Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR/Magic # question  (Read 1800 times)

HYHYBT

TPIR/Magic # question
« on: December 05, 2003, 05:21:57 PM »
I know this is probably a silly question, but what is the Magic # board, exactly? I don't even know quite how to ask what I'm trying to, but that ring looks like it ought to be computer-generated but it can't be with the score display in the middle like it is.
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

cmjb13

TPIR/Magic # question
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2003, 05:29:06 PM »
Up close it looks like a television in there, but more than likely it's computer generated.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Neumms

TPIR/Magic # question
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2003, 06:46:58 PM »
Don't tell us! That's what makes the game so captivating! You think people would flock to Stonehenge and Easter Island if people knew how it got there? Don't ruin it! It's my favorite game!

Brandon Brooks

TPIR/Magic # question
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2003, 06:50:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Dec 5 2003, 06:46 PM\'] Don't tell us! That's what makes the game so captivating! You think people would flock to Stonehenge and Easter Island if people knew how it got there? Don't ruin it! It's my favorite game! [/quote]
 Uhhhh... what?  That's kinda ridiculous, but it's your prerogative.  Stop reading this thread.

Anyway, I've been wondering the same thing.  Does someone know?

Brandon Brooks

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
TPIR/Magic # question
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2003, 07:00:58 PM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Dec 5 2003, 04:50 PM\'] Anyway, I've been wondering the same thing.  Does someone know?
 [/quote]
 I can guess. I'm pretty sure I'm right, but without confirmation from someone who has actually seen the prop, all it is is a guess.

The way I think they do the visual effect with the ring: What is perceived as the "rear" of the box is actually slanted at a 45-degree angle. So it's deeper at the top than the bottom. Then, if you lay the ring in there, and light it properly, what looks like a spinning oval is in fact merely a circle.

From there, the eggcrate is mounted so it's face is parallel to the face of the box (which is in fact flat and perpendicular to the floor.)

Really not a difficult visual effect, what's tricky is lighting it so the illusion is maintained.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe