Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Millionaire Changes  (Read 59392 times)

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Millionaire Changes
« Reply #105 on: September 02, 2010, 04:55:02 PM »
I really liked it. I hope they can beef this up with more questions as the season progresses, but I won't hold my breath. I only wish the new home game editions could reflect it. I'll be showing this to the fairweather WWTBAM fans in my midst and see how they respond.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

chad1m

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #106 on: September 02, 2010, 04:57:56 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'246707\' date=\'Sep 2 2010, 04:55 PM\']I only wish the new home game editions could reflect it.[/quote]Yeah. Like I mentioned in an earlier thread, Ludia's PC game will only be accurate for a week; the Wii and DS games will already be outdated by the time they come out.

Hastin

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #107 on: September 02, 2010, 05:31:27 PM »
After playing the new game, I really like the new format. I think it's got just 2 weak things:

1. Two of the same Lifeline - I don't know why this bothers me, but it does. Maybe instead of a second "Skip the Question", they could have had "Show the Value" or something.

2. Music - I'm gonna miss that classic Millionaire music. This music is good, and contains the same feel, so it's not that big of a bummer.
-Hastin :)

BrandonFG

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #108 on: September 02, 2010, 05:45:19 PM »
[quote name=\'Hastin\' post=\'246713\' date=\'Sep 2 2010, 05:31 PM\']After playing the new game, I really like the new format. I think it's got just 2 weak things:

1. Two of the same Lifeline - I don't know why this bothers me, but it does. Maybe instead of a second "Skip the Question", they could have had "Show the Value" or something.[/quote]
That was odd to me too. Almost felt like something was missing. I like the "Jump", but would rather see one of the Jumps replaced with Ask the Expert/Phone-a-Friend.

Still not 100% sold on the random dollar values assigned to random difficulty, but I had a lot of fun playing the game. Actually seems like a pretty fresh change...
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

MitchJoseph2004

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #109 on: September 02, 2010, 06:01:20 PM »
That's a lot of fun! Adds some variety. The music is pretty good too. I'm ready for the new season! :)

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
Millionaire Changes
« Reply #110 on: September 02, 2010, 06:06:28 PM »
I am a huge fan of the new music--ESPECIALLY the new Explain The Rules cue.
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
Millionaire Changes
« Reply #111 on: September 02, 2010, 06:07:43 PM »
The double jumps definitely had me feeling the weird math, once I allowed myself to pretend what I was playing actually mattered.  Had my two jumps left and knew the $100,000 question.  Thought I knew the next one too, but didn't risk it since I knew I could use both my jumps and get a free look at the last question, and risk $75k of mine versus $900k of theirs (more like $500k given it's partially an annuity) on a blind guess.

I don't know if the new game will be better or worse, but it's all kinds of fun for utilitarian odds.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 06:11:26 PM by parliboy »
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

Hastin

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #112 on: September 02, 2010, 06:19:47 PM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'246717\' date=\'Sep 2 2010, 03:06 PM\']I am a huge fan of the new music--ESPECIALLY the new Explain The Rules cue.[/quote]

Yea, I like this cue. I'm also a fan of the correct answer cue, I like how there's a little more to the sting for each different dollar amount.
-Hastin :)

Kevin Prather

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #113 on: September 02, 2010, 06:27:12 PM »
I'm extremely optimistic for this new format now. I can't wait to see what happens on the 13th.

Bob Zager

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #114 on: September 02, 2010, 07:40:12 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'246707\' date=\'Sep 2 2010, 04:55 PM\']I really liked it. I hope they can beef this up with more questions as the season progresses, but I won't hold my breath. I only wish the new home game editions could reflect it.
-Jason[/quote]

Yeah, I like the new format, too!  It's much better than I thought it was going to be!

When you mention "home games," I really wish they would come out with a new box game--not just video, iPhone, PC and online games!

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
Millionaire Changes
« Reply #115 on: September 02, 2010, 08:06:34 PM »
Using the same lifelines and answering the same way each time on repeat questions, I won $29,300; $1,000; and $250,000 on my first three playings. That last number is nowhere near what I usually win when I play along from home, so it will be interesting to see if the contestants fare better this season.

I'm not sure where the claims of "more strategy" come from. Since the question values were all a big mystery, my strategy was simply "use a lifeline if you don't know." The only change in my playing strategy was that I realized I could save Ask the Audience for any point in the first tier, rather than usually using it first.

In one of my games, the easiest question in the stack wound up being worth $25,000, and I didn't feel the elation I think they expected me to. As a contestant, I was glad to have banked the big one, but as a viewer, it felt like it wasn't earned.

The other thing that kept throwing me (both as contestant and when I play along from home) is because the question difficulties are randomized, I never knew whether I was out-thinking myself on an answer. It was also jarring when an easy question followed one that I had to jump. I'm wondering what effect it would have on the gameplay if the questions were presented in order of difficulty, but the dollar amounts were still randomized. It just feels more natural to play questions in increasing order of difficulty.

gameshowcrazy

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #116 on: September 02, 2010, 08:52:22 PM »
[quote name=\'parliboy\' post=\'246718\' date=\'Sep 2 2010, 06:07 PM\']The double jumps definitely had me feeling the weird math, once I allowed myself to pretend what I was playing actually mattered.  Had my two jumps left and knew the $100,000 question.  Thought I knew the next one too, but didn't risk it since I knew I could use both my jumps and get a free look at the last question, and risk $75k of mine versus $900k of theirs (more like $500k given it's partially an annuity) on a blind guess.

I don't know if the new game will be better or worse, but it's all kinds of fun for utilitarian odds.[/quote]

I don't see how skipping those is a free pass and lower risk of your own money.

If you know the $250K or $500K, by skipping those, you automatically throw that money away when you don't know the answer to the $1m question, and that means you gave up more money than you were trying to save.  Yeah, the goal is to win the $1m, but if you're playing like the money matters, then you should answer each question you fully know the answer to.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Millionaire Changes
« Reply #117 on: September 02, 2010, 09:42:59 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowcrazy\' post=\'246730\' date=\'Sep 2 2010, 05:52 PM\']If you know the $250K or $500K, by skipping those, you automatically throw that money away when you don't know the answer to the $1m question, and that means you gave up more money than you were trying to save.[/quote]
I am going to guess that Gene is very aware that if you are actually playing for real money, and you know the answer to one of those questions cold, you don't skip it. All he's saying is that it's a lot more tempting to take a guess on the final question when you only stand to lose $75K from being wrong as opposed to $475K.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 09:47:01 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jeremy Nelson

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #118 on: September 02, 2010, 10:15:17 PM »
[quote name=\'Bob Zager\' post=\'246726\' date=\'Sep 2 2010, 06:40 PM\']When you mention "home games," I really wish they would come out with a new box game--not just video, iPhone, PC and online games![/quote]
I like the idea of a new box game....too bad they don't fit into a company's bottom line.

LOVE the new Explain the Rules Cue....the theme and right answer cue sound a little like "stereotypical million dollar game show", but they're better than most. I have to say though....I'm gonna miss the monk chant music/melody in the first tier.

Something new from the Tickets section of the website:
At the end of certain episodes, where time permits, an audience member may be selected to play one question on the air for the chance to win $1,000.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Millionaire Changes
« Reply #119 on: September 02, 2010, 10:22:04 PM »
[quote name=\'Jeremy Nelson\' post=\'246736\' date=\'Sep 2 2010, 07:15 PM\']....the theme and right answer cue sound a little like "stereotypical million dollar game show"[/quote]
Imagine that.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe