Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A death during a Wipeout taping  (Read 2680 times)

Matt Ottinger

A death during a Wipeout taping
« on: December 01, 2009, 08:42:55 PM »
A contestant died a couple of weeks ago while participating in a Wipeout taping for the upcoming third season.   By all indications, the show itself doesn't appear to be in hot water -- he had a pre-existing condition and reports are that the show medics took the proper precautions -- but with the scrutiny given to reality shows, including one like this with so many game show elements to it, I'm a little surprised that it seems to have flown under our radar.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 09:07:45 PM »
You sound like a couple of news directors I've worked for.

chad1m

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 09:10:28 PM »
I'd seen the report at various outlets (game show-related ones, too) but I didn't think about it not being here. But he didn't die on-set, right? He just noticed he was having some problems and they sent him to the hospital.

JayDLewis

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 09:35:09 PM »
I believe he had the pre-existing condition, fell on-set, paramedics took him to the hospital and he died 2 weeks later.

I may be wrong about the ToD but it wasn't on the course.
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything

NickS

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 10:11:59 PM »
This brings up an interesting point; no matter how many precautions a show can take or try to take - someone's going to get hurt.  It's happened, IIRC, on Japan's "Muscle Ranking" show; I don't know whether or not it happened on "Takeshi's Castle," the precursor to Wipeout.

Mr. Bill

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 08:09:38 AM »
[quote name=\'TeppanYaki\' post=\'231495\' date=\'Dec 1 2009, 10:11 PM\']This brings up an interesting point; no matter how many precautions a show can take or try to take - someone's going to get hurt.  It's happened, IIRC, on Japan's "Muscle Ranking" show; I don't know whether or not it happened on "Takeshi's Castle," the precursor to Wipeout.[/quote]
It happened all the time on the various incarnations of American Gladiators.