Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Best Relationship/Dating Game Show  (Read 7854 times)

Jeremy Nelson

Best Relationship/Dating Game Show
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2010, 11:44:05 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'241044\' date=\'May 18 2010, 04:15 PM\'][quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'241042\' date=\'May 18 2010, 04:56 PM\']A thumbs up for Singled Out.  If you're going to be trashy and over-the-top, at least be honest and fun about it.[/quote]
Forgot all about that one. I think I'd put that as my favorite, mainly because it didn't take itself too seriously.
[/quote]
Forgot that one, too. Wasn't there an ugly Cupid on the gameboard that somewhat resembled Chucky?

Maybe it's just me, but I'd much rather see this show back than the dating shows that MTV has cranked out since (Room Raiders, Date My Mom, Next, etc.).

/Remote Control would be nice, too
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 11:44:42 PM by rollercoaster87 »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2010, 11:59:04 PM »
Tattletales.  These shows don't interest me as a rule, so give me some celebrity interplay or I'm bored silly.  

Runner-up:  The Love Experts.  Same reason.  Plus Bill.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

William_S.

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2010, 12:17:52 AM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'241079\' date=\'May 18 2010, 11:44 PM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'241044\' date=\'May 18 2010, 04:15 PM\'][quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'241042\' date=\'May 18 2010, 04:56 PM\']A thumbs up for Singled Out.  If you're going to be trashy and over-the-top, at least be honest and fun about it.[/quote]
Forgot all about that one. I think I'd put that as my favorite, mainly because it didn't take itself too seriously.
[/quote]
Forgot that one, too. Wasn't there an ugly Cupid on the gameboard that somewhat resembled Chucky?

Maybe it's just me, but I'd much rather see this show back than the dating shows that MTV has cranked out since (Room Raiders, Date My Mom, Next, etc.).

/Remote Control would be nice, too
[/quote]

Yup they had that ugly bastard who spoke on occasion on the board. Matter in fact they also had a live Cupid on there as well. SO was ok for it's time it after Beavis and Butthead and Oddities. (State as well) However Jenny Mac. was just grating on the nerves. (Carmen didn't help either.)

Now as for my best In my honest opinion, and will prolly sound dumb is Love Me, Love Me Not.
ok ok Maybe Not as a Relationship game. but as a pseudo Hollywood Squares like game. Provided it wasn't played to death ( I and I mean that the front game goes on forever that the daisy round is never played.)
But then again I'm partial to Studs!

Edited for annoyance.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 06:54:13 AM by William_S. »

J.R.

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2010, 12:31:05 AM »
[quote name=\'William_S.\' post=\'241081\' date=\'May 18 2010, 11:17 PM\']But then again I'm partial to Studs!

/ that's Freakin!![/quote]
Am I the only one whose grown weary of the obligatory "Freakin" anytime someone mentions Studs?

/That's Numberwang!
//Yoooooooo Wiiiiiiiiiiin!
///Slashies!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 03:18:17 AM by J.R. »
-Joe Raygor

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2010, 02:32:56 AM »
[quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'241083\' date=\'May 18 2010, 09:31 PM\']I'm I the only one whose grown weary of the obligatory "Freakin" anytime someone mentions Studs?[/quote]
Even I'm a little tired of it, and I'm the one who COINED it. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2010, 09:32:30 AM »
Heck, I'd even say I'm freakin' tired of it.

/Sorry, had to do it once

Ian Wallis

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2010, 11:35:30 AM »
I'm surprised that there aren't many mentions of The Dating Game.  I'd say the '78-80 version of this show was probably my favorite.  From my early teenage memories, most of the women on that show seemed hot, the questions were risque and the music was very catchy.

I was also a big fan of Tattletales, and enjoyed The Love Experts for the brief time we had it.  Unfortunately, the latter was cancelled in my area just before Christmas in 1978.  I guess the ratings on that show weren't great, but we didn't even get it for the full season.

I also liked Bzzzz!  I think it should have lasted a bit longer.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

TimK2003

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2010, 10:29:16 PM »
Relationship Shows for Singles:  Dating Game, with Love Connection a close 2nd.

Relationship Shows for Married Couples:  Newlywed Game (Anything Pre-Paul Rodriguez).

