Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Your Holy Grail of game show episodes or footage  (Read 54968 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Your Holy Grail of game show episodes or footage
« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2012, 12:28:12 AM »
Oh, it be PROOF ye wantin', eh, lad?
Golly, that's a lot of game show goodness. Reminds me of growing up in the mid-eighties and having all sorts of choices through the morning.

/oh yes I went there.
Travis L. Eberle

Clay Zambo

« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2012, 12:34:57 AM »
Mine is the Australian episode of $ale of the Century where the champion won the lot plus the record-setting [color="#0000FF"]$508,000[/color] cash jackpot.

My friend Sandy Mumbach was a $20K Pyramid winner--that hardly describes it; she won sixteen consecutive front games before getting to the top of the pyramid.  I'd love to be able to show her that appearance.
My goodness! How close was she to the $20000 limit when she finally swept the Winner's Circle and increased her winnings to that amount?

I'll have to ask.  I do remember that she was invited back for a tournament of champions--and, yes, won that, too.
czambo@mac.com

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2012, 12:35:20 AM »
I was reminded of this thing for a second when we were talking about color broadcasting.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Clay Zambo

« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2012, 12:39:08 AM »
It was a legitimate question, Clay. Come on.

Part of the reason why I asked was because of the format those Pyramids employed- one loss and out, win the Pyramid once and retire- and how the eps would straddle, so I thought there might've been an ep or two where they could conceivably get three games into one episode.
There really wasn't. You weren't going to get more than that in the way of content. There's a reason that the pattern became two games daily. The three winner's circles was a total rarity.

Fair enough.  I didn't mean to be a jerk; I wasn't thinking of the odd straddling possibility.  It was eight days, though, as I said, I don't remember whether she started on a Thursday or Friday and finally won on a Monday or Tuesday.
czambo@mac.com

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2012, 02:02:42 AM »
I have a TV Guide from May 1964 that lists "Jeopardy!" as being in color; I think it's a lot more likely that it was in color from the beginning than that it switched from black-and-white to color a month and a half into its run.
The same day Get the Message debuted and Missing Links moved from NBC to ABC. Dorothy Kilgallen on Missing Links? That would be worth collecting.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2012, 02:18:08 AM »
Fair enough.  I didn't mean to be a jerk; I wasn't thinking of the odd straddling possibility.  It was eight days, though, as I said, I don't remember whether she started on a Thursday or Friday and finally won on a Monday or Tuesday.

No problemo...I just felt the possibility of three wins in one episode needed to be entertained somewhat. Then again, perhaps it wasn't the best place to do so.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 02:19:26 AM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Fedya

« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2012, 07:47:23 AM »
Golly, that's a lot of game show goodness. Reminds me of growing up in the mid-eighties and having all sorts of choices through the morning.
Geek that I am, I was more dismayed by how much Channel 9 would have had to cut out of Suspicion (a 99-minute movie in a 90-minute commercial time slot).
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

MyronMMeyer

« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2012, 09:03:59 AM »
I have a TV Guide from May 1964 that lists "Jeopardy!" as being in color; I think it's a lot more likely that it was in color from the beginning than that it switched from black-and-white to color a month and a half into its run.

I'd like to see one of those very early Jeopardy!s which were apparently more humor oriented. (Or is that an urban legend?)

Also, as I mention before in a similar thread to this one, the Art Fleming Celebrity Jeopardy in which Wizard of Odds host Alex Trebek was a player.

-M

MrBuddwing

« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2012, 09:05:54 AM »
Speaking of "Seven Keys," someone has posted the opening of one episode on YouTube - and it's videotape, no less:

(Now, how about the rest of it???)

BrandonFG

« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2012, 09:16:27 AM »
Gee, I wonder if I've seen *that* particular episode of "I Love Lucy" on Channel 8. :-P
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Mike Tennant

« Reply #70 on: July 19, 2012, 09:17:47 AM »
Gee, I wonder if I've seen *that* particular episode of "I Love Lucy" on Channel 8. :-P
Doggone it! I was just about to post almost exactly the same thing.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2012, 09:31:05 AM »
I'd like to see one of those very early Jeopardy!s which were apparently more humor oriented. (Or is that an urban legend?)
In The Jeopardy Book, Merv said that in development, they hoped to mine humor from having contestants trip over their tongues to make their questions grammatically correct, but they quickly realized that wouldn't work.  I saw a test episode that was probably produced pretty close to the premiere, and not only was that approach not funny, but it made Fleming look like an anal-retentive jerk.  The example that's stuck with me is a Comic Strips category.  The clue is "In the 25th Century" and the player responds with "Who is Buck Rogers?".  He eventually gets credit for it, but not before he's goaded and chided into saying something like "When does the action in Buck Rogers take place?"  The correction added nothing to the game, certainly not humor, and really just came across as a pain.  

The idea that Jeopardy originally aimed for humor in its content may have come from Maxine Fabe's old book.  She mentions the old Steve Allen "Answer Man" routine (similar to what Carson would do later with Carnac the Magnificent) and then claims, without any substantiation, that NBC was expecting Merv's show to be funny too.

Also, as I mention before in a similar thread to this one, the Art Fleming Celebrity Jeopardy in which Wizard of Odds host Alex Trebek was a player.
That (like the Sondheim shows) is one that people even outside our fandom would probably find interesting.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Pyramid20000

« Reply #72 on: July 19, 2012, 09:55:41 AM »
The entire run of $10,000 and $20,000 Pyramid that is it for me

Mike Tennant

« Reply #73 on: July 19, 2012, 11:59:35 AM »
In The Jeopardy Book, Merv said that in development, they hoped to mine humor from having contestants trip over their tongues to make their questions grammatically correct, but they quickly realized that wouldn't work.  I saw a test episode that was probably produced pretty close to the premiere, and not only was that approach not funny, but it made Fleming look like an anal-retentive jerk.  The example that's stuck with me is a Comic Strips category.  The clue is "In the 25th Century" and the player responds with "Who is Buck Rogers?".  He eventually gets credit for it, but not before he's goaded and chided into saying something like "When does the action in Buck Rogers take place?"  The correction added nothing to the game, certainly not humor, and really just came across as a pain.
That explains why the first edition of the home game has these rather odd types of responses. Under the category "Battles," for example, is this answer: "This country won the great sea battle of 1588." The correct question, according to the booklet: "What did England do to the Spanish Armada?"

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #74 on: July 19, 2012, 01:43:34 PM »
Not to threadjack, but which edition is this?
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)