Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Todd Newton  (Read 5274 times)

tvrandywest

Todd Newton
« on: June 23, 2012, 09:59:40 PM »
Best Game Show Host, Todd won for Family Game Night on HUB.

Todd has taken a few hits on this board over the years, but in my not-so-humble opinion, few have deserved this recognition more. In 13 years of working with Todd - thousands of stage performances and TV episodes - he has always stretched to make his work fresh, relateable and fun for the audiences, as well as fun for those working with him.

Barker, Pat, Alex and the other veterans are all masters at their craft, but they are also so well-supported by large staffs who have been doing it for years. Todd has shown poise and polish when the staffs are small, the back-up from cue cards and prompters limited, the audiences unfamiliar with the show, the equipment unpredictable, and every other kind of challenge.

And, oh yes. Todd really is a kind and caring guy. Congrats to a pro!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

MikeK

• Martha!
Todd Newton
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 10:11:09 PM »
What Randy said.

When I saw Todd host the Hollywood Showdown tryouts in Pittsburgh in 2000, a good friend and I agreed that he was real good at the craft, and that was when he was merely a pup.  (30, give or take a year?)  On top of being a great emcee, Todd has always been approachable and professional every time I have seen him, whether at GSN roadshow events or at Game Show Congresses.  The Emmy really couldn't go to a better guy.

Vahan_Nisanian

Todd Newton
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 10:11:10 PM »
Off-topic, but did the Emmys do an In memoriam feature? And were Dick Clark and Bob Stewart mentioned?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 10:11:18 PM by gameshowlover87 »

tvrandywest

Todd Newton
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 10:19:45 PM »
Off-topic, but did the Emmys do an In memoriam feature? And were Dick Clark and Bob Stewart mentioned?
Yes, and both.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

vtown7

Todd Newton
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 10:30:50 PM »
Very pleased for Todd!  Couldn't happen to a nicer fellow.

I've got tickets for TPIR Live for next week in Windsor... very excited to see Todd in person!

BrandonFG

Todd Newton
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 10:47:30 PM »
Thought he was great on Hollywood Showdown (one of the better shows of the last decade-and-a-half IMO), and found him to had improved on Whammy!'s second season. I'm really surprised he hasn't gotten a syndicated show to host yet. He and Mark L. Walberg are two of the more underrated hosts of this generation.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Winkfan

Todd Newton
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 11:33:38 PM »
I just knew Todd would win! I kept saying YABBA DABBA DOO after Todd's name was announced.

Yes, and both.

But they left out Elaine Stewart. <sarcasm meter on>I hope her ghost haunts the whole TV Academy.</sarcasm meter off>

And Todd forgot to mention the Winkster in his speech. Congrats, anyhoo.....

Cordially,
Tammy
In Loving Memory: Dolores "Roxanne" Rosedale (1929-2024)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Todd Newton
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 04:49:26 AM »
Todd should be doing TPIR on CBS. He is rock-solid when it comes to format. Unfortunately TPTB at the time never gave him a fair shot.

BillCullen1

Todd Newton
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 11:22:49 AM »
Good for Todd and I'm glad that FGN is coming back for a third season.

In the Memoriam, in addition to Clark and Stewart, they should have also mentioned Richard Dawson.

The Pyramids

Todd Newton
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 12:44:16 PM »
Todd should be doing TPIR on CBS. He is rock-solid when it comes to format. Unfortunately TPTB at the time never gave him a fair shot.

Based on what I've seen he would run rings around Drew Carey.

Matt Ottinger

Todd Newton
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 01:06:30 PM »
Todd has taken a few hits on this board over the years
Hell, Bill Cullen has taken a few hits on this board over the years.  I think it's fair to say that the general opinion of Todd around here is overwhelmingly positive.  He is the modern incarnation of an old-school host who has seen his prospects decline of late through no fault of his own, but instead through the network mindset that shows need to be hosted by known stand-up comics.  That's nonsense, of course, as the overall track record has clearly shown.  I hope this well-deserved and overdue recognition helps nudge him up a few lines on the want lists for future projects.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Jimmy Owen

Todd Newton
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 01:16:45 PM »
I'm glad Todd won and hopefully will get the next network level show that makes it to air.  He deserves a wider audience.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Todd Newton
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 01:22:14 PM »
I hope this well-deserved and overdue recognition helps nudge him up a few lines on the want lists for future projects.
While I agree and generally like Todd (and really, for as much as he has trouble controlling THE VOLUME OF HIS VOICE, Whammy! was a good vehicle for him; his problem was that he didn't dial it down when he needed to), all I'm saying is:

Don't give him The Pyramid. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tvrandywest

Todd Newton
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2012, 01:31:25 PM »
This is the kind of guy Todd is:

"Randy-my brother on stage and off, we are only as good as those we surround ourselves with. I'm blessed to have spent years with you. I've learned so much from our time together. Here's to many more years of friendship and smiling contestants!! I share this win with you."

Randy
tvrandywest.com

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Todd Newton
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2012, 01:32:44 PM »
"Randy-my brother on stage and off, we are only as good as those we surround ourselves with. I'm blessed to have spent years with you. I've learned so much from our time together. Here's to many more years of friendship and smiling contestants!! I share this win with you."
Ah, fark it. Give him The Pyramid. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe