire Story
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2009, 02:02:54 PM »
[quote name=\'mcsittel\' post=\'224198\' date=\'Aug 26 2009, 10:04 PM\'][quote name=\'Offshored2007\' post=\'224068\' date=\'Aug 25 2009, 10:33 AM\']Hopefully Part6 will be posted soon. Watching Millionaire history, albeit an infamous one.[/quote]

Sorry to keep y'all waiting.  I'm in Denver on business this week but will get it typed up just as soon as I can.  September 9th is the air date for my syndie show, so there was going to be a lull in posting parts of the story anyway-I guess it started sooner than I had planned.  Don't worry-it will all get posted; I'll let you know when part 6 is available.

Matt
[/quote]
Save the Meredith stuff for a Part 7!

Jimmy Owen

My Millionaire Story
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2009, 02:11:08 PM »
Denver??  Didja drove or didja flew?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

trainman

My Millionaire Story
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2009, 09:12:49 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'224272\' date=\'Aug 27 2009, 11:11 AM\']Denver??  Didja drove or didja flew?[/quote]

You can take the train from Omaha to Denver.  Heck, that's the route of the original transcontinental railroad.
trainman is a man of trains

mcsittel

My Millionaire Story
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2009, 10:44:54 PM »
[quote name=\'trainman\' post=\'224293\' date=\'Aug 27 2009, 07:12 PM\'][quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'224272\' date=\'Aug 27 2009, 11:11 AM\']Denver??  Didja drove or didja flew?[/quote]

You can take the train from Omaha to Denver.  Heck, that's the route of the original transcontinental railroad.
[/quote]

Amtrak is the correct answer-$120 round trip.

mcsittel

My Millionaire Story
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2009, 08:03:44 PM »
Thanks to having a couple of hours in Denver last night while waiting for the train back to Omaha, I finished up part 6, which is now posted:

http://www.mcsittel.com/html/gspt6.htm

My apologies for the delay; I spent most of the week in Boulder, CO at a meteorology conference and spent most of my free time hiking the trails around town after meetings.  What a beautiful part of the country!

Part 7 will be posted next weekend, with the last three parts posted after my daytime show airs on September 9th.

Matt