Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: HD Syndication  (Read 7785 times)

tvmitch

HD Syndication
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2010, 09:33:16 AM »
[quote name=\'Mr. Armadillo\' post=\'247717\' date=\'Sep 16 2010, 09:31 AM\']Not only is it all in HD, FOX's score bug is now 75% outside of the 4:3 viewing area.  All anyone not viewing the game in widescreen can see is the home team's score and timeouts (and maybe the seconds digit of the clock).[/quote]
This sounds like a problem with the way your local affiliate is broadcasting the game. All my local SD feeds of NFL games this past weekend were fine when I scrolled through...we get WTXF out of Philly only in SD, and they were airing the Giants game, and it looked fine too.
You should follow me on Twitter

Mr. Armadillo

HD Syndication
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2010, 09:36:16 AM »
Maybe they moved it back--I remember Mr. Buck mentioning the changes on one of their preseason broadcasts.  Oh well, certainly wouldn't be the first time he was wrong about something.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
HD Syndication
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2010, 01:44:45 PM »
[quote name=\'Mr. Armadillo\' post=\'247717\' date=\'Sep 16 2010, 06:31 AM\']Not only is it all in HD, FOX's score bug is now 75% outside of the 4:3 viewing area.  All anyone not viewing the game in widescreen can see is the home team's score and timeouts (and maybe the seconds digit of the clock).[/quote]
...which may be why FOX is letterboxing the SD signals.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Mr. Armadillo

HD Syndication
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2010, 02:09:40 PM »
Hmm...that would make more sense.  Learn something new every day.

tpirfan28

HD Syndication
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2010, 03:05:06 PM »
[quote name=\'Mr. Armadillo\' post=\'247719\' date=\'Sep 16 2010, 09:36 AM\']Maybe they moved it back--I remember Mr. Buck mentioning the changes on one of their preseason broadcasts.  Oh well, certainly wouldn't be the first time he was wrong about something.[/quote]
The preseason games had the bugs outside the 4:3 area, but last week's games moved it back.  The field itself is framed for 16:9, so some of the players might get cut off.  Baseball still has the bugs outside 4:3 safe.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

DjohnsonCB

HD Syndication
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2010, 03:12:35 PM »
Jeopardy! just started in HD here, WoF has been that way for some time, Oprah, Ellen and ET are in widescreen as well.  All four stations have their local news in widescreen, but it's been noted by some that widescreen doesn't always mean HD.  WOWT is the only true local news station that uses HD for now.

The night before Labor Day, I was in a motel room with a tube TV watching The Simpsons and there was a gag involving a bogus "Itchy & Scratchy" movie title flashed on the screen, but the sides were cut off and you couldn't read it.  I don't have that problem at home since all my TVs are rectangles now.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

Johnissoevil

HD Syndication
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2010, 04:52:02 PM »
The Erie market stations only air network programming in HD.  Wheel, J!, Feud, Millionaire, and Fifth Grader, along with several non-game show programs I watch, look fine in standard, so no beef here.
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

BrandonFG

HD Syndication
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2010, 06:12:51 PM »
[quote name=\'Mr. Armadillo\' post=\'247719\' date=\'Sep 16 2010, 09:36 AM\']Maybe they moved it back--I remember Mr. Buck mentioning the changes on one of their preseason broadcasts.  Oh well, certainly wouldn't be the first time he was wrong about something.[/quote]
I heard someone mention it on the first regular season game. I can't remember if it was the Dick Stockton or Joe Buck game, but they did show how it works.

However, it did NOT work on my job's SD TV.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Fedya

HD Syndication
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2010, 06:16:30 PM »
I don't have that problem at home since all my TVs are rectangles now.
Well, technically the old 4:3 TVs are rectangles too.  (Maybe slightly convex and, in the case of old TVs, with rounded corners, but rectangles nonetheless.)
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

Terry K

HD Syndication
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2010, 05:06:08 AM »
I, for one do not and will not watch programming that's not in HD.  If its not in HD, its not for me.  I've invested the money in the gear, I expect HD quality.  

SD programming is inferior for numerous reasons (like my local FOX affiliate still uses TAPE to run stuff...that's pretty dinosauric)

What you're seeing is 'center cutting' a practice I hate with a passion.  

