Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 80's Let's Make a Deal Question  (Read 4498 times)

cmjb13

80's Let's Make a Deal Question
« on: November 28, 2003, 08:04:46 AM »
Any particular reason why the prizes/cash given away were cheaper than the original version?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

zachhoran

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2003, 08:10:39 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Nov 28 2003, 08:04 AM\'] Any particular reason why the prizes/cash given away were cheaper than the original version? [/quote]
 It was a five a week show as opposed to a weekly show as the 70s syndie show was, the budget was a bit smaller(though a bit higher than the Canuck-based 1980 version), and the ratings weren't the highest(though it did get a second season and was offered a third, but Monty decided not to do a third year of it). The second season had a slightly bigger budget than the first, with big deals being usually $10K-$11K in season two as opposed to $7K-$9K in season one.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2003, 02:48:30 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Nov 28 2003, 08:04 AM\'] Any particular reason why the prizes/cash given away were cheaper than the original version? [/quote]
 Cheaper, is a relevant term.

Don't tell me a VW Rabbit is "cheaper" then a Chevy Vega.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2003, 03:59:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Nov 28 2003, 02:48 PM\'] [quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Nov 28 2003, 08:04 AM\'] Any particular reason why the prizes/cash given away were cheaper than the original version? [/quote]
 [/quote]
 I'm sure if 70s LMaD had been 5-days a week in syndication, the Big Deals would be more $7K range, and less $10,000 Cadillacs. It's just the weekly syndie shows offered bigger budgets than daily shows, whether syndie or network. I don't think the 80s prizes were that bad. Inflation from the 70s to 80s would put the prizes at about the same level.

For a daytime syndicated show, the cars weren't half-bad. Look at an early syndie ep. of Wheel of Fortune. Their cars were on the same level as 80s LMaD.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

daveromanjr

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2003, 06:11:38 PM »
The Big Deal in the 80's was sometimes pretty funny with it totalling less than some people made in the deals.  I think there are a couple episodes where people were asked if they wanted to trade in X amount of winnings for a chance at less winnings.

HSquares2003

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2003, 06:18:26 PM »
Seems like that happened on the Vertivision blocks last year Dave. I recall quite a few LMAD's that had that happen.

That Don Guy

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2003, 06:52:25 PM »
[quote name=\'daveromanjr\' date=\'Nov 28 2003, 06:11 PM\'] The Big Deal in the 80's was sometimes pretty funny with it totalling less than some people made in the deals.  I think there are a couple episodes where people were asked if they wanted to trade in X amount of winnings for a chance at less winnings. [/quote]
 This happened quite a bit in the ABC daytime version as well, especially near the end of the run.  (Usually, if a couple played for a trip or a car, it was worth more than that day's Big Deal.)

-- Don

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2003, 07:10:40 PM »
[quote name=\'daveromanjr\' date=\'Nov 28 2003, 04:11 PM\'] I think there are a couple episodes where people were asked if they wanted to trade in X amount of winnings for a chance at less winnings. [/quote]
 Question is, did anyone bite? Usually Monty asked in a going-through-the-motions kind of way, because he was obligated to ask in order of winnings, but I wonder if anyone from Indiana who won a yacht or something might have taken a shot at it.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

uncamark

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2003, 08:59:37 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 28 2003, 07:10 PM\'][quote name=\'daveromanjr\' date=\'Nov 28 2003, 04:11 PM\'] I think there are a couple episodes where people were asked if they wanted to trade in X amount of winnings for a chance at less winnings. [/quote]
Question is, did anyone bite? Usually Monty asked in a going-through-the-motions kind of way, because he was obligated to ask in order of winnings, but I wonder if anyone from Indiana who won a yacht or something might have taken a shot at it.[/quote]
Seemed to me that in those instances Monty treated it this way: "You wouldn't want to trade your car worth $4,000 for the Big Deal, would you?"  Since nine times out of ten people didn't trade away cars, the answer would almost certainly be "no."

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2003, 09:52:18 PM »
I clearly remember one person who shook their head "yes" when asked to trade winnings of more than the Big Deal. Monty's shocked "You WILL?!?" and a suddenly very vocal audience convinced her to back off quickly.
@lambertman

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2003, 10:36:35 PM »
[quote name=\'ChrisLambert!\' date=\'Dec 2 2003, 09:52 PM\'] I clearly remember one person who shook their head "yes" when asked to trade winnings of more than the Big Deal. Monty's shocked "You WILL?!?" and a suddenly very vocal audience convinced her to back off quickly. [/quote]
 Semantics issue:  You nod yes, you shake your head no...

Unless you're confused.  But of course, that would be like taking a laxative and Immodium AD.

Brandon Brooks

zachhoran

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2003, 09:28:13 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Nov 28 2003, 08:10 AM\'] [quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Nov 28 2003, 08:04 AM\'] Any particular reason why the prizes/cash given away were cheaper than the original version? [/quote]
It was a five a week show as opposed to a weekly show as the 70s syndie show was, the budget was a bit smaller(though a bit higher than the Canuck-based 1980 version), and the ratings weren't the highest(though it did get a second season and was offered a third, but Monty decided not to do a third year of it). The second season had a slightly bigger budget than the first, with big deals being usually $10K-$11K in season two as opposed to $7K-$9K in season one. [/quote]
 Another thing that was "downsized" for LMAD8x: no more giant giant giant economy size boxes of Creamettes, Rice-a-Roni, or Lolli-Pups that were used as "teasers" behind boxes and curtains in the 70s. Also, the wall fee plugs were downsized from the 70s to the 80s run, so they looked a little less intrusive.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2003, 10:08:51 AM »
GSN has only showed the prime access LMAD, the network daytime show was not as extravagant.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

zachhoran

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2003, 10:19:52 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Dec 6 2003, 10:08 AM\'] GSN has only showed the prime access LMAD, the network daytime show was not as extravagant. [/quote]
 They have shown one ABC Daytime show(from early 1971 IIRC), it wasn't all that cheap as I recall.

ChuckNet

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2003, 06:52:41 PM »
They have shown one ABC Daytime show(from early 1971 IIRC), it wasn't all that cheap as I recall.

If these are the 2 ABC eps that turned up during that Let's Make a Deal-A-Thon that GSN aired 2 yrs ago, they were actually from the primetime run...on the 2 daytime eps that have been floating around, the Big Deal was worth somewhere between $1500-$2K.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")