Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPiR: Lameness  (Read 5569 times)

tvmitch

TPiR: Lameness
« on: June 07, 2010, 11:30:27 AM »
I'm all for experimenting with pricing games in different situations, and like TPiR right now in general, but holy craps.

Pick A Number for a car? And you have to guess the hundreds digit? What kind of pricing knowledge does this require the contestant to know? Some of the games on the show are designed to be pure luck, but Pick A Number?

I posit that it's the worst game in the rotation. Every other quick-fire time-saver game has less suckitude.
You should follow me on Twitter

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 02:23:55 PM »
[quote name=\'tvmitch\' post=\'242032\' date=\'Jun 7 2010, 10:30 AM\']I'm all for experimenting with pricing games in different situations, and like TPiR right now in general, but holy craps.

Pick A Number for a car? And you have to guess the hundreds digit? What kind of pricing knowledge does this require the contestant to know? Some of the games on the show are designed to be pure luck, but Pick A Number?

I posit that it's the worst game in the rotation. Every other quick-fire time-saver game has less suckitude.[/quote]
I'm happy I'm not the only what who went WTF after that.

Seriously, I'd rather have them play Double Prices for a car, if had to come down to it. I don't think anybody likes that game, or even thinks much of it.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 02:24:09 PM by rollercoaster87 »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

tyshaun1

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 03:39:22 PM »
Yet every other show I watch these days, they seem to trot that game out. Is it me, or do they seem to play a rotation of about 30 different games these days? I don't know if that is a product of Drew's comfort with these games, or just general laziness......

Tyshaun
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 03:40:06 PM by tyshaun1 »

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 05:20:25 PM »
I'm not sure which is more interesting: that it debuted on the 4000th episode, or that it took 4000 episodes before it was a pricing game.

[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' post=\'242044\' date=\'Jun 7 2010, 03:39 PM\']Yet every other show I watch these days, they seem to trot that game out. Is it me, or do they seem to play a rotation of about 30 different games these days? I don't know if that is a product of Drew's comfort with these games, or just general laziness......[/quote]
Probably both.
This signature is currently under construction.

JayDLewis

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 06:48:32 PM »
[quote name=\'tvmitch\' post=\'242032\' date=\'Jun 7 2010, 11:30 AM\']Pick A Number for a car? And you have to guess the hundreds digit? What kind of pricing knowledge does this require the contestant to know?[/quote]

Golden Road would like to have a word with you.

Also, why not? If you're going to give some guy a 33% chance of winning a car, why not make it challenging?
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything

tvmitch

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 07:17:33 PM »
[quote name=\'JayDLewis\' post=\'242055\' date=\'Jun 7 2010, 06:48 PM\'][quote name=\'tvmitch\' post=\'242032\' date=\'Jun 7 2010, 11:30 AM\']Pick A Number for a car? And you have to guess the hundreds digit? What kind of pricing knowledge does this require the contestant to know?[/quote]

Also, why not? If you're going to give some guy a 33% chance of winning a car, why not make it challenging?
[/quote]
True on the Golden Road point. But Pick a Number is not challenging, nor is Golden Road. Challenge != Luck.
You should follow me on Twitter

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 08:35:27 PM »
[quote name=\'JayDLewis\' post=\'242055\' date=\'Jun 7 2010, 05:48 PM\'][quote name=\'tvmitch\' post=\'242032\' date=\'Jun 7 2010, 11:30 AM\']Pick A Number for a car? And you have to guess the hundreds digit? What kind of pricing knowledge does this require the contestant to know?[/quote]

[/quote]
I guess it's a little more accepted in Golden Road because it's a $70K+ car/boat/motorhome.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

BrandonFG

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 09:05:17 PM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'242061\' date=\'Jun 7 2010, 08:35 PM\'][quote name=\'JayDLewis\' post=\'242055\' date=\'Jun 7 2010, 05:48 PM\'][quote name=\'tvmitch\' post=\'242032\' date=\'Jun 7 2010, 11:30 AM\']Pick A Number for a car? And you have to guess the hundreds digit? What kind of pricing knowledge does this require the contestant to know?[/quote]

[/quote]
I guess it's a little more accepted in Golden Road because it's a $70K+ car/boat/motorhome.
[/quote]
With Golden Road, you can at least utilize the strategy of remembering that numbers don't repeat. Pick A Number is pretty much all or nothing, on blind luck.