/Interesting that if we divided all relationship games into just those 2 categories, "Perfect Match" would be listed in both categories.

William_S.

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2010, 06:52:51 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'241086\' date=\'May 19 2010, 02:32 AM\'][quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'241083\' date=\'May 18 2010, 09:31 PM\']I'm I the only one whose grown weary of the obligatory "Freakin" anytime someone mentions Studs?[/quote]
[/quote]

Meh I guess I was "Following the F&&" on that one. really it just studs.I also don't see why it needs to be called freakin.

BrandonFG

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2010, 02:55:57 PM »
[quote name=\'William_S.\' post=\'241139\' date=\'May 20 2010, 06:52 AM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'241086\' date=\'May 19 2010, 02:32 AM\'][quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'241083\' date=\'May 18 2010, 09:31 PM\']I'm I the only one whose grown weary of the obligatory "Freakin" anytime someone mentions Studs?[/quote]
[/quote]

Meh I guess I was "Following the F&&" on that one. really it just studs.I also don't see why it needs to be called freakin.
[/quote]
It came from GSN deciding it was one of the Top 50 game shows of all time. Even though it was a very low entry (bottom five IIRC), the fact that it still ranked caused some (understandable) discontent.

I enjoyed the show as a child in all its sleaziness, but wouldn't put it on a Top 50 list of favorites. Guilty pleasures, maybe...
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2010, 10:47:48 AM »
Never was much for the Barris stalwarts. Newlywed always had pretty much the same formula: Bob reads a question that tries to be titillating but doesn't have the guts to actually pull it off. Then, the husband and/or wife gives a response that's a bald-faced single entendre and/or so far off the mark that it wasn't even funny, just painful ("What's your husband's favorite rodent?" "The saxophone." -- *shudder*). Sure, sometimes there were genuinely funny moments, but for the most part, both of those shows just make me cringe. Not to mention that Dating, at least to me, feels like it barely even needs a host.

Love Connection, on the other hand, was just too low-key for the most part. There just wasn't much of anything on it that made it all that interesting, save for Mr. Two and Two himself. That, and coming up with theories as to how John Cervenka found his way into the announcer's booth.

I saw all the votes for Bzzz! here and thought I'd check it out, since I had never really heard of it until well after the fact. This is just about the right balance for me: it's a little campy and silly (that totally radical, Bonkers-esque "bouncy" font looks more like something out of 1992 than 1997), but it just feels more natural and fun, not calculated and cheesy. Also, it has a more interesting and varied format than most.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 12:16:44 PM by Twentington »
Bobby Peacock

BrandonFG

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2010, 02:46:18 PM »
[quote name=\'Twentington\' post=\'241198\' date=\'May 21 2010, 10:47 AM\']Never was much for the Barris stalwarts. Newlywed always had pretty much the same formula: Bob reads a question that tries to be titillating but doesn't have the guts to actually pull it off.[/quote]
Well in all fairness, it was the 60s and 70s. Game shows couldn't be but so risque.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2010, 02:49:50 PM »
I may be alone in a boat here, but I actually liked the '97 variants of The Newlywed Game and The Dating Game better than their classic counterparts.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2010, 03:16:59 PM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'241214\' date=\'May 21 2010, 01:49 PM\']I may be alone in a boat here, but I actually liked the '97 variants of The Newlywed Game and The Dating Game better than their classic counterparts.[/quote]
The '97 variant of NEWLYWED was okay, but it helped having Eubanks still at the helm.  The format change for DATING was awful, and bringing back the classic format but having Woolery host wasn't that much better.

Didn't really love either show in any form, but I grew up with the classic versions, so I'd still probably take them over the more contemporary versions (including Carnie's).
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2010, 03:24:59 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'241213\' date=\'May 21 2010, 02:46 PM\'][quote name=\'Twentington\' post=\'241198\' date=\'May 21 2010, 10:47 AM\']Never was much for the Barris stalwarts. Newlywed always had pretty much the same formula: Bob reads a question that tries to be titillating but doesn't have the guts to actually pull it off.[/quote]
Well in all fairness, it was the 60s and 70s. Game shows couldn't be but so risque.
[/quote]

I'm well aware of that. I still think there's something about Newlywed questions that, even taking into mind 1970s standards, just doesn't sit well with me.
Bobby Peacock