Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Announcers calling host's names  (Read 5911 times)

aaron sica

Announcers calling host's names
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2003, 02:10:33 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 12 2003, 11:51 AM\'] Ya know, I don't read these posts, and at the same time I don't feel like I'm missing anything, when the first thing that jumps out at me is a full-line drawn-out spelling of John Davidson's name. [/quote]
 Makes me glad I thought twice about posting how I always liked Johnny O's delivery of Bob Barker, although it wasn't going to be a full line long.

Oh what the hey, I guess I'm posting about it now.

I always liked watching the early '80s eps of TPiR, just to hear Johnny O's announcement of Bob - a long, drawn out shout of "Bob" and a very quick "Barker"....

There ya go - much shorter than 1 full line.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2003, 03:46:40 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Nov 12 2003, 12:10 PM\'] Makes me glad I thought twice about posting how I always liked Johnny O's delivery of Bob Barker, although it wasn't going to be a full line long.
 [/quote]
 The other difference, Aaron, is that your posts are properly punctuated, broken up into individual thoughts, and easy to read.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2003, 04:39:45 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 12 2003, 02:46 PM\'] The other difference, Aaron, is that your posts are properly punctuated, broken up into individual thoughts, and easy to read. [/quote]
Isn't it gramatically incorrect to put a comma before an "and?"  :)  

FWIW, I couldn't easily locate a web page with a definitive answer on this burning question.  EDIT--Geez I can't type.

Doug -- OK, I'll be in the GONG88 room if anyone needs me
« Last Edit: November 12, 2003, 05:01:32 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2003, 05:07:08 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 12 2003, 11:51 AM\'] Ya know, I don't read these posts, and at the same time I don't feel like I'm missing anything, when the first thing that jumps out at me is a full-line drawn-out spelling of John Davidson's name. [/quote]
 Chris, thank you for articulating what I've been thinking for the last several months.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2003, 05:09:54 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Nov 12 2003, 04:39 PM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 12 2003, 02:46 PM\'] The other difference, Aaron, is that your posts are properly punctuated, broken up into individual thoughts, and easy to read. [/quote]
Isn't it gramatically incorrect to put a comma before an "and?"  :) [/quote]
Actually, in a list of more than two items, it's grammatically incorrect not to.  Newspapers do it to save space, and everybody else does it because they see newspapers doing it and think, "well, if they do it, it's probably correct."

(Sorry about the multiple posts, guys.)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2003, 05:11:34 PM by Steve Gavazzi »

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2003, 05:37:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'Nov 12 2003, 04:09 PM\'] Actually, in a list of more than two items, it's grammatically incorrect not to.  Newspapers do it to save space, and everybody else does it because they see newspapers doing it and think, "well, if they do it, it's probably correct."
 [/quote]
 I stand corrected, Steve.  And I found a website to back up your post:

Get It Write Online

Doug -- soon to celebrate 200 posts (only 43 of which contain something factually correct)
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)