Although about half of americans have HD sets now, that number IS growing, and the stations are being forced to migrate like it or not.  Stations are migrating as gear costs are dropping and the cost and availability of SD gear is changing.  (SD gear is getting harder to buy now days and getting far more costly)  

Frankly, if you have an HD set, why not just try to hook up an antenna to it and get HD for free?  Or if you haave cable box, bypass it and scan your TV to see WHAT you get at no add'l charge.  You'd be surprised.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
HD Syndication
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2010, 11:39:29 AM »
[quote name=\'Terry K\' post=\'247912\' date=\'Sep 20 2010, 05:06 AM\']I, for one do not and will not watch programming that's not in HD. If its not in HD, its not for me. I've invested the money in the gear, I expect HD quality.

SD programming is inferior for numerous reasons...

Although about half of americans have HD sets now, that number IS growing, and the stations are being forced to migrate like it or not. Stations are migrating as gear costs are dropping and the cost and availability of SD gear is changing. (SD gear is getting harder to buy now days and getting far more costly) .[/quote]
And if I have multiple SDTV's in my house and can't necessarily afford to plunk down the several hundred dollars to upgrade, do I have the right to take your declarations and shove it up your HD receiver?
This signature is currently under construction.

Offshored2007

HD Syndication
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2010, 12:00:42 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'247929\' date=\'Sep 20 2010, 11:39 AM\'][quote name=\'Terry K\' post=\'247912\' date=\'Sep 20 2010, 05:06 AM\']I, for one do not and will not watch programming that's not in HD. If its not in HD, its not for me. I've invested the money in the gear, I expect HD quality.

SD programming is inferior for numerous reasons...

Although about half of americans have HD sets now, that number IS growing, and the stations are being forced to migrate like it or not. Stations are migrating as gear costs are dropping and the cost and availability of SD gear is changing. (SD gear is getting harder to buy now days and getting far more costly) .[/quote]
And if I have multiple SDTV's in my house and can't necessarily afford to plunk down the several hundred dollars to upgrade, do I have the right to take your declarations and shove it up your HD receiver?
[/quote]

How long did it take for color TV to become previlent in this country?  I hear both sides of the argument here.

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
HD Syndication
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2010, 12:27:44 PM »
Fox's NFL coverage has it right, much like many primetime dramas realized as they made the transition.  They're shooting exclusively in HD now, and downgrading to a widescreen SD format for households needing it.  About two-thirds of households have at least one HDTV (source: Washington Business Journal), so directors should be given the freedom to stop worrying about 4x3 versus 16x9.

And I think that's really where the fight is right now -- SDTV owners who don't want to have some of their screen unused.  To that, all I can say is that you need to accept it and move on.  It's not going back the other way.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 12:31:30 PM by parliboy »
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
HD Syndication
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2010, 01:46:21 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'247929\' date=\'Sep 20 2010, 08:39 AM\']And if I have multiple SDTV's in my house and can't necessarily afford to plunk down the several hundred dollars to upgrade, do I have the right to take your declarations and shove it up your HD receiver?[/quote]
Funny, I was going to tell him I was intrigued by his ideas and wished to subscribe to his newsletter.

I completely fail to see anything Terry said that justifies you being offended in any way, shape, or form.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
HD Syndication
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2010, 02:25:03 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'247936\' date=\'Sep 20 2010, 01:46 PM\'][quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'247929\' date=\'Sep 20 2010, 08:39 AM\']And if I have multiple SDTV's in my house and can't necessarily afford to plunk down the several hundred dollars to upgrade, do I have the right to take your declarations and shove it up your HD receiver?[/quote]
Funny, I was going to tell him I was intrigued by his ideas and wished to subscribe to his newsletter.

I completely fail to see anything Terry said that justifies you being offended in any way, shape, or form.[/quote]
I agree that HD is better, and I don't mind Fox letterboxing (it's probably more efficient that way, too).  The problem is the insinuation that the difference between HD and SD is like the difference between a Corvette and a Yugo.  It's not, and unless you want to personally pay for my family to experience the mild wonder of HDTV (and get rid of their perfectly serviceable TV sets), you can quit accusing them of living in the Dark Ages.

/Only reason I have HD in my apt is because it was only $4/mo with Verizon
//And still cheaper than Comcast
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 02:27:52 PM by Joe Mello »
This signature is currently under construction.