Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game shows and your siblings  (Read 3628 times)

MikeK

• Martha!
Game shows and your siblings
« on: September 13, 2012, 01:55:22 PM »
While talking with a forum member on IM last night, the topic of if my sister was a game show fan came up.  I shared some stories about my sister in relation to game shows, and said person relayed his experiences with his brother.  Were/are any of your siblings into game shows as much as you?

Sis wasn't as big into it as me, though we both enjoyed playing the Winner's Circle when The $25K/$100K Pyramid reran on USA about 20 years ago and we tried out for Lingo in 2006.  We used to watch FAM's game show block somewhat religiously, only because she wanted me to win her a clarinet during the play breaks.  The fandom definitely didn't carry over to Game Show Conventions and Congresses; my sister gave me a virtual eye roll when I texted her that I met Wink Martindale in '06.  She's too young to remember that, until Jeopardy! returned in 1984, Tic Tac Dough was mandatory viewing.

Note:  The Mackeys are exempt from answering. ;-)

aaron sica

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 02:51:05 PM »
I had two older brothers; one was indifferent to game shows, the other (with the exception of Wheel of Fortune), HATED game shows - especially Family Feud.

beatlefreak84

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 02:57:06 PM »
I have two younger brothers, and, while they certainly picked up random, obscure facts about game shows thanks mainly to hearing about them from me (e.g., both know what "Bumper Stumpers" is, and both know the story of Michael Larson), neither of them got into game shows.  They may have watched them with me from time to time, but only when they were bored.

Now, one of my brothers does occasionally watch TPIR, but the other doesn't watch any game shows except for Big Brother.  Yeah; it's more reality than game, but I'll take it.

It's my mom and my grandma in my family that have a taste for games and game shows.  Both are huge fans of Jeopardy! and watch it pretty much every day.

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

Don Howard

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 04:24:09 PM »
Were/are any of your siblings into game shows as much as you?
Nope. Neither of my six sibs. They couldn't have cared less about Ken Jennings during his run, either.
This could be because I was adopted and Bob Barker is my real father. Sure feels like he is.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 04:29:11 PM »
My two younger brothers were never into game shows, and were vaguely annoyed with my efforts to recruit them to play my homemade efforts with other kids in the neighborhood.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

geno57

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 05:20:46 PM »
On very rare occasions, I could get my two older brothers to play a game.  My grandmother was a little more open to it.

BrandonFG

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 06:46:34 PM »
I'm an only child, but whenever my cousins from Maryland would come visit (or vice versa), we'd watch a few shows together; I have memories of us all watching TPiR, and distinctly remember on Christmas Eve 1993, I somehow got control of the TV and we ended up watching the Family Channel's block of reruns, as well as a special $25,000 Pyramid that CBS aired that day.

An older cousin reminds me of how I always talked about becoming a game show host, a memory that I've since pushed to the furthest corner of my mind. :-P
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 06:48:21 PM »
I had one sister and not only did she have 0 interest in watching game shows, she had no interest in playing board games either.

I still have a couple games I received as gifts collecting dust that I never opened.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Winkfan

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 07:24:02 PM »
In the summer of 1974, my older sister and brother often played along with me while watching Now You See It; but otherwise, they didn't care one way or another.

Cordially,
Tammy
In Loving Memory: Dolores "Roxanne" Rosedale (1929-2024) & Peter Marshall (1926-2024)

Jay Temple

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 08:31:16 PM »
One of my favorite evenings was my wife, my mother, my sister and her husband playing out a bunch of P+/SP puzzles. Nevertheless, I'm the only one in my family who would even be called an enthusiast.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 09:12:40 PM »
My brother is deceased, but my 46 year old sister has never been a fan.  In fact, she went as far as to program out GSN on her remote, so she doesn't accidentally happen upon it.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

DjohnsonCB

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2012, 10:05:13 PM »
I was watching Name That Tune one night a long time ago and my younger brother, while watching the big wheel spin and the two contestants jumping up and down and screaming, said, "They're just actors!"

When The Newlywed Game first came on, it was locally scheduled opposite Concentration, which I wanted to watch.  Of course, my sister won out and got to watch her dumb NG.
She also used to lament that on the '70s Match Game, a player could walk away with five grand just for making a simple match, but on Jeopardy! with Art Fleming, everyone had to rack their brains to win maybe $750.  She never shared my enthusiasm for It Takes Two...but then, she thought EVERYTHING I liked on TV was stupid.

My father was once laid up in a hospital with nothing much to do but watch daytime TV.  After he was released, he spent one night at the dinner table complaining about the game shows like Eye Guess with their "toothy announcers" (ie: hosts).  One memory that remains permanently sealed in my brain, unfortunately:  The week in July 1969 that we spent in Vero Beach, FL due to interest in the first moon landing, was the last chance I ever had to watch the '60s MG since WDAF kept me from watching it at home in Kansas City.  One day in the motel room it was about to come on and I asked to change the channel without telling anyone what was on.  I switched just in time to see one celebrity team captain come on with the 1969 theme playing in the background.  That moment of euphoria lasted about 45 seconds, whereupon I heard Dad going "*mumble*mumble*grumble*grumble*eegda-mignity-GEEEM!", and Mom made me switch it back to some other station showing The Galloping Gourmet.  So much for that and any future attempts to watch the late '60s MG while I would have had the chance...
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 10:07:12 PM by DjohnsonCB »
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 10:21:34 PM »
My sister doesn't watch them often, but she'll sometimes play along to Wheel and Jeopardy! I know she's beaten me to a couple bonus puzzles and a lot more Final Jeopardy! questions.
Bobby Peacock

pyrfan

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 01:37:56 AM »
In 1987, when I passed my "Pyramid" auditions, my brother helped me practice, and he got pretty into the game -- to the point where before long, he was the one bugging me to rewind that day's tape and begin practicing. When the Davidson show started production in 1990 and I passed again, my brother and his wife both practiced the game with me. Pretty soon, she was watching the reruns on USA by herself, unprompted by me. Even though I never got on the show, I still have fond memories of all the fun we had playing the game as a family.

Brendan

TimK2003

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 02:28:11 AM »
I have 2 younger sisters -- neither of them (as far as I know) never were fans of game shows.  In fact, there was always an after-school battle that whoever got off the bus, into the house, and to the TV dial first had first dibs on what to watch.  So in many cases, it was MG/HS vs. General Hospital.

I don't even think my parents nor grandparents have ever been fans of any game shows, come to think of it.  They probably let me watch all the game shows I wanted because the colors, lights and sounds would mesmerize me for hours on end, and that was one less kid they'd have to chase after.

Thank goodness my wife was into game shows even before we met!!