Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Gong show favorite bits besides Gene Gene and Unknown Comic  (Read 4402 times)

opimus

Gong show favorite bits besides Gene Gene and Unknown Comic
« on: December 27, 2010, 05:39:36 PM »
I say Larry Spencer and his.....

TimK2003

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 10:29:20 PM »
Any of the acts in which Chuckie Baby has them go...."ONE....MORE...TIME!!!!" (multiplied by at least 3 times).

On one of the last episodes of the daytime run, they did it to a group who was doing a dance called "The Worm", and I know he did it many more times.  Dunno if it was meant to stretch the show or because he thought the act was worth an encore.

Then there was Scarlett & Rhett....

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 10:50:19 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'253484\' date=\'Dec 27 2010, 09:29 PM\']On one of the last episodes of the daytime run, they did it to a group who was doing a dance called "The Worm", and I know he did it many more times.  Dunno if it was meant to stretch the show or because he thought the act was worth an encore.[/quote]
The Worms had been invited back as part of that final week celebration (on that episode nobody won).  I don't remember their first appearance, but they made another appearance in February 1978 (Gene Gene was on the panel that week), and Chuckie had them do the "one more time!" encore several times that show too.  Just part of the schtick.

One of my unheralded favorite bits was Chuckie's fake clap to fool the audience.  Otherwise, gotta go with the fables.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Jay Temple

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 12:05:56 AM »
The judges (I want to say Jaye P. Morgan, Jamie Farr and one other) all acted like they were going to gong the act, and then they gave good numbers at the end.

\For years I've wished that the Idol judges had a gong during the auditions.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

ChuckNet

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 01:09:14 AM »
I'd also vote for The Worm...in fact, the ep they did where Gene-Gene was one of the judges actually ended w/the band playing "their" song, rather than the usual closing theme.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 08:05:22 AM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' post=\'253495\' date=\'Dec 28 2010, 12:09 AM\']I'd also vote for The Worm...in fact, the ep they did where Gene-Gene was one of the judges actually ended w/the band playing "their" song, rather than the usual closing theme.[/quote]
As did the final week show they did.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Robair

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 10:43:37 AM »
Father Ed Holland, the blasphemous man of the cloth, who once said about money, "It's a bitch to be without it." Larry Atnip, the eater of insects. The Verts, who played their zippers. Naso Literatus, who told extremely corny jokes. (But that's a Delugg thing.) And of course, the Magic Chef who whipped up a pancake batter as time (tacky buzzer) ran out. "You can take the old 'Gong Show' and shove it in your ear!" Splat.
--Robair

gameshowcrazy

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 09:21:44 PM »
I always liked the unknown comic.

dale_grass

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 12:11:43 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowcrazy\' post=\'253544\' date=\'Dec 28 2010, 09:21 PM\']I always liked the unknown comic.[/quote]
Second only to Gene Gene.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 11:51:25 AM »
There was a guy named Deo Vincenzo whose act was basically a carbon copy of Chuck's mannerisms. Seeing Chuck fall right into those motions while Deo was imitating him was a hoot.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

davemackey

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 05:50:00 PM »
Loved it when the band would do bits. We've already covered Delugg's contributions.

Foremost of the sidemen was trombonist Joe Howard, a fine musician but one who'd do anything for a gag. He was often shown wearing just a diaper and a "WALTAH" banner. No idea what that meant. He also played a character called "The Lover". Curtains would open, Howard would be trying to climb up a big fake female leg. Curtains would promptly close. Later in the show, he'd do the same again while trying to play his trombone at the same time. Howard and trumpeters Bob Findley and Manny Stevens also did a bit called "The Seals of Approval" in which they'd play Yankee Doodle one note at a time at Barris' direction.

Guitarist Billy Neale singing in a high pitched voice as Howard and drummer Mark Z. Stevens would back him. Stevens was also given to wild dancing.

Sax/clarinet player Lanny Morgan as the James Bond villain "Paws".

And of course bassist Ray Neapolitan as Raybodoo, with his rude songs. Pet my boomsie!

The whole band took part in a gag once where a rather boring act was hijacked by the band's exciting background music, with first Morgan doing a solo and director John Dorsey getting a REALLY TIGHT CLOSEUP, then Findley soloing, and finally the whole band in a shout chorus before Dorsey cut back to the act (which was scored!) at the end of the band's wild performance.

brianhenke

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2010, 11:25:55 PM »
My favorite was when Chuck would clap his hands (and the audience clapped, as well), while introducing acts, and just as the audience clapped with him, he would stop within millimeters of hitting his hands.

Brian
The leaves start to change color in May?

MrBuddwing

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2010, 09:12:28 AM »
My favorite "Gong Show" bit wasn't on "The Gong Show" - it was when Carol Burnett's "Eunice" appeared as a "Gong Show" contestant as part of a "Mama's Family" sketch on "The Carol Burnett  Show." (She sang - or tried to sing - "Feelings.")

But did we ever find out who Sheila Cranshaw really was?

irwinsjournal.com

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2010, 06:38:58 PM »
Speaking of "Feelings" there was that one episode when every act sang "Feelings"...

+1 for the fake claps.
George in Ellison Park, NY

irwinsjournal.com