Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Tom Bergeron on the TPIR gig  (Read 3739 times)

Matt Ottinger

Tom Bergeron on the TPIR gig
« on: January 10, 2011, 05:12:33 PM »
Even though Bergeron's book I'm Hosting as Fast as I Can has been out for a while, I don't think we've ever talked about a brief chapter in which he goes into some detail about the negotiations to have him host The Price Is Right after Barker's retirement.  Keeping in mind that it's told from his perspective, it's still pretty interesting.

The way he tells it, it was pretty much his job to turn down.  In fact he says he turned it down several times.  He says that while there were no contractual conflicts between the CBS show and his two ABC prime time gigs (that itself a bit of a surprise), his biggest issue was the additional time it would take away from his family, which was (and probably still is) based on the East Coast.  He says that he brought up the idea of relocating the show to New York, mostly as a way of getting out of the negotiations, but to his surprise, they were willing to make that accommodation.  He says what finally killed it is that he wanted to sign only a one-year deal, and he believes that the producers wanted somebody willing to sign a longer-term contract.

He mentions that in the middle of his negotiations he heard the rumors that they were courting Rosie O'Donnell, though he doesn't mention that Rosie herself was talking about relocating the show to NYC.  And because he is who he is, he had nothing but nice things to say about both Barker and Carey.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

vtown7

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 06:05:09 PM »
If you do have a chance, pick up the audio copy - Tom's reading of his tales is quite wonderful.  Bonus: during the reading he mentions an email if you have comments... I dropped him a line last year at one point and he wrote back within the day.  That's classy.

Also, not sure how long it's been up, but the April fool's episode of H2 from 2003 on youtube, and it is well worth the watch - especially if you've heard the context it was put in by Tom on the book.  Very brilliant.

Ryan.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 06:05:45 PM by vtown7 »

chad1m

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 06:39:12 PM »
I actually posted the chapter about this on YouTube a while back, if you'd like to hear him tell the tale. His book is a really, really great listen.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 06:40:11 PM by chad1m »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 06:40:42 PM »
Wow. All you have to do is a couple of years of TPIR and you're set for life, I would think. Wonder why his family couldn't/wouldn't move to California.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 07:00:40 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'254398\' date=\'Jan 10 2011, 06:40 PM\']Wonder why his family couldn't/wouldn't move to California.[/quote]Great job or not, its not exactly easy to pack up and go, leaving other family and friends behind.  When I made my move to Kansas City, it was a difficult decision to make and I'm not exactly tied down.  Some people have strong roots in their communities and its hard to do.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

JayDLewis

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 07:07:23 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'254398\' date=\'Jan 10 2011, 07:40 PM\']Wow. All you have to do is a couple of years of TPIR and you're set for life, I would think. Wonder why his family couldn't/wouldn't move to California.[/quote]

Hugh Laurie only recently bought a house and moved his wife and daughter (I think) to LA. He didn't want to disrupt their school lives and I believe both his children are attending university.

I believe Bergeron expressed a similar sentiment about uprooting his kids' lives and/or not wanting them to grow up in LA.
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 07:50:17 PM »
I could list a half dozen employees of Goodson-Todman Productions who, with their families, packed up and moved from New York to Los Angeles when Mr. Goodson moved the company here. Lucky them; most of them bought mansions right at the start of the California real estate boom in the '70s. Not only did G-T folk move, so did Monty Hall, Heatter and Quigley, Barry and Enright (via Canada). Even Bob Stewart moved out here eventually. Chuck Barris' company never had a presence in New York -- he's the exception. Stefan Hatos and John Guedel were already in L.A.

As Frank Wayne would say, "You go where the business is."

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 08:32:33 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'254404\' date=\'Jan 10 2011, 07:50 PM\']As Frank Wayne would say, "You go where the business is."[/quote]
For some people, there are things more important than just money or employment.
This signature is currently under construction.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 08:56:58 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'254405\' date=\'Jan 10 2011, 05:32 PM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'254404\' date=\'Jan 10 2011, 07:50 PM\']As Frank Wayne would say, "You go where the business is."[/quote]For some people, there are things more important than just money or employment.[/quote]In our family's case, we moved because our next-door neighbors were really not fans of our doggies. Really really not fans of doggies. So instead of dealing with him or reporting his ass to the authorities, we moved. I wasn't happy about the route we took, but I was but a teenager and didn't get to vote.
If you didn’t create it, it isn’t your content.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 08:58:52 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'254404\' date=\'Jan 10 2011, 07:50 PM\']I could list a half dozen employees of Goodson-Todman Productions[/quote]Good on them.  I'm sure you could take the flip side of the coin and list some that didn't move--Gene Rayburn immediately comes to mind.  The man didn't want to uproot his family.  I personally think that's commendable, as opposed to going for the fame or cash grab.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 09:34:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'254405\' date=\'Jan 10 2011, 05:32 PM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'254404\' date=\'Jan 10 2011, 07:50 PM\']As Frank Wayne would say, "You go where the business is."[/quote]
For some people, there are things more important than just money or employment.[/quote]
Easy to say if you're not the family breadwinner or are independently wealthy. For every Frank Wayne I've known there have been dozens more in the TV news business who have pulled up stakes and relocated for assorted employment-related reasons (they needed the work and they needed the income).

Read the O.P. again. CBS was willing to move the show to NY just to accomodate Bergeron but he still wasn't interested. Moving the show to NY would mean many, many staffers in CA would have had to either relocate or quit.

chad1m

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 09:58:41 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'254408\' date=\'Jan 10 2011, 09:34 PM\']Moving the show to NY would mean many, many staffers in CA would have had to either relocate or quit.[/quote]Which, as indicated in the book, also factored into his decision. He didn't want to move hundreds of people or put people out of work just because it was convenient for him.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 09:59:17 PM by chad1m »

vtown7

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 10:18:33 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'254409\' date=\'Jan 10 2011, 09:58 PM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'254408\' date=\'Jan 10 2011, 09:34 PM\']Moving the show to NY would mean many, many staffers in CA would have had to either relocate or quit.[/quote]Which, as indicated in the book, also factored into his decision. He didn't want to move hundreds of people or put people out of work just because it was convenient for him.
[/quote]

Also the same reason the host resigned from his position of the English version of Des Chiffres et Des Lynam.

R.

/apologies to Weaver's Week

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 11:09:11 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'254398\' date=\'Jan 10 2011, 06:40 PM\']Wow. All you have to do is a couple of years of TPIR and you're set for life, I would think. Wonder why his family couldn't/wouldn't move to California.[/quote]
He already had two prime time gigs going, and I read in a trade magazine that he was making a million a year just off AFV.  Plus he'd just come off six seasons of Squares.  Plus every time he turned around, somebody was offering him something else to do.  He passed "set for life" some time ago.  He was definitely in a position to say no.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 11:58:47 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'254408\' date=\'Jan 10 2011, 09:34 PM\'][quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'254405\' date=\'Jan 10 2011, 05:32 PM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'254404\' date=\'Jan 10 2011, 07:50 PM\']As Frank Wayne would say, "You go where the business is."[/quote]
For some people, there are things more important than just money or employment.[/quote]
Easy to say if you're not the family breadwinner or are independently wealthy.[/quote]
I am neither of those (unless being able to maintain a four-figure bank account out of college is "independently wealthy"), yet I was able to find a job in the location I wanted, even though it could be considered a "sub-optimal" career choice.

Are there people who aren't able to choose?  Absolutely, but don't think for a second that choosing your career path is a luxury exclusive to the upper crust.
This signature is currently under construction.