Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Most Jeopardy-Wheel Pre-emptions!  (Read 7292 times)

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
Most Jeopardy-Wheel Pre-emptions!
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2009, 11:18:26 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'228875\' date=\'Oct 20 2009, 04:31 AM\'][quote name=\'Twentington\' post=\'228863\' date=\'Oct 19 2009, 11:11 PM\']More than twice, they've interrupted the show for five to ten minutes just to say "There were reports of a tornado, but it's gone now, don't worry, nothing's on the radar…"[/quote]Doesn't that go along the lines of reporting local news and providing information to the viewing audience?
[/quote]

Yes, but how hard is it to say something to the effect of "There was a tornado, it's gone now, see, there's nothing on the radar. Now back to Wheel." in one minute instead of five or six?

[quote name=\'rugrats1\' post=\'228876\' date=\'Oct 20 2009, 08:00 AM\']Would have been interesting if such an incident happened at the end of Ken Jennings' reign on Jeopardy.[/quote]

Didn't matter; ABC news (on the radio) spoiled that for me anyway.

One more thing WNEM has pre-empted Wheel for: A 30 minute special on THEIR FREAKING WEATHER SYSTEMS.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 11:20:15 AM by Twentington »
Bobby Peacock

xavier45

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2009, 05:21:59 PM »
[quote name=\'Twentington\' post=\'228879\' date=\'Oct 20 2009, 11:18 AM\']One more thing WNEM has pre-empted Wheel for: A 30 minute special on THEIR FREAKING WEATHER SYSTEMS.[/quote]
You won't be happy this Thursday. They will be airing a 30 minute special on Winter Weather, and all the stuff that their radar can do to detect a Winter Storm. That will air at 7:00pm, preempting Jeopardy!

Twentington

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2009, 06:34:19 PM »
[quote name=\'xavier45\' post=\'228896\' date=\'Oct 20 2009, 05:21 PM\'][quote name=\'Twentington\' post=\'228879\' date=\'Oct 20 2009, 11:18 AM\']One more thing WNEM has pre-empted Wheel for: A 30 minute special on THEIR FREAKING WEATHER SYSTEMS.[/quote]
You won't be happy this Thursday. They will be airing a 30 minute special on Winter Weather, and all the stuff that their radar can do to detect a Winter Storm. That will air at 7:00pm, preempting Jeopardy!
[/quote]

WHY the ferjerkers* do we need this? They tell us the same things every season in these specials. I bet 99% of the viewing audience doesn't give a rat's donkey about what Doppler radar means, or that WNEM has a bigger Doppler than anyone else in the area. And we damn sure don't need 30 minutes of this. Do a two minute blurb on the news or something, or offer it as a web exclusive video.

Any idiot can tell you what happens every single winter in Michigan. It gets freaking cold. And I'm sure the 1% that does care about how you forecast the weather** can just Google it or something.

*New minced oath, in case you want to use it.
**It involves a lot of lying, and maybe a round or two of Numberwang.
Bobby Peacock

BrandonFG

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2009, 06:39:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Twentington\' post=\'228897\' date=\'Oct 20 2009, 06:34 PM\']WHY the ferjerkers* do we need this? They tell us the same things every season in these specials. I bet 99% of the viewing audience doesn't give a rat's donkey about what Doppler radar means, or that WNEM has a bigger Doppler than anyone else in the area. And we damn sure don't need 30 minutes of this. Do a two minute blurb on the news or something, or offer it as a web exclusive video.[/quote]
You know, I'd like to think human safety is a tad bit more important than the Prize Puzzle. Yes, it might be a drag, but the world won't come to an end because of it.

