Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cedric the Game Show Host  (Read 8006 times)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Cedric the Game Show Host
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2011, 11:11:38 AM »
My issue is that I joined in late, so when I see the graphic saying "Bust It," I'm thinking, "OK, they lose, who's our next contestant?"

Shouldn't a game show be simple enough that if you join in late you can still figure out the scoring system?

On the positive, at least Cedric didn't do the "It's worth whaaa-aaaat?  We'll find out after this" routine (unless he did it before I joined up).
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

tpirfan28

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2011, 01:45:07 PM »
Went back and skimmed it, here's the games for this show:
Most Expensive
90s TTTT/One on One
Most Expensive
Easy as 1-2-3
Trader Bob
Most Expensive
Who's Who - WML
...and the end, which is some kind of Poker Game extension.

I feel a "Swap Meet" would be interesting.

Also: great set.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2011, 01:55:23 PM »
Worst lock-in catchphrase EVAR.

I dunno. I made it partway through the third game and decided I didn't much care what this stuff was worth.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 01:59:06 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

beatlefreak84

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2011, 02:42:55 PM »
I watched it last night with my girlfriend, and we both said the same thing:  Interesting premise, but it's already being done at a faster pace on TPIR, the novelty will wear quickly, and the "Are you SURE sure?" variation of "Final answer?" was extremely grating after a few segments.

However, I will say that I liked the final round; a nice change of pace from the quick-play games they had earlier.  Part of me thinks that it would work better with maybe two competing teams in the first part of the show, playing for 1/10 the stakes it has now, with the winning team getting to play the final round.

Then again, I've got TPIR, so, although Cedric isn't a bad host, I can't see myself watching much more of this show, and would be *very* surprised to see it make it out of the summer.

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

That Don Guy

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2011, 02:49:14 PM »
Then again, I've got TPIR, so, although Cedric isn't a bad host, I can't see myself watching much more of this show, and would be *very* surprised to see it make it out of the summer.
Agreed - especially as I think they would run out of items that anybody cares out relatively quickly.

I also have a feeling there are going to be a number of complaints about putting a dollar value on an elephant.

tpirfan28

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2011, 08:23:38 PM »
So...a new Minute to Win It gets pulled tonight for last night's episode of this thing?
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

alfonzos

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2011, 08:54:00 PM »
I stayed for the whole thing so it was better than I expected. Not compelling enough to tune in again though. And yes, I'm SURE sure.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 06:13:55 PM by alfonzos »
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2011, 11:25:42 PM »
In an effort to encourage positive behavior, I will point out the things I liked:

- Not once did they go to commercial before an answer was revealed!

- No emotion-manipulating backstories. Here are the two contestants, here's how they know one another, here's an interesting anecdote about them, now let's play the game for the rest of the show. The focus was on playing along with the contestants, right where it should be.

- While the set may have been a little too dark (to mimic all of the other dark-set game shows), I did like that the set elements all played to the same motif, matching the subject matter of the show (rather than just being another dark blue and silver set). I found the Nixie tube-inspired score display especially charming.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2011, 11:31:21 PM »
I found the Nixie tube-inspired score display especially charming.
And if it wasn't just another screen, I would have dug that too. I liked that the set had an Indiana Jones warehouse vibe to it, but the idea that I could link the challenges to TPIR games cheesed me off. Even the grand final was a thinly-veiled Step Up.

I'm not sure what you can do with prices of stuff, but the problem I had was that I had no baseline. I know that a Cadillac is more than a Mustang, and that Drano is more than Doritos. Not once could I do anything other than just do a mental coin flip and pick something. In a conversation with another, I said that there needed to be either more games/less show time, some competition, and a greater variation in the tasks at hand.
Travis L. Eberle

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2011, 11:56:51 PM »
the idea that I could link the challenges to TPIR games cheesed me off. Even the grand final was a thinly-veiled Step Up.
Considering the premise of the show is to estimate the value of items, and that even the venerable Price cannibalizes itself on occasion, I don't find this to be as big a problem.  After all, what can you feasibly do that can't be traced back to another show?
This signature is currently under construction.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2011, 12:08:08 AM »
Considering the premise of the show is to estimate the value of items, and that even the venerable Price cannibalizes itself on occasion, I don't find this to be as big a problem.  After all, what can you feasibly do that can't be traced back to another show?
Fair point, but then I would say that they could have done a little more to be less obvious about it.
Travis L. Eberle

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2011, 12:50:31 AM »
Except when they actually did try to add some complexity in the endgame, you still called them out.

Also, when the big elaborate set pieces are the "prizes" and not the games, I'm not sure that covering simple tasks in layers of chrome works as well as you and I would like.  But the promos imply there are more minigames to be played, so maybe it'll come up trumps for everyone.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 12:51:07 AM by Joe Mello »
This signature is currently under construction.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2011, 03:06:59 AM »
Even the grand final was a thinly-veiled Step Up.

I'm not sure what you can do with prices of stuff, but the problem I had was that I had no baseline. I know that a Cadillac is more than a Mustang, and that Drano is more than Doritos. Not once could I do anything other than just do a mental coin flip and pick something. In a conversation with another, I said that there needed to be either more games/less show time, some competition, and a greater variation in the tasks at hand.
I pinned the Grand Final to Clearance Sale for the gameplay, but yeah, Step Up for the scoring. I like that it's not a "you leave with nothing" situation, and that a pair of contestants who do well enough in the main game are still going to be guaranteed to leave with five figures, if not a little less.

My big issue, as already mentioned, is that I really don't know how to price any of these products with any logic or confidence, and that takes away some of the fun of the gameplay. I can argue with my girlfriend over the price of a current car, but it's going to be harder to do that with Princess Di's dress since neither of us has a single damn clue of where to start price wise.

One thing that I think is missing in recent game shows is the competition. Honestly, I'm tired of seeing game shows where it's gotta be "contestant against the house". I appreciate the fact that they didn't take the money tree/3 helps route, but when I watch a game show, I like to see some real competition. Anyway, It's Worth What is good enough to be on as background television, but for me, nothing more than that.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

JayDLewis

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2011, 11:43:26 AM »
My big issue, as already mentioned, is that I really don't know how to price any of these products with any logic or confidence, and that takes away some of the fun of the gameplay.

Is that fair though? I don't know every world capital or everything Shakespeare has written...that doesn't ruin the gameplay of Jeopardy! for me.
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything