Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Star Frame Bowling Challenge  (Read 4597 times)

Tim L

Star Frame Bowling Challenge
« on: May 13, 2010, 03:00:03 PM »
To those in the Cleveland area (and those who receive Sportstime Ohio on Satellite)

A New show,called Star Frame Bowling Challenge,  of which 4 episodes have been completed, will be premiering soon on Sportstime Ohio-Paul Rado, formerly of WTAM Radio in Cleveland is producing this..Chuck Galeti formerly of WOIO-19 and now host of The Indians Post-Game Show on STO will host, and Former WTAM personality Marty Allen will be the announcer (Rado and Allen were associated with the Mike Trivisanno Show on WTAM for many years..)

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pag...ge/261138803742

Updates on the show..

STO just recently bought the show..No airdate for the first episode has been announced..

I think Rado is trying to harken back to the old local bowling shows on TV years ago..Might be fun to watch..Good luck to them..
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 03:01:03 PM by Tim L »

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 04:04:57 PM »
The pilot can be seen here:  http://paulradoent.com/main/

I wish Rado and "Big Daddy" Marty Allen the best of luck after how they got shafted by ClearChannel about 18 months ago.

cacLA8383

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 04:16:27 PM »
Hmm very interesting. I happen to catch STO down here in Louisiana with AT&T U-verse, so I may give this a looksee and check it out.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 02:25:26 PM »
A big ol' bump...

Star Frame Challenge never made it to SportsTime Ohio, as far as I can tell.  It started airing last weekend on broadcast TV, on WUAB at 4:30 PM on Saturday with a same-day repeat that night on WOIO at Midnight.  The web site for the show is www.starframeshow.com.

Next Saturday, they're taping at a bowling alley about half a mile from my house.  It doesn't sound like a bad way to kill a Saturday afternoon...

mmb5

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 10:41:20 PM »
It's got to be better than that sports trivia in the bar show on STO.
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 12:19:57 AM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'252357\' date=\'Dec 11 2010, 10:41 PM\']It's got to be better than that sports trivia in the bar show on STO.[/quote]
Not even close.  Before I get into my issues with the show, here's how the game is played...

9 bowlers participate.  Whenever 5 consecutive strikes are made, each of those 5 bowlers wins $100.  Each bowler plays three balls for the show.  In the first go-round, only true strikes count towards the five in a row.  In turn 2, at least 9 pins down counts as a strike, while 8+ pins on the third turn make a strike.  However, the fifth strike in a streak must have all 10 pins downed to count.  Occasionally, a colored pin appears as the headpin, in the 1 spot.  If the person rolls a 10-pin strike on that turn, he wins $100.  Any player who rolls 10-pin strikes on all three turns (in bowling, a turkey) wins a $50 gift certificate to a restaurant.  A final bowling "challenge", the 1-8-9 pins on today's show, is attempted by one bowler.  Taking down all the pins gets everybody on the team $50 each.

Today's show was among the batch of four recorded in the spring at Ptak's, in a suburb just outside of Cleveland.  The production standards are very low.  The graphics and video look like they're a step below public access quality.  The lighting is horrible, even by bowling alley standards.  During one crucial ball near the end of the show, the cameraman's view is fully blocked by someone's head.  One of the hosts missed a ball where someone won $100 until after the turn completed, though every other $100 possibility was caught before the play, including what seemed like a one-minute plug for whichever company sponsored that ball.  And this $100 frame with 1 min+ plug happened at least 4 times during the show.  The hosts, STO personality Chuck Galeti and former local radio sidekick Paul Rado...Galeti is tolerable but Rado is annoying and SCREAMS WAY TOO DAMN MUCH.  I don't mind the announcer, "Big Daddy" Marty Allen, though I'm sure his announcing style would remind a few people here of Burton Richardson.  Hopefully things change for the better when they tape eps. 5 to 8 next weekend down the street...  If I didn't delete it off the DVR, I'd share some clips.

I'm giving 69,000 bonus points for a good-looking female model showing off her midriff throughout the show.  Meow.  She doesn't come close to saving the show.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 12:29:59 AM by MikeK »

Don Howard

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 12:42:39 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'252361\' date=\'Dec 12 2010, 12:19 AM\']I'm giving 69,000 bonus points for a good-looking female model showing off her midriff throughout the show.  Meow.[/quote]Ah, yes. Jackie LaPonza as Ginger the Ball Girl. I'd take her over STO's Ashley Collins any day.
Best lookin' babe in tube socks since Connie Needham of Eight Is Enough.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 12:43:17 PM by Don Howard »

Fedya

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 03:12:54 PM »
For interesting looking in tube socks, try Bethanie Mattek.  At least it's before she decided to get herself tattooed.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

inturnaround

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 12:22:13 PM »
I miss "Let's Bowl". That was a fun(ny) show.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 01:28:20 PM »
I was at the taping of three Star Frame Bowling Challenge eps. yesterday afternoon.  From what I saw on the monitor, the quality of video looks a lot better thanks to better lighting, both on the part of the production staff and the venue.  The game changed very slightly--there is no bonus for any bowler getting a turkey.  The final "challenge" is always picking up the 1-8-9 and the person who bowls that ball is randomly chosen from all people who were short-changed one turn because they were one of the last bowlers on the team.  One much-improved change is that the "prize" pins are now a strong, solid color, unlike the pins on the first few shows with a logo on it.  There are also special guests on each episode.  The first had the person from the Browns who tells the refs when to take TV timeouts since one of the hosts apparently doesn't keep track of time well.  The second had Bob Hope, nephew of said entertainer, who does a lot of work for the USO.  The final guest was Dan Bobish, an MMA fighter from Cleveland.  These eps. will air in late January and early February.  And Don, Ginger the Ball Girl...damn, she so hot that she could've melted the snow off my car if she stood in front of it.

All-in-all, it wasn't a bad way to kill a late afternoon, after the Browns officially killed the entire Sunday.