/I get these calls anytime we have to interrupt Wheel and/or Jeopardy!
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2009, 06:53:44 PM »
In Saginaw, it's probably is due to the management and the primary weather staff being mostly from out-of-town and not realizing that the people who have lived here all their lives already know how to prepare, drive, etc. in winter weather.  It's sorta like a new news director noticing that it is windy in Chicago or smoggy in LA and doing a special on that.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 06:54:20 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

tpirfan28

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2009, 07:06:41 PM »
They do a three-minute bit during the 11pm news here - mainly because Ollie Williams could do the line in all of two seconds.  A whole 30 minute special, especially for Michigan, is a bit much this early.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Twentington

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2009, 07:14:54 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'228899\' date=\'Oct 20 2009, 06:53 PM\']In Saginaw, it's probably is due to the management and the primary weather staff being mostly from out-of-town and not realizing that the people who have lived here all their lives already know how to prepare, drive, etc. in winter weather.  It's sorta like a new news director noticing that it is windy in Chicago or smoggy in LA and doing a special on that.[/quote]

Agreed. I'm somewhat further north, I don't even DRIVE and I know how I'm supposed to drive in cold weather.

[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'228900\' date=\'Oct 20 2009, 07:06 PM\']A whole 30 minute special, especially for Michigan, is a bit much this early.[/quote]

Agreed.
Bobby Peacock

TimK2003

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2009, 11:53:08 PM »
KDVR/Fox 31 in Denver has greatest idea:  If they have some "serving the community" 30-minute special, they pare down their 60-minute "Fox 31 News @ 9" news show down to the first 30 minutes, then run the "special" in the second half of hour.

Although Fox 31 doesn't have WOF or J!, it's a great concept to use, plus it's better pre-emption for a news block than any other spot in the day.  Now if they shortened the news for a 30-minute prostate infomercial.... :P

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2009, 12:24:14 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'228898\' date=\'Oct 20 2009, 05:39 PM\'][quote name=\'Twentington\' post=\'228897\' date=\'Oct 20 2009, 06:34 PM\']WHY the ferjerkers* do we need this? They tell us the same things every season in these specials. I bet 99% of the viewing audience doesn't give a rat's donkey about what Doppler radar means, or that WNEM has a bigger Doppler than anyone else in the area. And we damn sure don't need 30 minutes of this. Do a two minute blurb on the news or something, or offer it as a web exclusive video.[/quote]
You know, I'd like to think human safety is a tad bit more important than the Prize Puzzle. Yes, it might be a drag, but the world won't come to an end because of it. [/quote]
That's not human safety, that's e-peen.

/TV-peen?

Twentington

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2009, 03:56:19 PM »
[quote name=\'Mr. Armadillo\' post=\'228938\' date=\'Oct 21 2009, 12:24 PM\']That's not human safety, that's e-peen.

/TV-peen?[/quote]

Indeed it is. I just couldn't find the words to say it.
Bobby Peacock

Terry K

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2009, 12:53:17 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'228899\' date=\'Oct 20 2009, 05:53 PM\']In Saginaw, it's probably is due to the management and the primary weather staff being mostly from out-of-town and not realizing that the people who have lived here all their lives already know how to prepare, drive, etc. in winter weather.  It's sorta like a new news director noticing that it is windy in Chicago or smoggy in LA and doing a special on that.[/quote]

Meredith (WNEM's owner) goes all out in KC with KCTV and severe weather.  If you wanna see what I mean, go to www.firekatie.com and see how irate their viewers get.  Luckily, Wheel & J! are on KSHB/NBC and Wheel goes at 6:30 and J! goes at I think 4:30.  Meredith *had* Wheel & J! until a couple years ago when KSHB grabbed 'em (and in HD as well!)

tmq800

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2009, 07:22:50 PM »
[quote name=\'trainman\' post=\'228858\' date=\'Oct 19 2009, 10:54 PM\']I would argue that KABC (L.A.) and KGO (San Francisco) still hold the record, from the days of "Monday Night Football" on ABC -- they would slide the episodes back a day to account for the Monday pre-emption, but often the Saturday broadcast (i.e., the Friday show) would be pre-empted by college football or something else.[/quote]

They preempted Wheel on Saturday during the 2005-06 college football season because of late college games starting at 4 pm PT.  J! aired immediately after the game.

GrandMasterGalvatron

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2009, 01:19:23 AM »
Well, I've definitely got least here with WVEC.  99% of the time, it's only preempted on weekends, due to racing or football.  There have been some weekday ones, like recently with some Project Green nonsense, but those are very rare.

I think the station is very well aware of the popularity of both shows, and only preempts new shows when it has to.