Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: LMAD Watchers?  (Read 9845 times)

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
LMAD Watchers?
« on: December 16, 2009, 12:28:48 AM »
Seeing a summary of a more recent show, it seems like the deals on the new LMAD are getting marginally better. Is there anyone here who's bothered to check out the show lately, or even that stuck with it who could shed some light? Is the show improving? Or in the same territory as before?

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

beatlefreak84

LMAD Watchers?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 12:49:28 AM »
I have been watching the show pretty much any day that I'm home when it comes on (usually only on Tuesdays), but I would agree that I feel the show has improved a lot.  I'm loving the rapport between Wayne and Jonathan, and the deals are getting more engaging and creative.  Granted, some fall flat, but others are quite enjoyable.

The Big Deal still rubs me the wrong way; I don't like how Wayne draws out fake suspense when it's clear the last door opened is always the Big Deal.  And I still think an hour is too long; it's engaging, but I don't think I could watch it every day during the week and still be entertained over the course of a year.

While some deals are getting more imaginative, a good number of them are still some variation of "Bucks or box/Cash or curtain?"  As much as I'd like to see the show succeed to hopefully pave the way for more game shows in daytime, I'd probably be as shocked as anyone if it got renewed for next season.

Long story short:  Yes; I do see marked improvements in the show, but, personally, I still don't see the show keeping viewers interested for a long period of time.

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

J.R.

LMAD Watchers?
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 03:01:35 AM »
I catch it whenever I can, quite a harmless way to spend an hour.

Am I the only one who thinks the theme and incidental music are quite... weak?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 03:01:45 AM by J.R. »
-Joe Raygor

BrandonFG

LMAD Watchers?
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 03:28:55 AM »
[quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'232395\' date=\'Dec 16 2009, 03:01 AM\']I catch it whenever I can, quite a harmless way to spend an hour.

Am I the only one who thinks the theme and incidental music are quite... weak?[/quote]
I watch it when I can, usually at work...it's a pretty harmless way to spend the hour, and yes the games have gotten a bit more creative. Wayne and Jonathan do have great chemistry, but there's something lacking. It seems like the typical Fremantle production, cookie-cutter, but not the worst thing in the world either. I'd put it in more of the Family Feud or Million Dollar Password category: cookie-cutter and could be so much better, but could also be absolutely abysmal like Temptation or Card Sharks 01.

And just like your typical Fremantle production, the theme seems to be an endless loop of :30 stock music that sounds like the demo function on a Casio keyboard. All the more reason I'd love to hear a clear copy of the LMaD80 theme song.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

chrisholland03

LMAD Watchers?
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 12:29:07 PM »
LMaD is getting its rhythm and turning into a pretty good show.  I just can't watch the whole hour...it's just too long.

TimK2003

LMAD Watchers?
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 12:50:57 PM »
I have seen the show on average about 1.5 times a week.  Agreed that they are improving on the contents of the show.  I still would like to see the Monty Hall Big Deal era return (2 contestants v 3 doors) though, and Wayne needs to drop the suspense on whether or not the first door revealed is the Big Deal, since it NEVER IS!!!

Two other little pet peeves I have about the show that I don't believe have been mentioned:

1)  Why does Wayne have to ask the crowd EVERY FREAKIN TIME "Who wants to make a deal?", followed by 20-30 seconds of club music in the background???  What happened to the Monty Hall style where the crowd was quiet, and Monty would say some things while walking around a particular section of the trading floor then all of a sudden ask someone to stand up for the next deal with little or no fanfare??? Can't there be a mix of the Monty & Wayne styles of picking contestants???

2)  That trombone Zonk music is getting a little annoying along with the obligatory "what little sound effect cue would go best with this zonk?".  If this was a 30-minute show, the WAH WAH WAHHHHH wouldn't be as grating since it would be more limited, but let's add a little variety in the "Zonk" cues, and drop the pointless, obligatory sfx.

BTW, I may be heading out to Sin City in Feb/Mar.  Has anybody attended a LMAD taping yet?  How soon do you have to get into a line to insure you get in?  How long does it currently take to shoot a complete show?  Etc....

Jeremy Nelson

LMAD Watchers?
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 01:17:20 PM »
I still watch whenever I'm home and have the time.

I like some of the games they have played so far (my favorite is "Keep on Rollin"). It seems they've decided not to step on Price's toes by not reviving any variation of the "price the item within this range" game.

The music package isn't the greatest, but it's not terrible- it gets the job done.

The Big Deal reveal grates me. If the Big Deal is always revealed last, why build up suspense? Just do it Monty-style, because eventually, people will catch on (if they haven't already).

Quick question, though: I dunno how often Jay Stewart was part of the Zonk "skit", but can't a contestant basically sniff one out if Jonathan comes up missing all of a sudden?

