Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Columbia's New Recording Artist...Chuck Woolery?  (Read 1253 times)

Tim L

Columbia's New Recording Artist...Chuck Woolery?
« on: September 04, 2011, 09:47:17 PM »
Just found this today..Cleveland Plain Dealer Ad for a May Company sponsored "Summer TV Party" aired over WEWS-TV 5 Cleveland on Friday, August 14, 1970..Except for an 11:00 Newsbreak, this went on from 9:30-4AM..A lot of current popular music acts were featured, Including Rod Stewart, Bobby Goldsboro,  Oliver, The Jaggerz, Ronnie Dyson, and "Introducing Chuck Woolery, Columbia's New Recording Artist"..

There was also some comedy. provided by "Ghoul" Ernie Anderson (Channel 5 couldnt use the Ghoulardi name because it was owned by WJW-TV 8) and New York TV's Chuck McCann, who was just becoming famous for a national Right Guard Commercial ("Hi Guy")..Don Webster of Upbeat and Radio's Billy Bass and Larry Morrow were among the hosts..

I had never heard of this before..That any TV station, especially WEWS, would air a 6 and a half hour "Rock and Roll TV Party"..I knew Woolery had done some singing, but I hadnt heard of him on an actual label before..

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

Robair

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 12:50:16 PM »
Just found this today..Cleveland Plain Dealer Ad for a May Company sponsored "Summer TV Party" aired over WEWS-TV 5 Cleveland on Friday, August 14, 1970..Except for an 11:00 Newsbreak, this went on from 9:30-4AM..A lot of current popular music acts were featured, Including Rod Stewart, Bobby Goldsboro,  Oliver, The Jaggerz, Ronnie Dyson, and "Introducing Chuck Woolery, Columbia's New Recording Artist"..

There was also some comedy. provided by "Ghoul" Ernie Anderson (Channel 5 couldnt use the Ghoulardi name because it was owned by WJW-TV 8) and New York TV's Chuck McCann, who was just becoming famous for a national Right Guard Commercial ("Hi Guy")..Don Webster of Upbeat and Radio's Billy Bass and Larry Morrow were among the hosts..

I had never heard of this before..That any TV station, especially WEWS, would air a 6 and a half hour "Rock and Roll TV Party"..I knew Woolery had done some singing, but I hadnt heard of him on an actual label before..

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/
Well, it was more or less a solo thing with Chuck and Columbia, having been the lead voice on the label's "Naturally Stoned" by the Avant Garde. Less than a year after that special aired, he was with RCA and was shopped as a country singer-songwriter who could cross over to AC. Later on in the decade, when he was hosting "Wheel", Warner Bros. gave him a tumble, but musical success eluded him, lucky for game show fans.
--Robair

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 09:00:44 PM »
Well, it was more or less a solo thing with Chuck and Columbia, having been the lead voice on the label's "Naturally Stoned" by the Avant Garde. Less than a year after that special aired, he was with RCA and was shopped as a country singer-songwriter who could cross over to AC. Later on in the decade, when he was hosting "Wheel", Warner Bros. gave him a tumble, but musical success eluded him, lucky for game show fans.

Whitburn lists two chart singles for Chuck: "Painted Lady" (Warner 8381) got to #78 on Hot Country Singles in 1977, and "The Greatest Love Affair" (Epic 50897) got to #94 in 1980. I think it's interesting that he was actually charting while hosting Wheel.
Bobby Peacock