Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Auditioning for Wheel  (Read 4088 times)

Vgmastr

Auditioning for Wheel
« on: October 08, 2010, 09:32:52 PM »
The Wheelmobile made a trip to my neck of the woods two weeks ago.  I went and was lucky enough to get called up on stage.  I managed to solve the puzzle and apparently showed enough personality to get an invite to the final round of auditions at the end of this month.  For anyone who has been through this process, any tips for the audition?  I know to be energetic, clap and cheer for everyone, always smile, be a good game player and don't hem and haw.  Is there any specific thing the contestant coordinators look for, or anything I should know going into it?

kidsplash

Auditioning for Wheel
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 10:27:33 PM »
I'm assuming you got all the tips you needed from Scott Hostetler's book, right? The Wheelmobile is coming to my near-hometown of St. Louis on October 16th and 17th and I'm praying every night that my dad will say "yes" that he'll take me there. All I can say is, good luck!

catkins522

Auditioning for Wheel
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 09:40:40 AM »
[quote name=\'Vgmastr\' post=\'248915\' date=\'Oct 8 2010, 09:32 PM\']The Wheelmobile made a trip to my neck of the woods two weeks ago.  I went and was lucky enough to get called up on stage.  I managed to solve the puzzle and apparently showed enough personality to get an invite to the final round of auditions at the end of this month.  For anyone who has been through this process, any tips for the audition?  I know to be energetic, clap and cheer for everyone, always smile, be a good game player and don't hem and haw.  Is there any specific thing the contestant coordinators look for, or anything I should know going into it?[/quote]

Well, I went to the Wheelmobile in 2000.  I was not called that day, but got an intive for the final round of auditions.  I did not go, but around 250-500 people went.  Basically, you have to solve 25-50 puzzles to solve via pencil.  After they talled to results, 10-20 people passed and will see the one of the producers.  After that, 1-4 people MAY get picked to go to Hollywood...and do say MAY.  It's a long shot, but if you have hutpaz, aced the test and wowwed the producer will go to Hollywood.  Good luck.

Charles Atkins
-----------

Bigger and better....in HD!!!!

Steve McClellan

Auditioning for Wheel
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 10:08:30 AM »
[quote name=\'Vgmastr\' post=\'248915\' date=\'Oct 8 2010, 06:32 PM\']The Wheelmobile made a trip to my neck of the woods two weeks ago.  I went and was lucky enough to get called up on stage.  I managed to solve the puzzle and apparently showed enough personality to get an invite to the final round of auditions at the end of this month.  For anyone who has been through this process, any tips for the audition?  I know to be energetic, clap and cheer for everyone, always smile, be a good game player and don't hem and haw.  Is there any specific thing the contestant coordinators look for, or anything I should know going into it?[/quote]
You've already listed all the biggies. If I recall properly from my audition, the only non-gameplay-related talking we had to do was introduce ourselves when we were called up to play the full mock game. I'd recommend having a 10- to 15-second response ready for the vague statement, "Tell us about yourself."

Here's what to expect: First, they play some speed-up rounds. They'll pick people in an arbitrary order. You stand up, call a letter, solve the puzzle if you can, then sit back down. They'll do this 'til everyone's had two or three turns. Then there's a written test. You have five minutes to complete sixteen partially-filled-in puzzles of varying difficulty.

Then there's a break while they go grade the tests. When they come back, they'll call the names of the people they'd like to have stick around for the second part (in my case, it was 13 of the 48 women and 11 of the 12 men present). They'll call you to the front of the room three or four at a time, and you'll introduce yourself, then simulate playing the main game (including spinning a giant imaginary wheel in front of you). Once they've seen enough to make a decision either way, they'll tell you to return to your seat.

That's all there is to it. If they want you for the show, they'll mail you a letter a couple of weeks later. Good luck!