Overall, I'm liking the show. Hopefully they don't experience a sophomore slump.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

tvmitch

LMAD Watchers?
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 03:41:49 PM »
Ratings in our market for the show were good enough for CBS that if the show got the ratings it did here nationwide, it would be a surefire bet for renewal.
You should follow me on Twitter

TimK2003

LMAD Watchers?
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 08:53:35 PM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'232432\' date=\'Dec 16 2009, 11:17 AM\']I like some of the games they have played so far (my favorite is "Keep on Rollin"). It seems they've decided not to step on Price's toes by not reviving any variation of the "price the item within this range" game.[/quote]

Funny you should mention that.  On today's show, they played what pretty much was a larger scale version of Keep or Give.  But then again, KoG has been retired from Price, hasn't it?

Lirodon

LMAD Watchers?
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 09:04:34 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'232469\' date=\'Dec 16 2009, 08:53 PM\'][quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'232432\' date=\'Dec 16 2009, 11:17 AM\']I like some of the games they have played so far (my favorite is "Keep on Rollin"). It seems they've decided not to step on Price's toes by not reviving any variation of the "price the item within this range" game.[/quote]

Funny you should mention that.  On today's show, they played what pretty much was a larger scale version of Keep or Give.  But then again, KoG has been retired from Price, hasn't it?
[/quote]

to quote the big book of nitpicking, Give or Keep

Yeah, it sorta had that Give or Keep-like scenario, except rather than two prizes with unknown prices per pair, it was one prize with a known price, and one unknown prize.

J.R.

LMAD Watchers?
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 09:28:32 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'232469\' date=\'Dec 16 2009, 07:53 PM\']But then again, KoG has been retired from Price, hasn't it?[/quote]
Yep, since 1990.

/Shame, really. I liked that game.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 09:28:59 PM by J.R. »
-Joe Raygor

Vgmastr

LMAD Watchers?
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 10:09:54 PM »
I DVR the show everyday, and variety in the deals have gotten so much better.  Even when they do a "this or that" deal, they usually throw in some kind of clue or stipulation to make it unique and interesting.  There was one deal last week I thought was clever.  Wayne offers someone cash or a box, they choose the box and it's a broken umbrella.  Wayne gets another contestant and offers them cash or a curtain, they take the curtain and it's a pile of broken umbrellas.  Now Wayne gets another contestant and tells them no more broken umbrellas.  Again, cash or a box, they take the box and it's a working umbrella.  Finally, another contestant is picked and is told no more umbrellas of any kind.  Cash or a curtain, they pick the curtain, and it's a trip to the Amazon Rainforest.  Now, I saw the working umbrella coming, but I wasn't sure what the last deal would be, and thought the Rainforest trip was a clever finale.  Like others have said, there is still room for improvement, but I thoroughly enjoy the show.

pds319

LMAD Watchers?
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 11:17:51 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'232424\' date=\'Dec 16 2009, 01:50 PM\']BTW, I may be heading out to Sin City in Feb/Mar.  Has anybody attended a LMAD taping yet?  How soon do you have to get into a line to insure you get in?  How long does it currently take to shoot a complete show?  Etc....[/quote]

Well if you want to give yourself a better shot of getting in, try On Camera Audiences. The times are listed and you can get your tickets from the site and print them. Just keep checking back to find a date closer to your trip. I haven't been, but an easy hour and a half would be a fair recommendation. I may be heading there this weekend so I'll keep you posted if I do make it.

In regards to taping length, I'm assuming a live-to-tape situation with relatively few pick-ups so roughly an hour and a half to two hour taping at most. It looks like they shoot twice a day with, oddly, a third show being taped an hour after the 2:00 p.m. show this Thursday. I'm wondering if that's a mistake or if they're going to just install a revolving door.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 11:21:32 PM by pds319 »

wxfrcaster

LMAD Watchers?
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 11:48:22 PM »
I went back in October to a taping, that did not air in Norfolk due to a Nor'easter.  We lined up at 11:45 for the 2 PM show - had no trouble getting in.  After the interview process (in which we were asked one question), we got seated around 3 PM in the studio - and taping was done by 4:30 PM.  We had some good costumes, so Rocco, the warm-up guy pulled us from the line and sat us right behind Wayne's home base.

All in all, it was a fun show.  And without tipping off the production staff - yes, you can sniff.  Had I been picked as a contestant, there were several times I would have known a Zonk was behind the curtain because someone wasn't at his announcer's stand.  ;)  Though the person I was with was too busy paying attention to the show to notice, as I think a lot of contestants are.  One thing I did find odd was the amount of cue cards Wayne relied on.  I know the deals are complicated at times, and there is a lot to remember, but he really did use them a lot.

Jeremy Nelson

LMAD Watchers?
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2009, 11:54:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Lirodon\' post=\'232470\' date=\'Dec 16 2009, 08:04 PM\']Yeah, it sorta had that Give or Keep-like scenario, except rather than two prizes with unknown prices per pair, it was one prize with a known price, and one unknown prize.[/quote]
Yeah, until you got up the last prize, which was a car and something that wasn't anywhere near the price of a car. I liked the game up until that point, when it became apparent that its outcome hinged on the last pair, making the first two pairs irrelevant. It would have been fine if they just used two trips for that last pair.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.