Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pay Cards!  (Read 5621 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Pay Cards!
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2010, 05:52:00 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'238102\' date=\'Mar 23 2010, 11:07 AM\']Oh. Apparently not. Although I'm not certain how to make the comments section more prominent when discussing the board game's rules and content is the first thing people want to know.[/quote]How do you know this? Are you surveying the visitors and saying "is this piece meeting your viewing needs?"

When I read a review, I want an overview of the rules. I don't need to know the precise number of tiles in each suit, or how many points each flavor is worth. I want to know why I want those tiles, if the majority bonus is spread when people are tied, or if the game has unhappy ties. I don't want what Tom Vasel does: where every little bit of the game is overexplained to the point of tedium and then to have him highlight a single sentence in each paragraph which when linked could make a serviceable review.

I want to know how the systems work, and if they work together. Do you like the way that Sale of the Century deals with the Fame Game and the Winner's prize cards? Does it bug you that the prizes in the Classic Concentration game go from $500 to $10,000, when that isn't the case on the show? Does the game accurately represent the feel of the show, albeit without the thrill of winning prizes and adulation? Could you play the game with the show's rules with little loss of enjoyment?

The "contents" section should be a paragraph or two. Most people looking at a game show board game will have an idea of what to expect when opening the box. What you can give to the prospective buyer is an idea if the game is worth owning as a board game or as lot 27 in a collection.
Travis L. Eberle

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
Pay Cards!
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2010, 07:08:47 PM »
Travis, I'll definitely keep the post directly above this one to heart should I make another review.

I don't want what Tom Vasel does: where every little bit of the game is overexplained to the point of tedium and then to have him highlight a single sentence in each paragraph which when linked could make a serviceable review.
Should I ask who Tom Vasel is? No, because three seconds on Wikipedia (sprinkle appropriately) told me everything I need to know about him.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 05:55:44 AM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Pay Cards!
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2010, 07:17:31 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'238116\' date=\'Mar 23 2010, 04:08 PM\']Should I ask who Tom Vasel is? No, because three seconds on Wikipedia told me everything I need to know about him.[/quote]
...except the part to which Travis was specifically referring.

But no, don't ask. Really. Don't ask.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Pay Cards!
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2010, 07:28:29 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'238118\' date=\'Mar 23 2010, 04:17 PM\']But no, don't ask. Really. Don't ask.[/quote]Yeah, Wikipedia did a really good job of NOT mentioning his propensity for logorrhea.

Don't do what Tom Vasel does.
Travis L. Eberle

Matt Ottinger

Pay Cards!
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2010, 11:12:17 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'238110\' date=\'Mar 23 2010, 05:52 PM\']The "contents" section should be a paragraph or two. Most people looking at a game show board game will have an idea of what to expect when opening the box. What you can give to the prospective buyer is an idea if the game is worth owning as a board game or as lot 27 in a collection.[/quote]
And frankly, I concentrate on the latter as opposed to the former, so Dan would be supplying a very useful service if he went in that other direction.  The simple reason I focus on the contents first and foremost is that I see my site as a collector's guide, and one of the first things a collector wants to know is whether his game is complete.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.