Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Guiding Light's Cancellation  (Read 6275 times)

Kevin Prather

The Guiding Light's Cancellation
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2009, 10:35:50 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'226413\' date=\'Sep 18 2009, 07:15 PM\'][quote name=\'Jumpondees\' post=\'226411\' date=\'Sep 18 2009, 10:08 PM\']All I got to say is...

GL, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out!

...And now, we wait![/quote]

Door #1, door #2 or door #3? :)  I like both genres, so it's mixed emotions for me.  I learned that you can strike up a nice conversation with a woman if you follow "her soap."
[/quote]
But you can strike something else if you drop "her soap" too.

KWJCDon

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2009, 09:44:38 AM »
I was a faithful viewer since 1978. I had the chance to meet several of it's stars over the years. I even had the opportunity to fish several of them when I was a charter boat captain back in my younger days. Sad to see it go but happy that another t*** s*** or a news program didn't take it's place. Best of luck to Wayne and LMAD. Here's hoping that this a resurgence of daytime games!

Don

That Don Guy

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2009, 12:51:47 PM »
[quote name=\'KWJCDon\' post=\'226439\' date=\'Sep 19 2009, 06:44 AM\']I was a faithful viewer since 1978. I had the chance to meet several of it's stars over the years. I even had the opportunity to fish several of them when I was a charter boat captain back in my younger days. Sad to see it go but happy that another t*** s*** or a news program didn't take it's place.[/quote]
T*** S***s and news programs don't seem to be "the enemy" any more.

I for one hope that a number of CBS affiliates don't decide to skip LMAD and instead air an hour of small claims court shows.

I'm still a little surprised CBS didn't expand The Bold & the Beautiful to an hour (and give the remaining 30 minutes to the affiliates), although I am under the impression that the show's producers feel that expanding would be a bad thing.  (Expanding the Daytime Emmy Awards broadcast by 3 minutes insteading of ending the show right before the TB&TB producers could give their acceptance speech, on the other hand...)

-- Don

golden-road

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2009, 01:25:03 PM »
I was late to the party, as they say; became a fan in April, got the ax notice a week later. Even if you don't like the show, you have to respect the longetivity, so for that reason I'm sad to see it go.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2009, 01:43:11 PM »
[quote name=\'That Don Guy\' post=\'226385\' date=\'Sep 18 2009, 06:19 PM\']In case you missed the Friday TPIR, they gave a very good reason for waiting until now to air it:[/quote]

And a wicked-cool Showcase it was, too.  Herself "wowed" a couple times.  Looks like the "upscale prizes" thing works, at least on the extremely casual viewer.
czambo@mac.com

aaron sica

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2009, 02:49:12 PM »
[quote name=\'That Don Guy\' post=\'226453\' date=\'Sep 19 2009, 12:51 PM\']I for one hope that a number of CBS affiliates don't decide to skip LMAD and instead air an hour of small claims court shows.

I'm still a little surprised CBS didn't expand The Bold & the Beautiful to an hour (and give the remaining 30 minutes to the affiliates), although I am under the impression that the show's producers feel that expanding would be a bad thing. (Expanding the Daytime Emmy Awards broadcast by 3 minutes insteading of ending the show right before the TB&TB producers could give their acceptance speech, on the other hand...)

-- Don[/quote]

My wife remarked yesterday about the court shows taking over daytime.

I, too, am surprised that B&B wasn't expanded to an hour. I know I've said this before (and if you haven't read it, then [NBC] it's new to you! [/NBC] but I saw the 12:30 spot being given back to the affiliates with a three hour block of Y&R, BB, and ATWT. Still hard to believe that there is a change in the CBS afternoon lineup for the first time in over 22 years.

