Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: As The World Turns Cancelled  (Read 50473 times)

Winkfan

As The World Turns Cancelled
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2009, 03:48:31 AM »
I STILL think Al DuBois SHOULD host the next PYL remake!

Cordially,
Tammy

P.S. The soap opera as WE knew it died long, long ago.....
In Loving Memory: Dolores "Roxanne" Rosedale (1929-2024) & Peter Marshall (1926-2024)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2009, 06:07:59 AM »
[quote name=\'Winkfan\' post=\'232023\' date=\'Dec 10 2009, 03:48 AM\']I STILL think Al DuBois SHOULD host the next PYL remake![/quote]Why?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 09:09:22 AM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

BrandonFG

« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2009, 09:24:04 AM »
[quote name=\'Winkfan\' post=\'232023\' date=\'Dec 10 2009, 03:48 AM\']I STILL think Al DuBois SHOULD host the next PYL remake![/quote]
And you know that's not going to happen. CBS is not going with an obscure name from an obscure game show, that, outside of the occasional GSN rerun, has not aired in almost 20 years.

It's just the nature of Game Shows 2010 (Kanye shrug). The days of relative unknowns hosting a daytime game show are more or less gone. 9 times out of 10*, it's either a comedian, someone who you know you've seen somewhere ("That's the guy who was in...that show! Yeah him!") or in GSN's case, former 70s-90s household names.

/*The 10th is Rossi Moreale
//And you see how that turned out
///He was actually a fairly decent host
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2009, 12:52:04 PM »
Press Your Luck is one of the flimsiest game formats ever to see the light of day. It should never have been put on in the first place. If CBS were smart they would go with a non-FMNA property.

Ricki Lake was infected with the Frank Nicotero shouting disease. Imagine the late Billy Mays emceeing a game show.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 12:54:50 PM by chris319 »

tyshaun1

« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2009, 02:07:18 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'232038\' date=\'Dec 10 2009, 12:52 PM\']Press Your Luck is one of the flimsiest game formats ever to see the light of day. It should never have been put on in the first place. If CBS were smart they would go with a non-FMNA property.[/quote]

I always wonder why Press gets called out the most often on this. There are several shows where the game at its core is not the strongest, IMO, such as Card Sharks and High Rollers. Basically any gambling based game is a "watch what happens" affair with minimal play along, that's why they all of them have Q&A, to have more of a play at home element. PYL is basically Second Chance with a faster format and a flashier set, but it also added entertaining contestants, a host who handled the game perfectly, and a humorous "villian" who made the risk more impactful.

Tyshaun
/I do like CS and HR, I'm just making a point.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2009, 04:21:40 PM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' post=\'232042\' date=\'Dec 10 2009, 11:07 AM\']I always wonder why Press gets called out the most often on this.[/quote]
My guess is because there is a huge mob of PYL groupies who swallow the bait and rush to defend their show as soon as someone does. Which is entertaining.
and a humorous "villian" who made the risk more impactful.
...particularly when they cite this as evidence. What the hell does this even mean? Losing your money is losing your money, and it doesn't matter if it's a little cartoon demon or the disembodied head of Colin Mochrie ridiculing you when it happens.

/"Stop...on Colin Mochrie! Oh, no!"
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Neumms

« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2009, 05:57:14 PM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' post=\'232042\' date=\'Dec 10 2009, 02:07 PM\']I always wonder why Press gets called out the most often on this. There are several shows where the game at its core is not the strongest, IMO, such as Card Sharks and High Rollers. Basically any gambling based game is a "watch what happens" affair with minimal play along, that's why they all of them have Q&A, to have more of a play at home element.[/quote]

The play-along is whether the player should pass or press on, just like it is on "Deal or No Deal." PYL has the element of having to outscore your competitors, which is what gives it some semblance of strategy. Compared to LMAD, it's frigging chess. Given how simple the questions are, this would be ideal for CBS, not that I wouldn't rather see a version of Regis Password instead.

"High Rollers" had one major flaw--the players always passed if there were bad rolls so there was virtually no gambling.

MizzouRah!

« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2009, 09:15:12 PM »
I'm going to go slightly off the board w/ this, but what about a resurrection of Supermarket Sweep? Maybe a little cheesy, but it always pulled respectable ratings as a cable show and has never been on network TV(excluding the original). It also has built in product placement like crazy and would seem to appeal to the demographic in daytime TV.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2009, 09:47:33 PM »
Outside of answering questions, Press Your Luck consists simply of pressing a plunger and deciding whether to press it again. The set, contestants, emcee and the animated Whammy are known in the industry as "window dressing" and are not integral to the format. Card Sharks is not far behind in terms of format flimsiness. High Rollers had a scintilla of strategy.

There is no monolithic game known as "Let's Make A Deal". It consists of a wide variety of deals which are as clever as the producers choose to make them be. In the current version I see far too many "Do you want the cash or what's behind the curtain?" deals. If Monty and Stefan had kept the show that simple when it first started out, it would likely have been cancelled after 13 weeks.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 09:48:40 PM by chris319 »

tvwxman

« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2009, 09:54:31 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'232038\' date=\'Dec 10 2009, 12:52 PM\']Press Your Luck is one of the flimsiest game formats ever to see the light of day.[/quote]
Which is exactly why CBS will consider it : they learned from MDPassword that the audience doesn't care for intellectual shows...they want curtains and zonks, carnival games and big wheels. Press Your Luck would fit in nicely with that....and I too am no fan of PYL.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

tpirfan28

« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2009, 09:59:18 PM »
[quote name=\'MizzouRah!\' post=\'232076\' date=\'Dec 10 2009, 09:15 PM\']I'm going to go slightly off the board w/ this, but what about a resurrection of Supermarket Sweep?[/quote]
I like the way you think.  Pair it up with some-dollar-value Pyramid and there's an hour.  And it's not a budget-buster, either ($1,000 mini-sweep, $4,500 in the sweep itself, and a bump-up to $10,000 in the bonus sweep).
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

J.R.

« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2009, 10:43:27 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'232080\' date=\'Dec 10 2009, 08:47 PM\']Outside of answering questions, Press Your Luck consists simply of pressing a plunger and deciding whether to press it again. The set, contestants, emcee and the animated Whammy are known in the industry as "window dressing" and are not integral to the format. Card Sharks is not far behind in terms of format flimsiness. High Rollers had a scintilla of strategy.[/quote]
Didn't Mark Goodson openly criticize PYL? Do you remember what exactly he said about it?
-Joe Raygor

tyshaun1

« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2009, 11:41:26 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'232055\' date=\'Dec 10 2009, 04:21 PM\']...particularly when they cite this as evidence. What the hell does this even mean? Losing your money is losing your money, and it doesn't matter if it's a little cartoon demon or the disembodied head of Colin Mochrie ridiculing you when it happens.

/"Stop...on Colin Mochrie! Oh, no!"[/quote]
And I'm sure if Colin was your penalty character, he'd be just as well remembered as the Whammy is today. I should have added "to the viewer" to the impact line. I wasn't necessarily defending PYL, I completely understand why people don't like it..... I just wanted to point out that there are other games in its neighborhood, too.

Tyshaun
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 11:42:23 PM by tyshaun1 »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2009, 04:23:43 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'232081\' date=\'Dec 10 2009, 06:54 PM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'232038\' date=\'Dec 10 2009, 12:52 PM\']Press Your Luck is one of the flimsiest game formats ever to see the light of day.[/quote]
Which is exactly why CBS will consider it : they learned from MDPassword that the audience doesn't care for intellectual shows...they want curtains and zonks, carnival games and big wheels. Press Your Luck would fit in nicely with that....and I too am no fan of PYL.[/quote]
How big a splash did "Whammy" make on GSN, despite all the fan enthusiasm for it? But yeah, you would never put Jeopardy! on in daytime.

I'm surprised nobody's suggested trotting out Tattletales.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 04:28:33 AM by chris319 »

DrBear

« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2009, 06:57:47 AM »
The sort of celebrity couple you have today wouldn't go within a mile of Tattletales.
(Although I could go to sleep tonight dreaming of Tiger Woods appearing, perhaps with his entire harem).

Just a thought - I'm an old-timer myself, but couldn't the network come up with a NEW game show idea instead of recycling?
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.