BTW Jeremy, OT, but I'm sure you can change your username and still keep your post count. Just e-mail the mods and tell them the name you'd like...
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 09:06:06 PM by fostergray82 »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 11:08:20 PM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'242042\' date=\'Jun 7 2010, 11:23 AM\']Seriously, I'd rather have them play Double Prices for a car, if had to come down to it. I don't think anybody likes that game, or even thinks much of it.[/quote]I actually don't mind it. I prefer it to games that dress up the decision like Freeze Frame, or Side-by-Side, or Coming/Going, and so on.

What I don't like is that it isn't really a game at all. You play one question, and that's all. I actually like what More or Less does: you get to play several chances of a binary game, plus one fling at the car. Instead of having Most Expensive for eleventy thousand worth of stuff, I'd prefer more setups like M-o-L.

[quote name=\'tvmitch\' post=\'242057\' date=\'Jun 7 2010, 04:17 PM\']True on the Golden Road point. But Pick a Number is not challenging, nor is Golden Road. Challenge != Luck.[/quote]You may cash in your Happy Fun Point at any open window. Go you, Mr. Groff. :)
If you didn’t create it, it isn’t your content.

jmangin

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 09:13:13 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'242065\' date=\'Jun 7 2010, 09:05 PM\']With Golden Road, you can at least utilize the strategy of remembering that numbers don't repeat.[/quote]
For Golden Road, numbers occasionally repeat in the price of the final prize, but I do agree with the main point that Pick-a-Number for a car was pretty lame. Even Squeeze Play would have been better.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 09:16:04 AM by jmangin »

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 09:48:17 AM »
[quote name=\'tvmitch\' post=\'242032\' date=\'Jun 7 2010, 10:30 AM\']Pick A Number for a car? And you have to guess the hundreds digit? What kind of pricing knowledge does this require the contestant to know? Some of the games on the show are designed to be pure luck, but Pick A Number?[/quote]

It's been worse.  This is the fourth time they've played Pick-A-Number for a five-digit car.  Of the three times it was done last season, the contestant had to guess the thousands digit once, the hundreds digit once, and the first time they played it, the poor contestant had to guess the tens digit of the car.

Unsurpisingly, none of these were won.

/And yes, I had to look it up.

Neumms

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 02:11:51 PM »
Isn't Pick-A-Number a non-electric replacement game if another breaks down? Not that that makes it better. While few of the pricing games involve real pricing acumen, this one goes ahead and shatters the illusion.

In a similar vein, doesn't it seem about time to refigure the Range Game? Maybe a $500 range so there's a little brain power, rather than just hitting the button around the E in RANGE GAME.

Mr. Brown

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 03:49:50 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'242099\' date=\'Jun 8 2010, 01:11 PM\']Isn't Pick-A-Number a non-electric replacement game if another breaks down?[/quote]
Yes, it can be used as a replacement game if an electric game goes haywire. Obviously, that isn't its exclusive purpose, as some people would like to believe.

(the same applies to Money Game, Double Prices, and 1 Right Price, obviously)
Cheers,
Mr. Brown, Esq.
‎"I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available because if you try it, you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body." -Charlie Sheen

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 04:17:54 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'242099\' date=\'Jun 8 2010, 01:11 PM\']Isn't Pick-A-Number a non-electric replacement game if another breaks down? Not that that makes it better. While few of the pricing games involve real pricing acumen, this one goes ahead and shatters the illusion.

In a similar vein, doesn't it seem about time to refigure the Range Game? Maybe a $500 range so there's a little brain power, rather than just hitting the button around the E in RANGE GAME.[/quote]
Y'know, I was wondering that, too. They probably keep it this way because it allows them to check a win/loss by the hash marks, rather than eyeballing it. But yeah, Range Game has been an exercise in guessing for at least 10 years now, if not longer.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 04:32:38 PM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87's signature\' post=\'242111\' date=\'Jun 8 2010, 03:17 PM\']-Jeremy Nelson
I've been here 5 years, and since I can't change my username and carry my posts over, rollercoaster87 stays.[/quote]

Have you talked to Matt or Chris about this?  I seem to recall them being able to change usernames without issue.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)