Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Newly resurfaced gems  (Read 5575 times)

Vahan_Nisanian

Newly resurfaced gems
« on: July 21, 2012, 11:42:25 PM »
http://illustriousgameshowpage.com/new.html

As someone who checks Chuck Donegan's site on a regular basis to see what gems have resurfaced, I am happy to report some goodies that you probably never thought would do just that, but now they have.

Among them are the premiere episode of Hit Man with Wizard of Oz and Jeans as the subjects, the first Byrnes pilot of WOF, and the Peter Tomarken pilot of Monopoly.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 11:58:31 PM by gameshowlover87 »

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
Newly resurfaced gems
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 05:06:20 AM »
Man also has the Shopper's Bazaar pilot and a December 1973 episode of Three On A Match. I am officially jealous. :)
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

mystery7

Newly resurfaced gems
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 07:51:30 AM »
And having been witness to those a couple weeks ago, I can tell you that the Wheel pilot in particular is a gem in the truest sense.

Vahan_Nisanian

Newly resurfaced gems
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 11:05:29 AM »
On the subject of Hit Man, I've seen only a handful of episodes, and (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this one), only one particularly noteworthy change was made during its 65-episode run. It was the introduction of the returning champion (originally he or she was introduced during the second round, later, they changed it to have him or her be introduced at the start of the show).
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 12:10:49 PM by gameshowlover87 »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Newly resurfaced gems
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 01:26:13 PM »
Man
The guy from Man vs. Game is a game show tape collector? Awesome.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Newly resurfaced gems
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 02:00:58 PM »
The guy from Man vs. Game is a game show tape collector? Awesome.
I believe he was referring to this.

/not really
//WAY local joke
///we miss you, Gene
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Newly resurfaced gems
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 02:02:35 PM »
/not really
//WAY local joke
///we miss you, Gene
Hey, I finally remembered a call-back! Get in.
Travis L. Eberle

dazztardly

Newly resurfaced gems
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 05:57:49 PM »
http://illustriousgameshowpage.com/new.html

As someone who checks Chuck Donegan's site on a regular basis to see what gems have resurfaced, I am happy to report some goodies that you probably never thought would do just that, but now they have.

Among them are the premiere episode of Hit Man with Wizard of Oz and Jeans as the subjects, the first Byrnes pilot of WOF, and the Peter Tomarken pilot of Monopoly.

Alot of these "gems" tend not to make their way onto the trade circuit, mainly because of people who have abused the honor system. It's nice to see them surface when they do.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Newly resurfaced gems
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 06:04:37 PM »
mainly because of people who have abused the honor system. It's nice to see them surface when they do.
How does the honor system enter into it, other than taking a guy at his word that he'll send you what he said he will?
Travis L. Eberle

Matt Ottinger

Newly resurfaced gems
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 06:23:33 PM »
How does the honor system enter into it, other than taking a guy at his word that he'll send you what he said he will?
Often, the other half of that is the receiver promising that it won't go any further than himself.  When something like Puzzlers or the Byrnes pilot surfaces, things that have been long talked about but not seen, you can bet somebody somewhere along the line broke a promise.  On the one hand, that's a good thing for the general fan base, which gets to see these "newly resurfaced gems" for the first time.  On the other hand, it makes the holders of these rare videos less inclined to share more video in the future.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

SamJ93

Newly resurfaced gems
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 04:58:50 PM »
Often, the other half of that is the receiver promising that it won't go any further than himself.  When something like Puzzlers or the Byrnes pilot surfaces, things that have been long talked about but not seen, you can bet somebody somewhere along the line broke a promise.  On the one hand, that's a good thing for the general fan base, which gets to see these "newly resurfaced gems" for the first time.  On the other hand, it makes the holders of these rare videos less inclined to share more video in the future.

But...as we've (in the all-inclusive sense...not being condescending towards you, Matt) reiterated in the past, the videos aren't really "theirs" to begin with anyway.  Unless they actually do hold the copyrights--and I'm guessing they probably don't--they don't really have a leg to stand upon, right?
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Newly resurfaced gems
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 05:59:20 PM »
But...as we've (in the all-inclusive sense...not being condescending towards you, Matt) reiterated in the past, the videos aren't really "theirs" to begin with anyway.  Unless they actually do hold the copyrights--and I'm guessing they probably don't--they don't really have a leg to stand upon, right?
No, of course they don't, but that's not the point. The trading circle, near as I can tell, is fairly incestuous, and I would imagine if word gets out that someone's not honoring the conditions of the trades they are making, that someone probably should hope that they are happy with the size of their library, because they're gonna get blackballed in a hurry by anyone of any note and they're not going to get so much as a sniff at anything exclusive or valuable ever again.

Now let's turn that around: let's say I happen to be the holder of something rare, and I trade it to someone, and that someone turns right around and uploads it to YouTube despite my request not to. And maybe that pinhead gets blackballed. Fine.

Then, a few months down the road, I get burned by another, different pinhead.

Do you think I'm likely to stick around and get burned a third time?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 06:02:38 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
Newly resurfaced gems
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2012, 01:57:32 AM »
The thing I don't understand is why the holders of this rare stuff would request that the receiver not upload it to YouTube (or share it with others, "you can only upload this much", etc.). So you're willing to give it to a few select people, but not the public? Why is that?

The only thing I can think of is that these people work for the companies that made these things, and these videos' getting out to the public (while certainly enjoyed by said public) would be putting their job on the line. And maybe that's the reason...but what about the ones who aren't in that kind of situation?

(No jokes/angry remarks/etc., please; I'm being serious about this query, and hopefully I'm not being a jerk about this.)
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

TheLastResort

Newly resurfaced gems
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2012, 09:49:24 AM »
So you're willing to give it to a few select people, but not the public? Why is that?
Perhaps they want their gems to remain somewhat "rare" to give them leveraging power in future trades.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 09:49:38 AM by TheLastResort »

Matt Ottinger

Newly resurfaced gems
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2012, 10:37:46 AM »
So you're willing to give it to a few select people, but not the public? Why is that?
Perhaps they want their gems to remain somewhat "rare" to give them leveraging power in future trades.
There are many, many reasons, but this is at the bottom of the list.  Most of the small handful of people who have these rare things simply don't trade at all, at least not in the massive internet melting pot that the rest of us do.  They're not looking for leveraging power, or any power at all.  They're not looking for attention, though it wouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who some of them are.

Trust me, there are plenty of perfectly logical reasons why people would not want to expose themselves to our fandom.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.