Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Michael G. Richards just doesn't get it...  (Read 9643 times)

cmjb13

Michael G. Richards just doesn't get it...
« on: November 10, 2010, 04:11:34 PM »
Here's a note from blog on the LMAD section of CBS.com

[quote name=\'Michael G. Richards\']Hi Guys! I am really excited about Season Two of Let's Make a Deal! This season is full of great deals, tons of cash, and more comedy than ever! The great thing about Let's Make a Deal is that it is part game show, part variety show, and part improv sketch show.

Expect impromptu raps and musical numbers that only Wayne can come up with, deals with lots of twists and turns, and full blown improv sketches that divulge clues about the prizes!

I honestly believe that we are one of the funniest shows on daytime![/quote]
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 04:14:25 PM »
Perhaps he meant to say "funnest" and typoed.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Mr. Brown

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 06:09:29 PM »
...he totally doesn't "get it" and that just solidifies it.

LMaD's primary concept isn't supposed to be "funny," it's supposed to be fun. See what I did there?

/Hey Fremantle, I've been unemployed for a year. Fire Mikey and hire me. Our résumés are about the same (i.e. nothing) but at least I have some common sense.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 06:16:12 PM by Mr. Brown »
Cheers,
Mr. Brown, Esq.
‎"I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available because if you try it, you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body." -Charlie Sheen

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 06:56:17 PM »
[quote name=\'Mr. Brown\' post=\'250612\' date=\'Nov 10 2010, 06:09 PM\']...he totally doesn't "get it" and that just solidifies it.

LMaD's primary concept isn't supposed to be "funny," it's supposed to be fun. See what I did there?

/Hey Fremantle, I've been unemployed for a year. Fire Mikey and hire me. Our résumés are about the same (i.e. nothing) but at least I have some common sense.[/quote]
First TPiR, now LMaD. Completely doesn't get it. Let the show be spontaneous on its own and stop forcing moments to happen, i.e. contestants running down to check out every prize they win.

/Fremantle, hire me
//I have five years of TV production experience, and unlike the people you employ, I've actually WATCHED prior editions of the shows you make now
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

TimK2003

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 07:53:22 PM »
[quote name=\'Mr. Brown\' post=\'250612\' date=\'Nov 10 2010, 04:09 PM\']...he totally doesn't "get it" and that just solidifies it.

LMaD's primary concept isn't supposed to be "funny," it's supposed to be fun. See what I did there?[/quote]

I just hope Michael Richards did not/doesn't take watching the episodes of the Mark DeCarlo & Billy Bush versions that seriously.  He already strayed from the "pricing games", and he already went to "forced" almost-unbelievable moments like the Billy Bush and the Stone-Stanley versions did.

Neumms

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 08:30:33 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'250607\' date=\'Nov 10 2010, 04:14 PM\']Perhaps he meant to say "funnest" and typoed.[/quote]

Or "funkiest," depending on Wayne's musical numbers.

LA the DJ

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 09:21:24 PM »
I agree with these sentiments, but there's not much left to be said about this that hasn't been said already.

However, an interesting question has come to me in reading this:
He certainly seems to have enthusiasm and a clear vision, so do any of you think that Mike Richards would do well with an actual comedy game show format, such as HS, MG, any Barris Show, or maybe even something loose like Whose Line?
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

JMFabiano

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 09:50:24 PM »
Someone revive "Letters to Laugh-In" so he has a place to work off his, um, tensions concerning variety shows.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 10:31:51 PM »
My oh my, ol' Monty sure was a cut-up with his high-larious highjinks on the old version of LMAD. And speaking of variety, I remember back in '75 when ABC had that variety show hosted by Howard Cosell. One time they had Howard come on LMAD to introduce the musical act for the day -- get ready for it -- the Rolling Stones! Talk about variety!

do any of you think that Mike Richards would do well with an actual comedy game show format, such as HS, MG, any Barris Show, or maybe even something loose like Whose Line?
The answer to this question is a stark "no" when you consider that Mikeala, whose game-show experience is pretty thin to begin with, has even fewer comedy creds (i.e. none).

From what I hear the behind-the-scenes operations at LMAD are a real laff riot.

Mr. Brown

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 10:36:34 PM »
Does referring to him as "Mikeala" or "Mikey" change his lack of experience in anything? No.

/I'd call him "Bozo," but that'd be an insult to a legend.
//Yup, I'm sure I can forget about being a contestant on Price.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 11:06:08 PM by chris319 »
Cheers,
Mr. Brown, Esq.
‎"I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available because if you try it, you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body." -Charlie Sheen

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2010, 10:51:48 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'250622\' date=\'Nov 10 2010, 04:53 PM\']He already strayed from the "pricing games", and he already went to "forced" almost-unbelievable moments like the Billy Bush and the Stone-Stanley versions did.[/quote]Hrm? The what now?

(To the games, I see that they're doing a variant on rock-paper-scissors with some regularity, and a game where if you total 21 in five rolls of a d6 (roughly 1/4), and the problem is that you can have all of the trappings of The Widget or the Frenulator, but Wayne just doesn't have that voice that commands the situation, and doesn't make me care about picking thing A or B.

You can bring back pricing games, you can have people doing a physical game to win money that can purchase a curtain, you can ask people trivia questions, or have them fill in song lyrics or do improv. It doesn't make Wayne a better host for the vehicle.
Travis L. Eberle

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2010, 11:10:37 PM »
//Yup, I'm sure I can forget about being a contestant on Price.
Jerry Springer might have a place for you ;-)

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2010, 11:16:42 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'250640\' date=\'Nov 10 2010, 10:51 PM\']It doesn't make Wayne a better host for the vehicle.[/quote]I think this is the more important issue for critics than whether Mr. Richards "gets it."  My take on the original statement is the director is trying to play to the host's strengths in order to make the show good.  How is that a dumb or bad idea?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 11:17:02 PM by Joe Mello »
This signature is currently under construction.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2010, 11:19:32 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'250647\' date=\'Nov 10 2010, 08:16 PM\'][quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'250640\' date=\'Nov 10 2010, 10:51 PM\']It doesn't make Wayne a better host for the vehicle.[/quote]I think this is the more important issue for critics than whether Mr. Richards "gets it."  My take on the original statement is the director is trying to play to the host's strengths in order to make the show good.  How is that a dumb or bad idea?[/quote]Because the show is no longer Let's Make a Deal or The Price is Right, but the Drew Carey Comedy Showcase or the Wayne Brady Improv Hour, but with prizes interspersed.
Travis L. Eberle

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2010, 11:42:52 PM »
Because the show is no longer Let's Make a Deal or The Price is Right, but the Drew Carey Comedy Showcase or the Wayne Brady Improv Hour, but with prizes interspersed.
Please report for work at 10 am tomorrow at 7800 Beverly Boulevard, Los Angeles. Just pry the existing name plate from the office door.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 11:47:06 PM by chris319 »