Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game show games for the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch  (Read 4764 times)

MikeK

• Martha!
Game show games for the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch
« on: September 26, 2010, 08:12:39 PM »
Three weeks ago, I bought something I never thought I'd own--an iPod Touch.  I've been looking for apps to add since then.  Here's a list of what I know is out there, both official games/apps and homebrews:  Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy!, Millionaire 2010, 1 vs. 100, Cash Cab, Cash Cab: Las Vegas (previously called Crash Cab here), Catch 21, multiple versions of Deal or No Deal (Million Dollar Mission, Around the World, Vegas Gold), Tic Tac Dough, The Cube, Crystal Maze, Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader? (2009 and 2010 editions), Don't Forget the Lyrics, Family Feud, Press Your Luck, TPiR, Lngo (Lingo without the board, with customizable levels of difficulty and word lengths.  Hat tip to Chris Carrion.), and several Millionaire-types of games like QuizQuizQuiz and QRANK.

Did I miss anything?  Does anybody have recommendations?  Several titles I listed are decent and are under a dollar for now--Millionaire, Cash Cab, Crystal Maze.  Emphasis on "for now" since Cash Cab is usually a $4.99 title, and I've seen the price of WoF change a few times.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 09:09:29 PM »
Qrank kicks ass. The only thing that people don't like is that you can only play once a day, but that's the charm of the game. It's got a smattering of achievements to attain; one of them requiring you to play the game for 365 straight days. The best part? It's free!

Millionaire 2010 is great. It even comes with Fastest Finger questions.

The new editions of Wheel and Jeopardy offer online multiplayer, but I don't know how often people are on.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 09:13:50 PM »
I've been playing QRank on Facebook. I should pick up the iTouch app.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Neumms

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 11:30:39 PM »
Thanks for that list. I've had my iPhone for a couple of years and hadn't known about those. Any other good trivia or word games you guys like? A favorite of mine is Words with Friends, the copy of the crossword game I've played all my life.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 12:27:35 AM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'248355\' date=\'Sep 26 2010, 10:30 PM\']Thanks for that list. I've had my iPhone for a couple of years and hadn't known about those. Any other good trivia or word games you guys like? A favorite of mine is Words with Friends, the copy of the crossword game I've played all my life.[/quote]
....but never quite like this, right? Letter distribution and worth, along with the placement of bonus squares suggests it.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 12:42:08 AM »
[quote name=\'Jeremy Nelson\' post=\'248360\' date=\'Sep 26 2010, 09:27 PM\']Letter distribution and worth, along with the placement of bonus squares suggests it.[/quote]
That's how you keep from getting sued by Hasbro. The Scrabulous Wordscraper Lexulous folks can tell you a thing or two about that.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 09:27:02 AM »
If you're not against jailbreaking, you could install an NES emulator. That's how I play Classic Concentration and Hollywood Squares on the go.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 09:27:16 AM by DoorNumberFour »
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 10:45:29 AM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'248363\' date=\'Sep 27 2010, 08:27 AM\']If you're not against jailbreaking, you could install an NES emulator. That's how I play Classic Concentration and Hollywood Squares on the go.[/quote]

I'm definitely not against jailbreaking (and neither is the Library of Congress).  Playing 20 year old games that way is morally YMMV.

But I won't bust your NES iPhone emulator if you won't bust my candy cab.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

Neumms

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 11:48:33 AM »
[quote name=\'Jeremy Nelson\' post=\'248360\' date=\'Sep 26 2010, 11:27 PM\']....but never quite like this, right? Letter distribution and worth, along with the placement of bonus squares suggests it.[/quote]

I thought some things were fishy but don't play Scrabble enough to know for sure. I've found it much easier to come up with plays, so maybe the altered letter distribution is a good thing.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 04:14:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'248366\' date=\'Sep 27 2010, 11:48 AM\']I've found it much easier to come up with plays, so maybe the altered letter distribution is a good thing.[/quote]
Really? I've found it a lot harder to come up with decent words after the first few plays.

/At least one forum member can second that, I'm sure
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 06:37:27 PM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'248371\' date=\'Sep 27 2010, 03:14 PM\'][quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'248366\' date=\'Sep 27 2010, 11:48 AM\']I've found it much easier to come up with plays, so maybe the altered letter distribution is a good thing.[/quote]
Really? I've found it a lot harder to come up with decent words after the first few plays.

/At least one forum member can second that, I'm sure
[/quote]
Same here. Once the board begins to look like a crossword clusterf***, and you see what tiles you have in your hand, one can't help but wonder if their letter distribution is a little TOO off.

Words username: jeremynelson1987

Thunder

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2010, 12:54:11 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'248351\' date=\'Sep 26 2010, 09:13 PM\']I've been playing QRank on Facebook. I should pick up the iTouch app.[/quote]

Thanks for the tip. Just played my first game and won the "Mayor" award.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 03:52:06 PM »
[quote name=\'Thunder\' post=\'248389\' date=\'Sep 28 2010, 12:54 AM\']Thanks for the tip. Just played my first game and won the "Mayor" award.[/quote]
Lucky you.  I'm the only person in this darn city who plays QRANK.

Thunder

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2010, 10:46:19 PM »
Facebook doesn't recognize my city so I have to be in the Greensboro, NC "network" which is 40 miles south of here.

Yet we have a big problem getting our new TV station here put on the Greensboro cable systems... go figure.

rialtus

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 12:13:21 AM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'248423\' date=\'Sep 28 2010, 12:52 PM\']Lucky you.  I'm the only person in this darn city who plays QRANK.[/quote]Aye, but Facebook friends rankings are around.