Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Top Ten Moments of the 2000s  (Read 10260 times)

chad1m

Top Ten Moments of the 2000s
« on: December 07, 2009, 12:54:56 PM »
My About.com article for this week is what are my personal top ten game show moments of these past ten years. I tried to balance out my personal feelings with what was really important and I think I came up with a decent list, which you may view by clicking here. Also later in the week, we'll have some top-notch game show personalities divulge what they feel the top moment is and I'll post that list when it is released. :) I'd like to know what everyone else's moments are too - what do you feel is missing from my list and what would you put on your list of the top game show moments of the double-naughts?

Robair

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 01:25:27 PM »
Bob Barker's retirement from TPIR ain't there? Love or hate the guy, whenever someone of his durability hangs it up in I don't care what field, it transcends that particular field and becomes Big News.
--Robair

bandit_bobby

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 01:57:45 PM »
The first million dollar win on "TPIR", as well as the perfect Showcase bid, should've both been on the list.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 02:24:00 PM »
[quote name=\'bandit_bobby\' post=\'231753\' date=\'Dec 7 2009, 01:57 PM\']The first million dollar win on "TPIR".[/quote]I'll just venture the opinion that a million dollar win is no longer worth of extraneous media attention.  With many million dollar winners since Carpenter, this isn't a special occurrence anymore.

/Brick wall, I know.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

wheelloon

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 02:44:19 PM »
[quote name=\'bandit_bobby\' post=\'231753\' date=\'Dec 7 2009, 01:57 PM\']The first million dollar win on "TPIR".[/quote]

And if such is the case, then you gotta put in the first million dollar winner on Wheel, the first million dollar win on 5th grader, the first million dollar win on DoND, the first million dollar win on Don't Forget the Lyrics (EDIT: or not), the first million dollar win on 21...

Yeah, you should be able to see where I'm going. If not, then I echo Modor's sentiments...
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 08:04:42 PM by wheelloon »
"I'm dressed as one of the most frightening figures known to man...

A TV game show host."--Pat Sajak

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 02:51:13 PM »
[quote name=\'bandit_bobby\' post=\'231753\' date=\'Dec 7 2009, 01:57 PM\']The first million dollar win on "TPIR", as well as the perfect Showcase bid, should've both been on the list.[/quote]
What the others said about the million dollar win. Had the perfect Showcase not turned into Pricegate 2008, I'd say maybe. But the resulting controversy almost turned what could've been an historic moment into the next Quiz Show Scandal.

I think O'Hurley taking over Feud is a bit random. He revitalized the show, and the show feels a bit more old-school, but that's not that noteworthy IMO. I'd replace that with Drew taking over for Bob.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

bandit_bobby

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 03:10:54 PM »
Now that you all have said that, I don't think the "1 vs. 100" $1M win should be there.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 03:51:00 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'231760\' date=\'Dec 7 2009, 11:51 AM\']Had the perfect Showcase not turned into Pricegate 2008, I'd say maybe. But the resulting controversy almost turned what could've been an historic moment into the next Quiz Show Scandal.[/quote]
QFT. Manufactured "moments" aren't moments.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 11:57:03 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'231764\' date=\'Dec 7 2009, 03:51 PM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'231760\' date=\'Dec 7 2009, 11:51 AM\']Had the perfect Showcase not turned into Pricegate 2008, I'd say maybe. But the resulting controversy almost turned what could've been an historic moment into the next Quiz Show Scandal.[/quote]QFT. Manufactured "moments" aren't moments.[/quote]
And why, exactly, is somebody achieving a perfect bid through means that the show has actively encouraged for decades a "manufactured" moment?

BrandonFG

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 12:44:41 AM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'231793\' date=\'Dec 7 2009, 11:57 PM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'231764\' date=\'Dec 7 2009, 03:51 PM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'231760\' date=\'Dec 7 2009, 11:51 AM\']Had the perfect Showcase not turned into Pricegate 2008, I'd say maybe. But the resulting controversy almost turned what could've been an historic moment into the next Quiz Show Scandal.[/quote]QFT. Manufactured "moments" aren't moments.[/quote]
And why, exactly, is somebody achieving a perfect bid through means that the show has actively encouraged for decades a "manufactured" moment?
[/quote]
Let me turn your question into a question. Why was that exact process treated as if it were Dan Enright telling someone to say "On The Waterfront" instead of "Marty"?

IMO, the perfect bid (despite the circumstances) wasn't the problem. Like you just wrote, the audience is encouraged to shout out the answer. The audience member who yelled out the answer just happened to be a real-life Raymond Babbitt. The handling of the situation should've been done after the taping IMHO, and not leading to this big debate of whether the win was legit. Again, the audience shouts out the dollar amounts of every TV, fridge, and car offered. Why does the Showcase get treated any differently? The show is called "The Price is Right" for a reason.

Drew, in his (understandable) frustration, drained all the drama with the way he presented the win. It was a "Let's get this over with and forget it ever happened" reaction. I like his hosting style, but I thought he completely dropped the ball with it. Not to be a fanb0i, but he should've faked it the best way he knew how, esp. given his improv background. It's water under the bridge, but it definitely flubbed what could've been a greater moment.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 01:01:59 AM by fostergray82 »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 12:59:16 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'231799\' date=\'Dec 8 2009, 12:44 AM\']Let me turn your question into a question. Why was that exact process treated as if it were Dan Enright telling someone to say "On The Waterfront" instead of "Marty"?[/quote]
Because everybody thought the point of 21 was that the contestants were coming up with these difficult answers themselves.  The Price Is Right is the exact opposite -- people expect to the players to get help, to the point that Clock Game has to have its own rule forbidding it.

The rest of your post I actually think is a very good assessment.

Sonic Whammy

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 01:34:28 AM »
Two moments I'd consider both involve Drew, actually: His takeover of Price, which many here said, and Jamie Sadler doing the unplanned by winning the million on Power of 10's first show.
Brian Sapinski

Just Brian Sapinski... for now

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2009, 03:30:41 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'231799\' date=\'Dec 7 2009, 09:44 PM\']IMO, the perfect bid (despite the circumstances) wasn't the problem. Like you just wrote, the audience is encouraged to shout out the answer.[/quote]
I agree. The guy on stage had every right to use the information provided to him.
The audience member who yelled out the answer just happened to be a real-life Raymond Babbitt.
And in his douchebaggery (and please, Steve, you may tell him I said that), turned what could have been a great moment into a non-moment. That's how I see it. If Drew had sold it correctly, it still would have been douchebaggery seeing as Ted was pretty quick to brag to anyone willing to listen that it was all his doing.

Strip it from the list. Or include it, but add a big fat asterisk to it. Hell, use one of the ones on Contestant's Row if it'll make you happy.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2009, 10:39:11 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'231809\' date=\'Dec 8 2009, 03:30 AM\']And in his douchebaggery (and please, Steve, you may tell him I said that), turned what could have been a great moment into a non-moment. That's how I see it. If Drew had sold it correctly, it still would have been douchebaggery seeing as Ted was pretty quick to brag to anyone willing to listen that it was all his doing.[/quote]
So basically, in your eyes, you're allowed to give somebody help on national television, but you're not allowed to tell anyone you're the one doing it.

...sure, Chris.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2009, 11:10:07 AM »
The audience member giving the help and/or the contestant on stage could have been a little less precise and the contestant would have won anyway.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 11:42:08 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.