Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Fox GS coming soon: "My Little Genius"..  (Read 12798 times)

davemackey

New Fox GS coming soon: "My Little Genius"..
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2010, 10:41:52 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'233891\' date=\'Jan 8 2010, 06:14 PM\']Dotto's producer Edward Jurist explained that the world of information was so vast that “you cannot ask random questions of people and have a show. You simply have failure, failure, failure, and that does not make for entertainment."[/quote]
Not to steer this too far afield but didn't Ed Jurist eventually wind up writing sitcoms? I think he worked on "Gimme a Break".

wxfrcaster

« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2010, 01:18:04 AM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'233918\' date=\'Jan 8 2010, 10:41 PM\'][quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'233891\' date=\'Jan 8 2010, 06:14 PM\']Dotto's producer Edward Jurist explained that the world of information was so vast that “you cannot ask random questions of people and have a show. You simply have failure, failure, failure, and that does not make for entertainment."[/quote]
Not to steer this too far afield but didn't Ed Jurist eventually wind up writing sitcoms? I think he worked on "Gimme a Break".
[/quote]

Seems like I have seen that name on many a Bewitched episode as well.  Again, sorry for going off-topic.  But then again, Robert Q. Lewis was in two episodes as a photographer and tv producer.  :)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2010, 02:28:56 PM »
[quote name=\'bandit_bobby\' post=\'233877\' date=\'Jan 8 2010, 09:57 AM\']Folks, that's the first game show scandal like this since the 1950s (most notably with "Twenty-One").[/quote]If you really believe that, then you either have zero perspective on what the quiz show scandals were, and what their effect was, or you just live in a cave.

The Scandals of the Fifties irrevocably transformed a genre. Quiz shows disappeared for years, replaced by other sub-phyla of game shows. The Our Little Genius problem will be confined to a single program. Jeopardy, Millionaire and the others will soldier on.

The problem is that we don't know the extent of the Genius issues. Mark Burnett may be incapable of creating an original quiz show, but he's no dummy. He wouldn't risk Survivor or The Apprentice just to get Genius on the map. Personally, I think MBP should stick to the "reality" and leave the quizzes to the people who know how to do 'em.
Travis L. Eberle

tvrandywest

« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2010, 05:59:30 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'233918\' date=\'Jan 8 2010, 07:41 PM\'][quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'233891\' date=\'Jan 8 2010, 06:14 PM\']Dotto's producer Edward Jurist explained that the world of information was so vast that “you cannot ask random questions of people and have a show. You simply have failure, failure, failure, and that does not make for entertainment."[/quote]
[/quote]
He went on to a zillion sitcoms and dramas... writing epsiodes of everything from "77 Sunset Strip" to "the patty Duke Show" to "Gimme A Break"... to producing "The Flying Nun".

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

weaklink75

« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2010, 04:15:24 PM »
Per a tweet from The Futon Critic, apparently the Fox execs didn't know about the potential problems with the show until 24 hours before they pulled it- something spooked them obviously...

Unrealtor

« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2010, 12:15:56 PM »
Kevin Pollak reported on his internet "chat show" last night that they're planning to re-shoot and the premiere will air in early March.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."