Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Inspiration Please pic  (Read 3093 times)

Jamey Greek

Inspiration Please pic
« on: January 03, 2011, 10:34:09 PM »
I looked up Trinity Church online and I found a picture of Inspiration Please when they showed a sample of their TV studio!

http://www.trinitywallstreet.org/images/pa...5-1-lboximg.jpg

Steve Gavazzi

Inspiration Please pic
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 06:24:17 PM »
Is this something I should recognize?  'Cause I'm pretty sure I've never heard of it, and there isn't even a Wikipedia article on it.

Matt Ottinger

Inspiration Please pic
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 07:11:14 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'253921\' date=\'Jan 4 2011, 06:24 PM\']Is this something I should recognize?  'Cause I'm pretty sure I've never heard of it, and there isn't even a Wikipedia article on it.[/quote]
Really obscure 1995 faith-based trivia game on the old Odyssey Channel, which over the years morphed into what is today Hallmark Channel.  It's listed in EOTVGS3, where it must have just made their deadline, since the listing doesn't have an end date and I know it didn't run for very long.

There's a home version of sorts.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
Inspiration Please pic
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 08:47:07 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'253924\' date=\'Jan 4 2011, 07:11 PM\'][quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'253921\' date=\'Jan 4 2011, 06:24 PM\']Is this something I should recognize?  'Cause I'm pretty sure I've never heard of it, and there isn't even a Wikipedia article on it.[/quote]
Really obscure 1995 faith-based trivia game on the old Odyssey Channel, which over the years morphed into what is today Hallmark Channel.  It's listed in EOTVGS3, where it must have just made their deadline, since the listing doesn't have an end date and I know it didn't run for very long.

There's a home version of sorts.
[/quote]

Apparently there's a silent crowd that wanted to see it. It made the top 10 on the Game Show Vault Thanksgiving Countdown, so now we know who doesn't visit the site. ;-)

EDIT: I've reposted the episode for those that missed it and actually want to see it.

--Jamie
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 08:54:56 PM by Jimmy Fiono Coyne »

tvmitch

Inspiration Please pic
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 09:00:46 PM »
I remember this vividly. I would watch it because there were so few game shows on TV around this time, and it was easy enough that I knew some of the answers. And because the host wore the absolute best sweaters on television, and I remember thinking how blasted hot it must have been for him in that studio.

I think it ran at least a year, I'd be surprised if it was less. I seem to remember that it was on Odyssey as late as 1998, even. If I had my TV Guide collection here, I'd dig them out...
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 09:02:50 PM by tvmitch »
You should follow me on Twitter

ChuckNet

Inspiration Please pic
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 03:32:15 AM »
[quote name=\'tvmitch\' post=\'253940\' date=\'Jan 4 2011, 09:00 PM\']I remember this vividly. I would watch it because there were so few game shows on TV around this time, and it was easy enough that I knew some of the answers. And because the host wore the absolute best sweaters on television, and I remember thinking how blasted hot it must have been for him in that studio.[/quote]

I used to watch it for similar reasons back in the day, myself. :-) It actually ran from 95-97, and continued in reruns for another year or 2 thereafter...I remember they overhauled the set to give it a more "conventional" GS feel in the final season.

Oh, and it looks like host Robert G. Lee made a nice career for himself as a TV warm-up comic:

Clean Comedians

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 03:34:30 AM by ChuckNet »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Inspiration Please pic
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 01:05:07 AM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' post=\'254149\' date=\'Jan 7 2011, 12:32 AM\']Oh, and it looks like host Robert G. Lee made a nice career for himself as a TV warm-up comic:Clean Comedians[/quote]If Jimmy Carr is 100 on that scale, this guy is zero. In terms of how blue they work, not necessarily how funny.
Travis L. Eberle

Unrealtor

Inspiration Please pic
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 10:56:14 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'254216\' date=\'Jan 8 2011, 12:05 AM\'][quote name=\'ChuckNet\' post=\'254149\' date=\'Jan 7 2011, 12:32 AM\']Oh, and it looks like host Robert G. Lee made a nice career for himself as a TV warm-up comic:Clean Comedians[/quote]If Jimmy Carr is 100 on that scale, this guy is zero. In terms of how blue they work, not necessarily how funny.
[/quote]

If Jimmy Carr is 100 on the scale of offensiveness, how many digits do you need for Frankie Boyle? (And there are far more offensive jokes he's made that require knowledge of British pop culture figures before they make any sense.)
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Inspiration Please pic
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 03:11:33 PM »
[quote name=\'tvmitch\' post=\'253940\' date=\'Jan 4 2011, 06:00 PM\']I remember this vividly. I would watch it because there were so few game shows on TV around this time, and it was easy enough that I knew some of the answers. And because the host wore the absolute best sweaters on television, and I remember thinking how blasted hot it must have been for him in that studio.[/quote]I saw it all of one time, and until reading about it in the Encyclopedia, remembered very little. Then Jamie posted an episode, and it still feels underbaked. The bonus question seems to just be there to take up space and make it something more than thirty buzzer races, and the last Initialism round similarly feels tacked on. I like how they attempt to tie all of the questions back to faiths around the world, but the game needed something more than just a tournament format.

(to the number of episodes, an 81 player bracket would be done in eight weeks, and 273 players could be whittled to one over twenty-four weeks plus one final episode.)
Travis L. Eberle