When GL moved to the 3pm hour back in 1980, never did I think it would be there so long....
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 02:49:56 PM by aaron sica »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2009, 03:53:05 PM »
Expanding B&B would have required hiring more actors, writers, etc.  I'm sure it's cheaper to mount an hour-long LMAD than an extra half-hour of B&B.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Jumpondees

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2009, 05:09:15 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'226413\' date=\'Sep 18 2009, 10:15 PM\'][quote name=\'Jumpondees\' post=\'226411\' date=\'Sep 18 2009, 10:08 PM\']All I got to say is...

Door #1, door #2 or door #3? :)  I like both genres, so it's mixed emotions for me.  I learned that you can strike up a nice conversation with a woman if you follow "her soap."
[/quote]

I'm biased...I'm a Days Of Our Lives person

Jumpondees

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2009, 05:11:42 PM »
[quote name=\'Kevin Prather\' post=\'226415\' date=\'Sep 18 2009, 10:35 PM\'][quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'226413\' date=\'Sep 18 2009, 07:15 PM\'][quote name=\'Jumpondees\' post=\'226411\' date=\'Sep 18 2009, 10:08 PM\']All I got to say is...

[/quote]
But you can strike something else if you drop "her soap" too.
[/quote]

Sounds like the makings of a old school Skin-a-max midnight special.

Darion Blackwood Daniel

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2009, 01:09:36 PM »
I am not sure on that.  But why would they cancel it to begin with besides poor ratings?
Love and Heart--The Blackwood Company

Ian Wallis

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2009, 03:30:25 PM »
Still hard to believe that there is a change in the CBS afternoon lineup for the first time in over 22 years.

When GL moved to the 3pm hour back in 1980, never did I think it would be there so long....

I know what you mean...daytime television on the whole seemed more exciting back in the '70s didn't it?  I loved picking up those TVGuides and seeing the changes taking place quite frequently.  Of course, I was very young then :)
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

BrandonFG

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2009, 03:45:02 PM »
[quote name=\'Darion Blackwood Daniel\' post=\'226509\' date=\'Sep 20 2009, 01:09 PM\']I am not sure on that.  But why would they cancel it to begin with besides poor ratings?[/quote]
Losing money for the network, and that's with a massively slashed budget. See if you can find a GL episode from February '08 to the present, when they went with a new look for the show (handheld prosumer cameras, more outdoor scenes), and compare it to an ep. from before that time frame (early-2000s), and you'll see just how many corners they cut to keep the show on the air. The picture quality was absolutely awful.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

tpirfan28

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2009, 03:47:45 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'226522\' date=\'Sep 20 2009, 03:45 PM\']The picture quality was absolutely awful.[/quote]
I tried watching the finale just to see how they would wrap it up.  Looked like a college television production...which is a shame.  But hey, you gotta keep the $$$ going in the right direction anyway you can.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

BrandonFG

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2009, 03:57:49 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'226523\' date=\'Sep 20 2009, 03:47 PM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'226522\' date=\'Sep 20 2009, 03:45 PM\']The picture quality was absolutely awful.[/quote]
I tried watching the finale just to see how they would wrap it up.  Looked like a college television production...which is a shame.  But hey, you gotta keep the $$$ going in the right direction anyway you can.
[/quote]
That was a step up compared to when they changed the look last year. I remember watching outdoor scenes, and the background was so washed out that I couldn't tell the sky from the ground because the camera op failed to close the iris on the camera.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 06:15:11 PM by fostergray82 »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2009, 05:53:28 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'226524\' date=\'Sep 20 2009, 03:57 PM\']That was a step up compared to when they changed the look last year. I remember watching outdoor scenes, and the background was so washed up that I couldn't tell the sky from the ground because the camera op failed to close the iris on the camera.[/quote]
I'm not a soap fan, so I hadn't heard about the change to hand-held digital video cameras and just happened to stumble across it one afternoon.  And yeah, what you said.  I've got no problem with the idea of doing it, but the execution was so spectacularly amateurish that I just wondered what they were thinking.  Yes, the next time I saw it several months later, it had gotten noticeably better, but by then they'd probably scared away that many more viewers.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.