Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Marshall Hollywood Squares question  (Read 6670 times)

golden-road

Marshall Hollywood Squares question
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2010, 08:52:29 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'246371\' date=\'Aug 25 2010, 07:37 AM\']
Is there any explanation as to why GSN never showed Davidson's version? Did they try at one point to acquire it, but failed?

Isn't it tied up in some legal red tape as to who currently owns that version?
[/quote]

I heard both were owned by MGM, but with their potential collapse, who knows?

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2010, 11:00:32 AM »
[quote name=\'golden-road\' post=\'246373\' date=\'Aug 25 2010, 08:52 AM\']I heard both were owned by MGM, but with their potential collapse, who knows?[/quote]
Interesting point.  When MGM has their garage sale, and everybody is salivating over the Bond franchise, maybe we can swoop in and take control of Hollywood Squares!
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

vtown7

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2010, 11:37:14 AM »
I would like to therefore nominate Herr Ottinger to be treasurer for the GSF's attempt to gain control of H2.  :)

R.

/Do we get Peter Marshall in the deal too?
//hubba heeba hubba hub hubba heeba habba

Neumms

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2010, 03:24:26 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowlover87\' post=\'246358\' date=\'Aug 24 2010, 07:33 PM\']Is there any explanation as to why GSN never showed Davidson's version? Did they try at one point to acquire it, but failed?[/quote]

I like Jm J. as much as the next guy, but the explanation would be that, really, it wasn't that funny.  

Bergeron's was a good combination of the two. I think it worked that Whoopi brought more chatter between squares. The trouble was her answers weren't that funny, definitely not funny enough to overcome the polarizing effect she has on people.

Caroline Rhea and Gilbert Gottfried seemed to have fun chemistry, too, when they sit next to each other, but the producers kept moving them around. They should have put Caroline in Rose Marie's square and left her there.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2010, 04:04:26 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'246350\' date=\'Aug 24 2010, 01:59 PM\']I now wonder if that could be part of the reason the 80s Pyramid last so long on GSN, compared to the $20K version, considering the 80s version got more exposure on USA up until the mid-90s...[/quote]One of the things I notice is that the 80s version doesn't seem to age, compared to the other two versions.
Travis L. Eberle

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2010, 05:53:02 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'246390\' date=\'Aug 25 2010, 04:04 PM\']One of the things I notice is that the 80s version doesn't seem to age, compared to the other two versions.[/quote]
Blame it on all of Joan Rivers' plastic surgery.

Eric Paddon

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2010, 11:46:42 PM »
My excitement over HSQ on GSN tapered off after awhile when after exhausting stuff from the 68 NBC nighttime run (this was by far the most pleasant surprise, since none of us realized that those episodes still existed and we ended up with 15) and the first couple years of syndication, they fell in a rut of shows from 74-76 and that was when I got introduced to how painfully unfunny and annoying a game player Jonathan Winters was.     Winters would just ramble on and on and on and waste a lot of time without even attempting a bluff and bringing the pace of the game to a crashing halt, and then when they had to resort to the gimmick of asking every question to him where he'd assume one of his characters he got even more annoying.