Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jeopardy minutae  (Read 3273 times)

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Jeopardy minutae
« on: May 01, 2010, 12:49:41 PM »
Glancing at the second Alex Trebek pilot, I couldn't help but notice the small light changing at the bottom of the podiums, indicating whose turn it was. Shortly after, I noticed where this light was on the syndicated reruns playing just that hour. So I decided to go through all the eras of Jeopardy, point out where these lights are located, and share the results with the group. They're in an album on Flickr. I was sort of surprised to find these went all the way back to the Art Fleming days.

All the grabs come from YouTube, so the first Alex Trebek pilot isn't represented due to the low quality of the upload. However, watching my own (clearer) copy, I can report that the second row of "keys" below each player has a small red light on the leftmost "key." The more subtle locations get a pair of grabs to show that they are in fact where I have them circled. The hardest to see is the "grid set" from the 90s. Only a small reflection on the floor can be seen near the bottom right corner of each podium - I imagine the lights themselves were facing Alex Trebek (and I imagine it would be easier to see on a TV versus a blurrier YouTube video).

Coming soon - a point-by-point analysis of the type of light bulbs used on Pyramid. (Please know I'm kidding.)

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Jeopardy minutae
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 03:08:53 PM »
Very minute, and very cool. Thanks for that. :)
If you didn’t create it, it isn’t your content.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
Jeopardy minutae
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 06:26:29 PM »
Interesting stuff, but where did you get such clean shots from the second Trebek pilot?!
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

Unrealtor

Jeopardy minutae
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 11:58:19 PM »
On a similar note, is it just me, or the indicators on the current set gotten much more noticeable within the last few weeks (starting around the time of the last preliminary of the celebrity tournament)? They're bright enough to create a "starburst" effect on the image.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 11:59:46 PM by Unrealtor »
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Jeopardy minutae
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 12:37:41 AM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'240169\' date=\'May 1 2010, 06:26 PM\']Interesting stuff, but where did you get such clean shots from the second Trebek pilot?![/quote]

This promo. Though my personal copies of both pilots are pretty darn good, especially considering my original copy of the 1st was among the most unwatchable shows I've ever received in a trade.

-Jason

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
Jeopardy minutae
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 03:37:10 PM »
Note the combination of clips -- either they mixed shots from Pilot #2 and the series, or a third pilot was shot using the actual Season 1 set/graphics. For now, at least, I'm betting on the former.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 08:09:51 AM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

tvmitch

Jeopardy minutae
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 11:35:34 AM »
Holy crow, this is something I've never noticed before. Very neat set of screengrabs. Now I won't be able to help but notice it.
You should follow me on Twitter

BrandonFG

Jeopardy minutae
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 02:44:07 PM »
Cool find...the nerd in me loves this. Now I won't be able to help BUT look for this on episodes...
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Otm Shank

Jeopardy minutae
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 07:41:03 PM »
I, for one, am floored that there have been turn indicators on camera all of these years.

J.R.

Jeopardy minutae
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 08:21:22 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'240281\' date=\'May 3 2010, 01:44 PM\']Cool find...the nerd in me loves this. Now I won't be able to help BUT look for this on episodes...[/quote]
Just like the arrow in the FedEx logo or the 11 in the Big Ten logo. I notice it all the time now. Heh.
-Joe Raygor

TimK2003

Jeopardy minutae
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 10:20:57 AM »
Awesome find.  Not just because someone noticed it on just the current set, but to sleuth it out and find instances on all of the incarnations over the past 40+ years.

The closest subtle set lights I could ever come up with was the "lock in" lights on Three On A Match when the three contestants would select the number of questions they were bidding on.  But those were more obvious (I think) than the lights on Jeopardy.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Jeopardy minutae
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 11:21:46 AM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'240320\' date=\'May 4 2010, 10:20 AM\']Awesome find.  Not just because someone noticed it on just the current set, but to sleuth it out and find instances on all of the incarnations over the past 40+ years.[/quote]

Glad you said that - the rerun I was watching had the podiums from the HD conversion. I've since updated the photo set to include them.

-Jason