Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: high rollers 1970s version question  (Read 2350 times)

bradhig

high rollers 1970s version question
« on: November 11, 2010, 07:38:16 PM »
I have seen photos of Alex Trebek standing by the dice table with big light up numbers behind him like the ones used on the 1987 version.   When did the 1970s version have big numbers and what did they look like compare to the later version?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 07:44:05 PM »
[quote name=\'bradhig\' post=\'250727\' date=\'Nov 11 2010, 04:38 PM\']I have seen photos of Alex Trebek standing by the dice table with big light up numbers behind him like the ones used on the 1987 version.   When did the 1970s version have big numbers and what did they look like compare to the later version?[/quote]
Most of the original version of the show from 1974 to 1976 didn't have any of that "column" stuff going on, you simply knocked out numbers and turned over prizes (or half-prizes, in the case of the car) that were yours if you won the game. (This was on a slightly smaller board than the Big Numbers, with the numbers still arranged in two rows.)

The Big Numbers was played against the board you see in the picture, hence the name.

The version we tend to see clips from ran from 1978 to 1980.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Robair

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 08:36:51 PM »
And it was another H-Q show that tried to tinker with its format, ditching the prizes-under-numbers format about halfway through its network run and adopting a guess-the-celebrity game (think the "Battlestars" endgame in its first edition). Oddly, it survived, unlike every other H-Q game that attempted to reinvent itself.
--Robair

Ian Wallis

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 04:48:49 PM »
I watched High Rollers whenever I could back then (school got in the way most of the time!) and I have absoluately no recollection of the format change at all.  I remember very well the "half a car" underneath a number, and sometimes both contestants got "half a car" so neither won it; but does anyone know for sure how long that other format lasted?  Was it for up to half the run, or just the last few weeks in order to try to salvage the ratings with a format change?

I usually have very good memory for details like this...but this one escapes me.   Maybe I saw it and mentally blocked it out?  :)
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 04:56:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'250830\' date=\'Nov 12 2010, 01:48 PM\']but does anyone know for sure how long that other format lasted?  Was it for up to half the run, or just the last few weeks in order to try to salvage the ratings with a format change?[/quote]
Wiki claims it was for the last seven weeks. Season appropriately.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 09:19:02 PM »
"Face Lifters" was the subtitle of the show for the last few weeks.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 09:20:20 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

bradhig

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 11:09:41 PM »
On the game show wiki the title screen shows the numbers off to the left that are lifted to reveal prizes and the big numbers to the right with 6,7,8,9 on top in an arch like layout that is what I was looking for too bad they did use it in the later versions in 1978.