Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Patrick Wayne question  (Read 7007 times)

uncamark

Patrick Wayne question
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2003, 05:11:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Dec 3 2003, 04:53 PM\'][quote name=\'DJDustman\' date=\'Dec 3 2003, 02:25 PM\'] Now I know 99.9% of all game show fans hate him and TTD90 .  But he was only doing his job hosting the show.  I, for one, am a big fan of TTD 90.  So theres no need for all the negative comments about Patrick Wayne.

I'm just throwing in my two cents because I am sure there are other people around here who like TTD 90 and the host. [/quote]
The show and the host was terrible.  There was very little good about it.  To me it is the second worst game show ever made (Camoflauge coming in first).

"I was the first president of the United States.  I am currently on the $1 bill.  My first name is George, and Washington D.C. is named after me.  Who am I?"[/quote]
And a lot of the questions back in the Wink days of "TTD" were almost as bad.  B&E shows were notorious from crux and overstuff in their questions instead of crux and fill.  All the better for Richard Kline's extended extreme close-ups of the contestants' faces.  (And I'm sorry, but I always felt that for every one of the wipes, inserts and split screens Kline did that worked, there were three that were overkill.  The funny thing is that he stopped doing all that when he became his own producer, which make me wonder if all of the hyperactivity with the wipes was more Dan Enright's idea.)

byrd62

Patrick Wayne question
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2003, 05:27:24 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Dec 4 2003, 05:11 PM\'](And I'm sorry, but I always felt that for every one of the wipes, inserts and split screens Kline did that worked, there were three that were overkill.  The funny thing is that he stopped doing all that when he became his own producer, which make me wonder if all of the hyperactivity with the wipes was more Dan Enright's idea.)[/quote]
Maybe so, because I have seen clips of the original Twenty-One from the late 1950's with Herb Stempel vs. Charles Van Doren, where they showed a split-screen of the two as Jack Barry was asking them if either wanted to stop the game, which Van Doren did to win.

BrandonFG

Patrick Wayne question
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2003, 09:38:14 PM »
[quote name=\'byrd62\' date=\'Dec 4 2003, 05:27 PM\'] [quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Dec 4 2003, 05:11 PM\'](And I'm sorry, but I always felt that for every one of the wipes, inserts and split screens Kline did that worked, there were three that were overkill.  The funny thing is that he stopped doing all that when he became his own producer, which make me wonder if all of the hyperactivity with the wipes was more Dan Enright's idea.)[/quote]
Maybe so, because I have seen clips of the original Twenty-One from the late 1950's with Herb Stempel vs. Charles Van Doren, where they showed a split-screen of the two as Jack Barry was asking them if either wanted to stop the game, which Van Doren did to win. [/quote]
 Now that you mention it, I would almost think the same. I noticed on many late syndie eps. of TJW where they would do a flashy wipe going into a question, and then another one coming out of that question. I'd take a shot and say that since some of the Barry-Enright sets were fairly high-tech themselves, they should have a graphics package to match, i.e. Bullseye, second TJW set.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Justin30519

Patrick Wayne question
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2003, 10:06:29 PM »
When he lost, I'm surprised he didn't turn to his opponent and say: "You wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin"

Justin Dyer

ilb4ever2000

Patrick Wayne question
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2003, 12:25:19 AM »
The funny thing is that he stopped doing all that when he became his own producer, which make me wonder if all of the hyperactivity with the wipes was more Dan Enright's idea.

I seem to remember a Jim Caldwell TTD where the camera zoomed in further on the center box with each tick of the timer during the think music. Slightly laughable. But that was after Kline left.

Johnissoevil

Patrick Wayne question
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2003, 02:31:41 PM »
I've never had a problem with Patrick.  I may have picked on him sometimes over on that *other* group, but that was it, just ribbing how bad of a game show host he was.  I've seen some of his acting, and he isn't a bad actor.  And I'll say this, I was impressed by how intelligent he was on Bullseye (I know he appeared on Body Language and Super Password, but this is the first time I remember seeing him as a contestant on a Q&A game).  He did get a few wrong, but when all was said and done, he proved himself to be bright.
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

zachhoran

Patrick Wayne question
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2003, 07:43:45 PM »
[quote name=\'Johnissoevil\' date=\'Dec 5 2003, 02:31 PM\'] I've never had a problem with Patrick.  I may have picked on him sometimes over on that *other* group, but that was it, just ribbing how bad of a game show host he was.  I've seen some of his acting, and he isn't a bad actor.  And I'll say this, I was impressed by how intelligent he was on Bullseye (I know he appeared on Body Language and Super Password, but this is the first time I remember seeing him as a contestant on a Q&A game).  He did get a few wrong, but when all was said and done, he proved himself to be bright. [/quote]
 Patrick was a better game show guest than host. His half-brother Ethan did a celeb week each of $25K Pyramid and Combs Feud, and he came across a bit more misinformed that Patrick. Ethan was a co-star of Bold and Beautiful at the time, and Bryan Genesse, his co-star, didnt' seem much better. They were in their 20s then, so I guess we can give them some slack.

Starkman

Patrick Wayne question
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2003, 09:29:49 PM »
actually i thought that the whole you wiiiiiiinnnn thing was more a reaction to the whole cheesiness of TTD 90. than patrick being a moron.

We had rapping dragons, dragonslayers, a kids show style theme, he fit in, it just was well the whole show sucked...that being said, boy did patrick wayne suck...but hey he wasnt the worst ever host out there (Mike Reily, anyone.)

And I agree, he proved to be very bright against a VERY tough opponent in F.Lee Bailey (!)

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
Patrick Wayne question
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2003, 09:46:33 PM »
The show and the host was terrible. There was very little good about it. To me it is the second worst game show ever made (Camoflauge coming in first

I must be one of the few souls in the universe who actually kinda liked Camouflage.

Back to the subject, I remember watching TTD '90 reruns everyday when USA ran them. I may not have any episodes on tape, but Patrick Wayne's antics have been forever burned into my memory and remain indelible on my brain. It makes me so curious as to what that 1980s pilot was. Perhaps Bob Boden could answer that; it wouldn't surprise me if he had it in his gargantuan private video collection.

I also thought Mancini's composition was kinda cute....bad for the show, but a cute little ditty. Then again, what wasn't bad for that show?

--Jamie

Brandon Brooks

Patrick Wayne question
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2003, 10:20:14 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Fiono Coyne\' date=\'Dec 5 2003, 09:46 PM\']
The show and the host was terrible. There was very little good about it. To me it is the second worst game show ever made (Camoflauge coming in first
[/quote]
 Finders Keepers, good show.  Camoflauge, inexplicably bad to me.  Find the picture for adults is inane.

Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks

Patrick Wayne question
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2003, 03:14:19 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 6 2003, 08:40 AM\'] At least Camouflage didn't have players placing Colorforms-like sticky pictures on a board like the syndicated run of Finder's Keepers did(the Nick run had them find the pictures electronically by circling them with a computerized pen) [/quote]
 How does this comment matter to what I just said?  Or is it that you felt a overwhelming need to tell me what you know about Finders Keepers?

Brandon Brooks