Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Quiz Formats for Kids - have there been any?  (Read 1492 times)

pownster

New Quiz Formats for Kids - have there been any?
« on: January 16, 2011, 03:10:09 AM »
This may be a case of my ignorance - but globally, have there been any new game show formats especially created for the kids' market. Since the hey-days of the late 1980's/early 1990's, the number of shows created especially for the younger audiences would appear to have dried up.

Here in Oz, there had not been any new formats since the early '00s - only adaptions of tried and trusted formats (It's Academic, Pyramid). We finally got a few format late in 2010 ("Spit It Out") which I believe has been very successful ratings wise.

Is this an untapped market which has been largely forgotten?
Chris Powney

Australian Game Show Home Page

http://members.iinet.net.au/~powney/gameshow/homepage.htm

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 10:44:33 AM »
[quote name=\'pownster\' post=\'254840\' date=\'Jan 16 2011, 03:10 AM\']This may be a case of my ignorance - but globally, have there been any new game show formats especially created for the kids' market. Since the hey-days of the late 1980's/early 1990's, the number of shows created especially for the younger audiences would appear to have dried up.[/quote]
Recently here in the states, Nickelodeon's Brain Surge and the two new shows on The Hub, Family Fun Night and Pictureka, have been the highest profile launches, though there may be others I'm not thinking of.  Certainly down from the heyday of those early Nickelodeon shows, but hardly vanished.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

tpirfan28

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 11:11:25 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'254848\' date=\'Jan 16 2011, 10:44 AM\'][quote name=\'pownster\' post=\'254840\' date=\'Jan 16 2011, 03:10 AM\']This may be a case of my ignorance - but globally, have there been any new game show formats especially created for the kids' market. Since the hey-days of the late 1980's/early 1990's, the number of shows created especially for the younger audiences would appear to have dried up.[/quote]
Recently here in the states, Nickelodeon's Brain Surge and the two new shows on The Hub, Family Fun Night and Pictureka, have been the highest profile launches, though there may be others I'm not thinking of.  Certainly down from the heyday of those early Nickelodeon shows, but hardly vanished.
[/quote]
My Family's Got GUTS and My Dad is better than your Dad.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Brig Bother

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 11:24:37 AM »
The BBC have done a ton in recent years, many of which have been quite good.

Just this week we have Trapped Ever After (fantasy game with kids trying to escape a fairy-tale tower by performing tasks, although one of them is The Mole), Copycats (fun family game based around Chinese whispers), Mission 2110 (sci-fi adventure game, the Sci-fi Raven if you will, although I don't think it's as good), Blast Lab (kids science experiment quiz with gunge and Richard Hammond off of Top Gear and [Total] Wipeout) and Junior Masterchef (you can probably guess this one). There is normally a game on the BBC in their main kids strand on a daily basis.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 11:30:27 AM by Brig Bother »

tpirfan28

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 03:03:53 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'254850\' date=\'Jan 16 2011, 11:11 AM\']My Family's Got GUTS and My Dad is better than your Dad.[/quote]I really should have read the subject of this thread a little bit better.

/And really those two plus the others are really the only kids games in general anyway.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

TimK2003

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 08:36:32 PM »
Anyone know how long it's been since a Kids Week has been on a game show usually played by adults?

chad1m

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 08:40:16 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'254877\' date=\'Jan 16 2011, 08:36 PM\']Anyone know how long it's been since a Kids Week has been on a game show usually played by adults?[/quote]About six months?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 08:40:27 PM by chad1m »