Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Carmen Sandiego Question  (Read 2310 times)

SwohS Emag

Carmen Sandiego Question
« on: May 10, 2010, 05:16:43 PM »
I'm trying to recall a specific song (and a brilliant performance) that Rockapella performed during a particular episode of Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?.

The "facts" I have:

1. I'm pretty sure it was during Season 5, but possibly could have been Season 4.
2. Their song was the first clue of the show, and Rockapella performed it in the alley.
3. During the Lightning Round of that episode, Rockapella also sang a brief clip of Chattanooga Choo Choo.
4. The episode is not about the MV Liemba (in which Rockapella sang this song when Loot was uncovered in Round 2).

Thank you to anyone who might be able to shed a little light on this for me.

chad1m

Carmen Sandiego Question
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 05:49:25 PM »
Could it be "Zombie Jamboree", as discussed in this thread?

SwohS Emag

Carmen Sandiego Question
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 09:52:48 AM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'240609\' date=\'May 10 2010, 05:49 PM\']Could it be "Zombie Jamboree", as discussed in this thread?[/quote]

Thank you for the suggestion (interesting thread, too), but I'm pretty sure that wasn't it.

I do remember watching it in 1996, so it must have been the last season, and I know for sure that a snip of "Choo Choo" was played/sung during the Lightning round.

This mystery song was a real toe-tapper, though.  It's a shame this show has been forgotten and can't be shown in reruns - the writing and talent on it is leaps and bounds above many of today's primetime network sitcoms.

1984Gameshowsfan

Carmen Sandiego Question
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 11:36:19 AM »
[quote name=\'SwohS Emag\' post=\'240637\' date=\'May 11 2010, 06:52 AM\'][quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'240609\' date=\'May 10 2010, 05:49 PM\']Could it be "Zombie Jamboree", as discussed in this thread?[/quote]

Thank you for the suggestion (interesting thread, too), but I'm pretty sure that wasn't it.

I do remember watching it in 1996, so it must have been the last season, and I know for sure that a snip of "Choo Choo" was played/sung during the Lightning round.

This mystery song was a real toe-tapper, though.  It's a shame this show has been forgotten and can't be shown in reruns - the writing and talent on it is leaps and bounds above many of today's primetime network sitcoms.
[/quote]

That is a shame that Carmen Sandiego can't be rerun, it was one of my favorites growing up; when I was in elementary school after I got home(and if I didn't have any homework) I would watch that show, the USA Network game shows, or the Disney Afternoon, of course it didn't hurt that for most of my elementary school years I lived down the street from the school that I attended, which was pretty nice and it meant that I got home from school usually pretty quickly. Back to Carmen Sandiego though, it sucks that there's no reruns of the show but at least there's Youtube, where you can search for whatever you want to watch and you can watch it any time you want, basically what VHS was and what DVD's are now

Vahan_Nisanian

Carmen Sandiego Question
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 12:39:05 PM »
Sorry if this sounds ignorant, but can't they just put up a disclaimer at the beginning of the show, or during, that all information on the show is outdated by today's standards.

SwohS Emag

Carmen Sandiego Question
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 12:47:41 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowlover87\' post=\'240645\' date=\'May 11 2010, 12:39 PM\']Sorry if this sounds ignorant, but can't they just put up a disclaimer at the beginning of the show, or during, that all information on the show is outdated by today's standards.[/quote]

I think the show would be a good fit for Hulu, of for a VOD service that PBS (or even WGBH) offers, but perhaps there are music clearance issues?

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Carmen Sandiego Question
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 05:26:37 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowlover87\' post=\'240645\' date=\'May 11 2010, 11:39 AM\']Sorry if this sounds ignorant, but can't they just put up a disclaimer at the beginning of the show, or during, that all information on the show is outdated by today's standards.[/quote]IIRC, they had a disclaimer at the end of the show, stating something to the effect of "All information was current as of tape date".
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Vahan_Nisanian

Carmen Sandiego Question
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 05:41:21 PM »
That disclaimer was added in the second season. During the first season, the Soviet Union still existed, so therefore, they didn't think of such disclaimer yet.

Because of that, I don't know if they ever showed the first season again, once the second season began.

Allstar87

Carmen Sandiego Question
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 05:44:09 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'240663\' date=\'May 11 2010, 05:26 PM\']IIRC, they had a disclaimer at the end of the show, stating something to the effect of "All information was current as of tape date".[/quote]

Correct; the disclaimer was in place from season 2 onwards. (I'm pretty sure the breakup of the Soviet Union during season 1 led to the disclaimer.)

They would even display the exact date the show was taped during the credits.

EDIT: gameshowlover87 is a much faster typist than I am.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 05:44:37 PM by Allstar87 »

MikeK

• Martha!
Carmen Sandiego Question
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 06:41:07 PM »
[quote name=\'Allstar87\' post=\'240667\' date=\'May 11 2010, 05:44 PM\']Correct; the disclaimer was in place from season 2 onwards. (I'm pretty sure the breakup of the Soviet Union during season 1 led to the disclaimer.)[/quote]
As well as other break-ups in the early 90s--Czechoslovakia splitting in two, the break-up of Yugoslavia, Michael Jackson and Lisa Marie Presley divorcing...

Matt Ottinger

Carmen Sandiego Question
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 09:04:11 PM »
Yeah, to say the show "can't" be shown in reruns gets a buzz from the Words Have Meanings judge.  If the tapes exist -- and I cannot believe they don't -- there might be some issues with regard to music clearances and such, but the fact that certain information isn't accurate anymore really isn't a dealbreaker.  You occasionally see dated information on GSN reruns, for example.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.