Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Twenty-One ties  (Read 9874 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Twenty-One ties
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2011, 08:11:01 PM »
Hmm I always thought If the game was in a tie and any player elected to stop, was in a forfeit by default. Meaning <host mode> "both players are tied at 14, any player who decides to Stop the game . Quits the chance to continue and the game will be over for them!" </hm> I mean that's how I'd do it.

Approves

/holy bad television, Batman!
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Adam Nedeff

Twenty-One ties
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2011, 10:02:30 PM »
Hmm I always thought If the game was in a tie and any player elected to stop, was in a forfeit by default. Meaning <host mode> "both players are tied at 14, any player who decides to Stop the game . Quits the chance to continue and the game will be over for them!" </hm> I mean that's how I'd do it.
...Why?

J.R.

Twenty-One ties
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2011, 10:37:25 PM »
I don't think you all should take someone who would do a <host mode> </host mode> schtick seriously.

Just saying.
-Joe Raygor

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
Twenty-One ties
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2011, 10:41:22 PM »
I'll shoot.William feels that it is more fair that a person who stops the game prematurely be penalized if he is not actually in the lead.  As it is, if a player has 20, he should always stop the game since he knows his opponent doesn't have 21. For that matter, a player with 19 is very likely to stop the game for similar reasons.This has the likely effect of promoting slightly more frequently  complete games and slightly more tension in cases of ties scores. OTOH, it makes for bad TV to lose when tied like that.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Twenty-One ties
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2011, 11:25:30 PM »
Here's a question: since you consider stopping with a tie a forfeit by default, shouldn't you then consider stopping AT ALL a forfeit by default? No matter when you decide to stop, you're saying you don't want to play anymore, ergo...
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Twenty-One ties
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2011, 02:05:10 AM »
No matter when you decide to stop, you're saying you don't want to play anymore, ergo...
Given that Gene was the one who came up with a reason and not Host Boy there, I'm inclined to give him a wide berth. Football teams are allowed to run out the clock without actually playing.

In the same wasy as "use all the tools you're allowed," I don't look at a declaration of Quitsies as waving the white flag, but like calling Tichu: you're so sure that you're going to win the round that you're willing to pay a severe penalty if the prove-out goes the other way. And that is exactly how it is on Twenty-one.
Travis L. Eberle

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
Twenty-One ties
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2011, 03:02:39 AM »
No matter when you decide to stop, you're saying you don't want to play anymore, ergo...
Given that Gene was the one who came up with a reason and not Host Boy there, I'm inclined to give him a wide berth. Football teams are allowed to run out the clock without actually playing.

In the same wasy as "use all the tools you're allowed," I don't look at a declaration of Quitsies as waving the white flag, but like calling Tichu: you're so sure that you're going to win the round that you're willing to pay a severe penalty if the prove-out goes the other way. And that is exactly how it is on Twenty-one.

Right, but there are no ties in determining who goes out when, in a hand of Tichu.  But in 21, there can be a tie other than 21-21.  Causing ties to go against the player who stopped the game isn't terribly unreasonable where the actual game is concerned.  Just... like I said, I don't think it makes for good TV.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Twenty-One ties
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2011, 08:27:09 PM »
Well,... WHY THE HELL NOT!!
Notwithstanding that I really don't like being yelled at, it was established that your way would make for downright rubbish TV.
Travis L. Eberle

J.R.

Twenty-One ties
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2011, 08:27:41 PM »
Incoherent rambling snipped
Wow. Someone has some SERIOUS maturity issues...
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 08:29:18 PM by J.R. »
-Joe Raygor

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Twenty-One ties
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2011, 08:48:24 PM »
Sorry, I thought I was trying to be serious here.
You chose poorly. You cannot have an aneurysm over Michigan J. Frog and expect to be taken seriously.
Travis L. Eberle

William_S.

Twenty-One ties
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2011, 09:05:14 PM »
Hmm I always thought If the game was in a tie and any player elected to stop, was in a forfeit by default. Meaning  "both players are tied at 14, any player who decides to Stop the game . Quits the chance to continue and the game will be over for them!"  I mean that's how I'd do it.

Oh don't even go there. I thought we dropped that.

Anyway I thought that there was a rule about losing on a tie by stopping if not One point higher than your opponent. I was explaining  exactly what I was trying to say, nothing else. And Travis, I wasn't intending to yell at you. I was just explaining why my intentions for such rule.

Anyway can we get back on topic please ? Thank you.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 07:45:54 PM by William_S. »

J.R.

Twenty-One ties
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2011, 10:11:31 PM »
And I wasn't intending to yell at you, just sating a point.
What point? You removed your post.
-Joe Raygor

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Twenty-One ties
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2011, 10:46:49 PM »
Yes, this made me sad. I wanted to see the full impact of the epic fail. And I saw Real Steel today, so rest assured, I know from epic fail.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

That Don Guy

Twenty-One ties
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2011, 04:13:54 PM »
What's interesting about watching the actual game is that the "Marty" question is not the one that cost Stempel the game, like Quiz Show would have you think. It wasn't even in the ultimate round.
In a way, it did - as Stempel himself once put it (I think it was used in the "Quiz Show Scandal" episode of PBS's The American Experience), "If I would have answered 'Marty', I would have won, and the world would have never heard of Charles van Doren."

Jeremy Nelson

Twenty-One ties
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2011, 04:47:09 PM »
What's interesting about watching the actual game is that the "Marty" question is not the one that cost Stempel the game, like Quiz Show would have you think. It wasn't even in the ultimate round.
In a way, it did - as Stempel himself once put it (I think it was used in the "Quiz Show Scandal" episode of PBS's The American Experience), "If I would have answered 'Marty', I would have won, and the world would have never heard of Charles van Doren."
Yep. Stempel had 16, and the Marty question was a fiver.

If it were me, I would have just answered it, especially at $2000 a point. The way I see it, NBC would have had to pay me, or else they would have had to reveal the whole sham. If Herb wasn't so concerned with staying in the public eye, he would have seen that.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.