Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Real and Simulated Signaltron (Flap) Displays  (Read 5352 times)

SFQuizKid

Real and Simulated Signaltron (Flap) Displays
« on: March 03, 2010, 05:28:34 PM »
OK, I'm a display geek.  I suspect that's what got me into game shows way back when.

When redesigning the set for Bay Area Quiz Kids we decided that a simple score display was a bit too dull. There needed to be some action when the score changed. We settled on simulating flap displays.  

To create the right animations we took apart a real Signaltron display (the same make and model as the ones used on all those Bob Stewart shows from the '70s, including Pyramid).  I've put those pictures on my latest blog posting, "Confessions of a Middle Aged Quiz Kid."  It also includes a link to a short video showing the display going from blank to "10."  Yes, the zero followed the "9."

Also I added a link to two sites that show some other vintage displays.  The ST-15 is my Signaltron's "little brother."  You might remember it as the score display on the Who, What, or Where Game.  

The IEE One Plane Readout pre-dated the Signaltrons and was the display on the original Art Fleming Jeopardy! and New York Password.  A German site has pictures of a disassembled IEE readout.  Don't bother trying to read the German, just look at the pretty pictures.

NickS

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 10:30:01 PM »
Seeing how it takes some time and patience to make a Solari-style airport readout in After Effects, I'm digging what you and your cohorts were able to do for BAQK.

geno57

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 02:21:23 AM »
[quote name=\'SFQuizKid\' post=\'236781\' date=\'Mar 3 2010, 04:28 PM\']When redesigning the set for Bay Area Quiz Kids we decided that a simple score display was a bit too dull. There needed to be some action when the score changed. We settled on simulating flap displays.[/quote]

Beautifully done!  And thanks for the fascinating links.

William_S.

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 09:55:33 AM »
@ Solari/Singletron: BRAVO! very impressive! Most impressive

@ Inline/"Slides" : hmm I'm guess the animation would be pretty simple from what little bit I learned from CS4(flash). Just do the symbols with a small blank keyframe inbetween each (key)frame and just run it as a FBF animation.

The links were a nice "look-at" Now I know how the true pioneers did it back then!

TeppanYaki: Seeing how it takes some time and patience to make a Solari-style airport readout in After Effects
Wouldn't be easier(if the same skill) to do the same in flash? ( looking towards AS)

As like others I say thanks , and keep up the great work.

/that was suppose to say *If NOT the same skill.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 12:11:54 PM by William_S. »

NickS

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 10:17:43 AM »
[quote name=\'William_S.\' post=\'236842\' date=\'Mar 4 2010, 08:55 AM\']
TeppanYaki: Seeing how it takes some time and patience to make a Solari-style airport readout in After Effects
Wouldn't be easier(if the same skill) to do the same in flash? ( looking towards AS)
[/quote]

There's probably the same theory but AE and Flash are different enough from each other.  After Effects is more compositing and animation, anyway; Flash has that usefulness in so many different application that it's not funny.

/I really need to take some Flash training
//first comes Edius, though!

Clay Zambo

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 10:35:04 AM »
Congratulations!  I love design elements that fall into the category of Things That Are Cooler Than They Need to Be, and this certainly is one.  Nice work.
czambo@mac.com

davemackey

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 10:39:06 AM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'236847\' date=\'Mar 4 2010, 10:35 AM\']Congratulations!  I love design elements that fall into the category of Things That Are Cooler Than They Need to Be, and this certainly is one.  Nice work.[/quote]
For 45 years I've wondered how that one-plane readout worked. Thanks!

geno57

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 12:53:12 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'236849\' date=\'Mar 4 2010, 09:39 AM\'][quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'236847\' date=\'Mar 4 2010, 10:35 AM\']Congratulations!  I love design elements that fall into the category of Things That Are Cooler Than They Need to Be, and this certainly is one.  Nice work.[/quote]
For 45 years I've wondered how that one-plane readout worked. Thanks!
[/quote]
Yeah, so have I, for closer to 50 years!  They used to use them on elevators, as floor indicators.  But I never got to see the actual device.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 12:53:50 PM by geno57 »

Neumms

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 03:53:46 PM »
Awesome work, and thanks tons for the links. I always thought the numerals on the Signatronic (as on the Pyramid desks) looked crummy. And the one-plane should have been around longer.