Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Playing the Part of a host  (Read 5999 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Playing the Part of a host
« on: August 31, 2010, 06:47:55 AM »
Marc Summers once related a story where he said something to the effect of "he was standing on his bed, imitating Bill Cullen".

Do others have any similar memories--not of watching shows--but doing some gameshow activity when you were young?  I'll start...I distinctly remember using our mini blinds to "play" Classic Concentration.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

SamPrainito

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 09:08:22 AM »
Pretending to be Barker, I'd use a drinking straw and piece of string for a microphone and remind my audience to have their pets "spayed or noodled".

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 09:20:13 AM »
I used to play Dice Game with these back when I was a kid, among many, many other examples of similar geekiness.

DrBear

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 09:27:50 AM »
Actually, I wanted to be Johnny Carson - I'd go stand in front of the big garage doors at the power company's district facility next to my house and pretend I was Johnny standing in front of the curtain.

The only problem was that the feed mill across the street was a lousy audience.

(I know this seems sarcastic, but it's true)
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 09:40:04 AM »
I used to play The $25,000 Pyramid with my grandmother using playing cards.

I don't really remember how that worked anymore...when you're five years old, you can make sense of some pretty goofy ideas.

GMar

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 10:00:18 AM »
(Really showing my age here) When I was a kid, I was addicted to "Strike It Rich" (the original Warren Hull 50s version). My grandfather, who was a carpenter, built me a replica of the big FAB box with the giant heart scoreboard, complete with a telephone for the "Heartline".  I would get behind the living room curtains...introduce myself...then come out. I would even ask the quiz questions, but my dogs never did give the right answers.

brianhenke

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 11:38:43 AM »
[quote name=\'GMar\' post=\'246591\' date=\'Aug 31 2010, 10:00 AM\'](Really showing my age here) When I was a kid, I was addicted to "Strike It Rich" (the original Warren Hull 50s version). My grandfather, who was a carpenter, built me a replica of the big FAB box with the giant heart scoreboard, complete with a telephone for the "Heartline".  I would get behind the living room curtains...introduce myself...then come out. I would even ask the quiz questions, but my dogs never did give the right answers.[/quote]

I played a GS host in school (1978).

Brian
The leaves start to change color in May?

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 12:30:14 PM »
Of course; probably too many to mention. Remember those parts of the swing set where you sat facing a friend? I would rope kids into playing the Winner's Circle with me using these. The only category I can still remember trying to convey was "brands of beer."

I used to use my Legos to build the PYL contestant island, using our record player as the mechanism to turn it.

I also had a set of building blocks on a wagon whose shapes were perfect for recreating Classic Concentration's take cards and strike displays.

The large cement piece gas stations have to protect the pumps always used to remind me of the Power Surge railing on Get the Picture.

And of course, I had an array of toy microphones as a kid, to go with my thrift store-obtained wardrobe of kids' suits.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 12:52:09 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'246589\' date=\'Aug 31 2010, 06:40 AM\']I used to play The $25,000 Pyramid with my grandmother using playing cards.[/quote]
"The Jacksons... Duran Duran...Studio 54..."

"The Five of Clubs!"

"Ding!"
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chad1m

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 01:45:59 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'246594\' date=\'Aug 31 2010, 12:30 PM\']Of course; probably too many to mention...And of course, I had an array of toy microphones as a kid, to go with my thrift store-obtained wardrobe of kids' suits.[/quote]Pretty much. I've got video of my Facebook of hosting a game of Wheel of Fortune with my mother (using the front of the NES game box) before age three and hosting a trivia game before age four ("Okay, mom... What is your phone number?") that I keep getting distracted from because of the USA game shows.
My second grade teacher also let me prepare and present a Jeopardy game for the class every now and again with clues based on taught material as an exam preparation. Looking back, I'm really lucky and appreciative all of the adults in my life tolerated and, somehow, encouraged my obsessive crap. :P
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 02:14:48 PM by chad1m »

Neumms

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 02:10:25 PM »
I played "Truth or Consequences"-era Barker. I had a long souvenir pencil and would go up to family members and ask, "name please?" Or so I'm told. And I'd host some kind of game next to the tailgate of my dad's pickup with the embossed letters in "Chevrolet."

Thank you for letting me get these repressed memories out.

BrandonFG

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 03:47:32 PM »
The only one that immediately comes to mind is me playing the Davidson "Hollywood Squares" board game with my family, and somehow playing the car key game with a Matchbox car.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Winkfan

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 03:51:39 PM »
Showing MY age here: As a kid, I dressed up as Elaine Stewart for Halloween...two years in a row. (Of course, I had to wear an eye mask.....)

Cordially,
Tammy
In Loving Memory: Dolores "Roxanne" Rosedale (1929-2024) & Peter Marshall (1926-2024)

alfonzos

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 05:22:20 PM »
Oh yeah, I asked for at least one game show home game every Christmas just so I could play host. I would draw my own games out of cardboard for the ones I didn't have. Games that didn't need a host (such as Password) I would host anyway.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

gameboy2000

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2010, 05:53:37 PM »
I used to play game show host with some of my friends back in school.
gameboy2000.weebly.com