Kniwt

Auditioning for Wheel
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 10:21:59 AM »
And when the contestant coordinators ask what you do, never, ever, ever say anything about Rolfing.

beatlefreak84

Auditioning for Wheel
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 10:43:34 AM »
Steve pretty much covered all of the little nuances, but I'll elaborate on a couple of the big points:

1.  Don't get discouraged if you don't finish the exam or don't feel like you "got enough right" to stick around.  Unlike the Jeopardy exam, they take both the first part of your audition and your exam score into consideration to see who sticks around for the second part.  That being said, it can go the other way:  you can get a perfect score, but if you don't have much personality, you don't stick around...;)

2.  Of those that didn't make it to the second half of the audition, I think the biggest mistake they all made was that they couldn't (or wouldn't) keep the enthusiasm up when others were playing.  So, keep clapping, keep cheering, keep smiling for all of those other 60-70 people!  :)

Good luck!  :)

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

Timsterino

Auditioning for Wheel
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 01:07:20 PM »
The guys above this post summarized it nicely. I also found that it was important to be genuinely happy for and root on the other auditioners. I hope you get on, Wheel was an experience that I will never forget (and I did not win a lot of money).

Vgmastr

Auditioning for Wheel
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 01:35:55 PM »
Thanks for the advice everyone!  I'll definitely make sure to keep the energy up and cheer for everyone.  I've watched game shows all my life, but this is my first time ever auditioning for one, and Wheel is the one I've always dreamed of being on, so I'm both nervous and excited.  There was just something about the big spinning wheel and the giant puzzleboard that drew me to it as a kid.  I actually learned to read watching Wheel, which is something I wrote on my Wheelmobile application and mentioned in my stage interview, not sure if that helped or not, but I never thought I'd make it this far in the audition process.  Whether I get on the show or not, I just want to make sure I do all I can to help my chances and not have any regrets.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
Auditioning for Wheel
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 07:01:47 PM »
[quote name=\'Vgmastr\' post=\'248930\' date=\'Oct 9 2010, 01:35 PM\']I actually learned to read watching Wheel, which is something I wrote on my Wheelmobile application and mentioned in my stage interview, not sure if that helped or not, but I never thought I'd make it this far in the audition process.[/quote]
Wait. Wheel looks for people who can read?
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

GiraffeBoy

• "He can solve puzzles, that's for sure."-Pat Sajak
Auditioning for Wheel
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 02:25:17 PM »
My advice, having tried out recently, along with the above advice which I'd say is on the money -- be yourself and be natural. I believe TPTB have a way of knowing who's really excited and who's, well, playing it.

--Charlie

/still waiting for my letter
//it's been 2 months
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 02:27:09 PM by GiraffeBoy »
"B, 2 hours, 52 minutes, 59 seconds...final answer?"
WWTBAM Play It! DCA Million Point Winner #42 - Stick your neck out with pride!

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
Auditioning for Wheel
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 03:44:48 PM »
You definitely should be positive and to be yourself. That exam was tough, but I blazed through all but 2 in the short time.

Overall, if you take a chance, and if you are confident in your skills, then you should be alright.

/Class of 2005
//Episode will be posted on youtube soon.

RyanCDN

Auditioning for Wheel
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2010, 05:01:28 PM »
This is a little off topic, but somewhat related.  Is there anywhere that they post when and where they will be for auditions?

I've looked, but I am coming up with blanks.

-Ryan

[quote name=\'Strikerz04\' post=\'248969\' date=\'Oct 10 2010, 02:44 PM\']You definitely should be positive and to be yourself. That exam was tough, but I blazed through all but 2 in the short time.

Overall, if you take a chance, and if you are confident in your skills, then you should be alright.

/Class of 2005
//Episode will be posted on youtube soon.[/quote]
Ryan
“I’ll give away a Zed.”

chad1m

Auditioning for Wheel
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2010, 05:32:16 PM »
This thread on their official discussion boards is updated with audition information.