Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Joker's Wild Categories from 1977-1986  (Read 15816 times)

narzo

The Joker's Wild Categories from 1977-1986
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2012, 02:36:13 AM »
you cynics, just give him what he asked for.  

letsplayrodrick, here are the categories which, remember, spun with a "joker" on the reels:

-State Capitols

-Popular Music

-Fast Forward Presidents

-Vivisectionists of the 13th Century

-Cats

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2012, 09:41:36 AM »
Oi...  Let me play this one straight...
Rodrick, you are asking for the categories for a game show that
  • Had five categories each game
  • Played about one and a half games per show
  • Aired five days per week
  • Had, once you even out summer reruns versus guest hosts, probably about 48 weeks of new shows per year
  • Ran for nine years
So, you made a forum post asking for over 16000 categories.  This is, frankly, pretty damned silly.  Plus, because there are so many episodes of the show on YouTube, you asked for information you could have found by yourself.  This all reflects incredibly badly on you.  So if you sense that people are treating you poorly, it's because you earned it.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 09:43:00 AM by parliboy »
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2012, 10:06:34 AM »
  • Had, once you even out summer reruns versus guest hosts, probably about 48 weeks of new shows per year
  • Ran for nine years
So, you made a forum post asking for over 16000 categories.  
As long as we're playing it straight, somehow I think you might be a bit off. Not necessarily your calculations, just your assumptions.  It wouldn't surprise me at all to find that over the nine years of the show there were no more than a few hundred categories ever used, especially if you combine obvious duplicates like "Books" and "Book Titles" (both of which were featured in the first edition box game).  That first edition has material for 72 games, which would theoretically be 360 categories.  I'd be surprised if there were half that many unique ones.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

parliboy

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2012, 10:52:31 AM »
Fair enough.  The early shows tended to use questions and categories that were a bit closer in spirit to the network run, though.  A category on "Dean Martin" doesn't get too much repeat play.  More to the point I am hoping against hope to make the noob understand why what he did was a bad idea.  (I prefer to save the bandwagon jumping for repeat offenses.)

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2012, 11:00:32 AM »
A category on "Dean Martin" doesn't get too much repeat play.
Weirdly, in the First Edition home game a Marilyn Monroe category appears four times.  Aside from "Disney" (which really isn't the same thing), no other category named for a specific person is duplicated more than once.

lestplayrodrick

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2012, 06:28:46 PM »
you cynics, just give him what he asked for.  

letsplayrodrick, here are the categories which, remember, spun with a "joker" on the reels:

-State Capitols

-Popular Music

-Fast Forward Presidents

-Vivisectionists of the 13th Century

-Cats

Are you sure those are the categories use on the game show the joker's wild from 1977-1986? i just like to do my own home version of the joker's wild but with the format from the best remember 1977-1986 version of the game show.

lestplayrodrick

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2012, 06:33:22 PM »
Oi...  Let me play this one straight...
Rodrick, you are asking for the categories for a game show that
  • Ran for nine years
So, you made a forum post asking for over 16000 categories.  This is, frankly, pretty damned silly.  Plus, because there are so many episodes of the show on YouTube, you asked for information you could have found by yourself.  This all reflects incredibly badly on you.  So if you sense that people are treating you poorly, it's because you earned it.

Just the popular categories from the 1977-1986 version of the joker's wild game show.

aaron sica

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2012, 07:52:25 PM »
Once again that was nice however i may post another game show topic in the near future but for now i'm interest in the categories in the 1977-1986 version of the joker's wild for my own home version of the game show in real life i do not have any of the three editions of the joker's wild game back in the early 1970's

The 1972-1975 edition will be very upset that you left it out.

dale_grass

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2012, 08:15:47 PM »
Since F4S is on permanent moderation, I'm always the first person to see any of his posts that get approved.  And at this point, pretty much the only ones I approve are ones I want to comment on.

OK, that makes sense.  In fact, it makes perfect sense.  All the loose ends tied up in a pretty bow.  Yep, quite the satisfactory answer.

Nice try, Ottinger.  Did you think I was born yesterday?  Just tell me this: who was Mario500?  Because that was epic.  My hat's off to either you or Chris.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2012, 09:54:25 PM »
Just the popular categories from the 1977-1986 version of the joker's wild game show.
God help me, I'm going in.  If I don't come back out, save yourselves.

Roderick, at the end of this message is a link to a YouTube search where you can find clips from dozens and dozens of actual Joker's Wild episodes.  It should be very easy for you to watch those clips and find out which categories were used.  I don't think any of us could make this any easier for you, and I think it's pretty obvious that nobody wants to.  So here you go:

Joker's Wild Clips

aaron sica

« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2012, 10:33:22 PM »
Nice try, Ottinger.  Did you think I was born yesterday?  Just tell me this: who was Mario500?  Because that was epic.  My hat's off to either you or Chris.

Let's not open *that* can of worms, Dale. He'll proceed to tell us who he is and no one will be able to understand. :)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 10:42:12 PM by aaron sica »

lestplayrodrick

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2012, 12:53:46 AM »
That was nice of all of you for trying to help me looking for the categories on the 1977-1986 version of the joker's wild for my own home game of the classic 1977-86 version of that show anyway which the joker's wild board do you guys liked the flashing red board or the flashing blue neon board of both.

mmb5

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2012, 07:44:50 AM »
I would like to take Fast Forward Trolls for $100.
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Don Howard

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2012, 08:32:57 AM »
do you guys liked the flashing red board or the flashing blue neon board of both.
I watched on my little black & white portable so I liked the flashing grey board.

parliboy

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2012, 09:28:58 PM »
This home version had better be Windows 7 compatible for those kinds of questions.