Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Elizabeth Montgomery bio  (Read 5027 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Elizabeth Montgomery bio
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2012, 02:27:18 AM »
Also, if you stuck to the original play to 25 format for P+, you would run into the bonus round 2-3 times per show. Given it was for much more money than before, lengthening  the main game seems logical. Of course, they could have played to 50 or 100, but that could get a bit monotonous.
The mid-70s version of Password solved that (playing to fifty with 10-9-8-7-6 is not much different than playing to 25 with 10 to one) by throwing in the qualifying round.
If you didn’t create it, it isn’t your content.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Elizabeth Montgomery bio
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2012, 03:40:08 AM »
Also, if you stuck to the original play to 25 format for P+, you would run into the bonus round 2-3 times per show. Given it was for much more money than before, lengthening  the main game seems logical. Of course, they could have played to 50 or 100, but that could get a bit monotonous.
The mid-70s version of Password solved that (playing to fifty with 10-9-8-7-6 is not much different than playing to 25 with 10 to one) by throwing in the qualifying round.

I don't consider tacking on a round just to tack it on solving something. Which to me is what adding the qualifying round to Password did.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

jage

Elizabeth Montgomery bio
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2012, 11:28:39 PM »
I'll have to go on Youtube and check one of these out, as I've never watched the 70s version before. Thanks for pointing this out.

BrandonFG

Elizabeth Montgomery bio
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2012, 11:54:34 PM »
This isn't going to be exactly the answer you want, but I just interviewed Robert Sherman for the book I'm working on. His recollection was that NBC came to G-T and said "We want to do a new version of Password, but we don't think Password will hold a viewer's attention anymore, so do something to it." As for who specifically came up with the puzzle, I'm not sure, but it reviving it and overhauling it were both NBC ideas.
That answer actually works just fine for me. Thanks! :-)
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!