Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: In the red during Jeopardy tournament finals  (Read 2015 times)

Otm Shank

In the red during Jeopardy tournament finals
« on: November 19, 2010, 01:06:24 AM »
There was no mention of this during today's Jeopardy (obviously to avoid further shame on the contestant), but was that the first instance of a tournament final with a player in the negative entering Final Jeopardy? I was completely unaware of the Trebek Bailout (negative score is zeroed out) in this case. Definitely odd to happen in a tournament final setting, as well, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is a first (or if anyone here knew of the rules of such a situation).

I'm sure there are other non-SNL examples that others may recall, but a $6,000 deficit is not one that I can recall seeing before.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 01:30:29 AM »
[quote name=\'Otm Shank\' post=\'251218\' date=\'Nov 18 2010, 10:06 PM\']There was no mention of this during today's Jeopardy (obviously to avoid further shame on the contestant), but was that the first instance of a tournament final with a player in the negative entering Final Jeopardy? I was completely unaware of the Trebek Bailout (negative score is zeroed out) in this case. Definitely odd to happen in a tournament final setting, as well, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is a first (or if anyone here knew of the rules of such a situation).

I'm sure there are other non-SNL examples that others may recall, but a $6,000 deficit is not one that I can recall seeing before.[/quote]
It's happened at least once before, in the 2004 Teen Tournament.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 01:34:27 AM »
[quote name=\'Otm Shank\' post=\'251218\' date=\'Nov 18 2010, 10:06 PM\']Definitely odd to happen in a tournament final setting, as well, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is a first (or if anyone here knew of the rules of such a situation).[/quote] I think it happened during a Seniors Tournament as well.

I'm sure there are other non-SNL examples that others may recall, but a $6,000 deficit is not one that I can recall seeing before.
Inside Jeopardy tells the tale of a contestant from very early on who finished $4,300 in arrears.
If you didn’t create it, it isn’t your content.

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 09:44:01 AM »
One of Ken Jennings's victims finished $4,800 in the hole, which I believe was the former record.

EDIT:  Appears the current record is -$6,200, according to the J! forums.  The more you know, and all that jazz.

/or is that 'The less you know'?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 09:48:44 AM by Mr. Armadillo »

Jay Temple

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 10:06:10 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'251223\' date=\'Nov 19 2010, 12:34 AM\'][quote name=\'Otm Shank\' post=\'251218\' date=\'Nov 18 2010, 10:06 PM\']Definitely odd to happen in a tournament final setting, as well, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is a first (or if anyone here knew of the rules of such a situation).[/quote] I think it happened during a Seniors Tournament as well.[/quote]
That was the first time it happened.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

bandit_bobby

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 11:39:37 PM »
I believe that -$6K's the WORST one-game score for a tournament game in J! history.