Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ken Vs. Brad Vs. Computer  (Read 6737 times)

davemackey

Ken Vs. Brad Vs. Computer
« on: December 14, 2010, 08:15:50 AM »
Here is the news item about a special three day event that will pit Brad Rutter, Ken Jennings, and a computer in two Jeopardy! games. (Thanks to Don Tandler, The Record Handler for the tip.)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 08:16:30 AM by davemackey »

inturnaround

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 11:29:42 AM »
The part of Watson's avatar should be played by Malcolm. I bet Alex misses him.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 12:15:14 PM »
Wait...so two games over three days? It's going to be weird seeing a Jeopardy! game straddle. Well, we get another round of Brad V. Ken, so I can't complain.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 01:34:02 PM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' post=\'252496\' date=\'Dec 14 2010, 08:29 AM\']The part of Watson's avatar should be played by Malcolm. I bet Alex misses him.[/quote]
Screw that. I vote for Geoff Petersen.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tpirfan28

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 02:15:49 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'252502\' date=\'Dec 14 2010, 01:34 PM\'][quote name=\'inturnaround\' post=\'252496\' date=\'Dec 14 2010, 08:29 AM\']The part of Watson's avatar should be played by Malcolm. I bet Alex misses him.[/quote]
[/quote]
I'd rather see Geoff play Watson.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Esoteric Eric

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 09:17:25 AM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'252506\' date=\'Dec 14 2010, 11:15 AM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'252502\' date=\'Dec 14 2010, 01:34 PM\'][quote name=\'inturnaround\' post=\'252496\' date=\'Dec 14 2010, 08:29 AM\']The part of Watson's avatar should be played by Malcolm. I bet Alex misses him.[/quote]
[/quote]I'd rather see Geoff play Watson.[/quote]They were going to use Geoff, but every third response of his was "What is... IN YOUR PANTS!!!"
Eric Smallman; "...I don't think God ever forgave me for Phyllis Newman..." - "Jimmy Carter" (Dan Aykroyd), SNL, 1976

GiraffeBoy

• "He can solve puzzles, that's for sure."-Pat Sajak
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 11:45:37 PM »
But how would Watson do against Sean Connery?

--Charlie

/"I'll take ApeTit Dejeuner for 200"
"B, 2 hours, 52 minutes, 59 seconds...final answer?"
WWTBAM Play It! DCA Million Point Winner #42 - Stick your neck out with pride!

dale_grass

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 08:25:21 AM »
[quote name=\'GiraffeBoy\' post=\'252598\' date=\'Dec 15 2010, 11:45 PM\']But how would Watson do against Sean Connery?

--Charlie

/"I'll take ApeTit Dejeuner for 200"[/quote]
Please.  That was was Burt "Turd Ferguson" Reynolds who picked Ape Tit.

\"Well that's the sound your mother made last night."

Bryce L.

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 08:49:19 AM »
All joking aside, guys, the one thing I am scratching my head about concerning Watson is how to ensure that he doesn't ring in 100% instantaneously when Alex turns the signaling devices on. I mean, if Watson is programmed a certain way, he could completely shut out Ken and Brad, simply by never allowing either of them to ring in. I wonder if IBM has taken that into consideration with regards to Watson's schematics...?

Unrealtor

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 02:00:47 PM »
[quote name=\'Bryce L.\' post=\'252614\' date=\'Dec 16 2010, 07:49 AM\']All joking aside, guys, the one thing I am scratching my head about concerning Watson is how to ensure that he doesn't ring in 100% instantaneously when Alex turns the signaling devices on. I mean, if Watson is programmed a certain way, he could completely shut out Ken and Brad, simply by never allowing either of them to ring in. I wonder if IBM has taken that into consideration with regards to Watson's schematics...?[/quote]

My impression from the video somewhere (possibly the New York Times site) that showed a part of one of the test games was that Watson was taking a few seconds to find an answer, long enough for humans to have the clue read aloud and then buzz in.

From what I know of artificial intelligence - a couple college classes on my way to a degree in computer science - converting language to knowledge and back is much more inefficient for a computer than it is for the human brain, because even the best computers are more or less sequential. It's a holy grail of the field, and one that seems to be very hard to get right.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

weaklink75

« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 09:34:29 AM by weaklink75 »

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2010, 11:59:13 AM »
No, the page says the book is coming out in January. The spoiler-y final chapter, on the other hand, won't be out until after the whole thing ends.

And technically, Watson is being taught to question every answer because that's how Jeopardy! works...but to be fair, every article I've read about Watson has made that error.

EDIT: Confused "book" and "ebook" for a second there. Thanks to Matt below for pointing this out.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 11:48:01 AM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2010, 11:42:21 AM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'253158\' date=\'Dec 23 2010, 11:59 AM\']No, the page says the book is coming out in January. The spoiler-y final chapter, on the other hand, won't be out until after the whole thing ends.[/quote]
The page clearly says that the book will be available in February.  The eBook, on the other hand, is coming out in advance of the match, and you'll be able to download the final chapter after it's written.  So far, 'book' and 'ebook' mean two different things.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 12:21:03 PM »
Engadget has the scoop from the practice match HERE. Because it's a live blog, remember to start from the bottom and work your way up. A few quick thoughts:

The whole liveblog is mostly responses from the panel Q and A, but it's pretty entertaining. Engadget says they'll have video posted laster today.

That's a pretty nifty set they've got there, even if it's only being used for the one-time event- it's like a mesh between the current set and the 90s "laser blue" set.

The games are being played at the IBM headquarters, not the Culver City studios- probably makes for an easier "disposal" of Ken and/or Brad, should either of them finish ahead of Watson. Cyberdyne much?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 12:25:06 PM by Jeremy Nelson »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

weaklink75

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2011, 12:41:54 PM »
[quote name=\'Bryce L.\' post=\'252614\' date=\'Dec 16 2010, 08:49 AM\']All joking aside, guys, the one thing I am scratching my head about concerning Watson is how to ensure that he doesn't ring in 100% instantaneously when Alex turns the signaling devices on. I mean, if Watson is programmed a certain way, he could completely shut out Ken and Brad, simply by never allowing either of them to ring in. I wonder if IBM has taken that into consideration with regards to Watson's schematics...?[/quote]

They took note of that in this AP article- they added a function where Watson has to physically press a buzzer to ring in...

[quote name=\'Jeremy Nelson\' post=\'254595\' date=\'Jan 13 2011, 12:21 PM\']Engadget has the scoop from the practice match HERE. Because it's a live blog, remember to start from the bottom and work your way up. A few quick thoughts:

The whole liveblog is mostly responses from the panel Q and A, but it's pretty entertaining. Engadget says they'll have video posted laster today.

That's a pretty nifty set they've got there, even if it's only being used for the one-time event- it's like a mesh between the current set and the 90s "laser blue" set.

The games are being played at the IBM headquarters, not the Culver City studios- probably makes for an easier "disposal" of Ken and/or Brad, should either of them finish ahead of Watson. Cyberdyne much?[/quote]

I think it's because the computer banks that run Watson are so large (the article above said it's the size of 10 refrigerators) that it would be impractical to move them to CA for the event.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 12:43:45 PM by weaklink75 »