Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR Prize Copy Question  (Read 5046 times)

Casey

TPIR Prize Copy Question
« on: December 18, 2003, 07:28:51 PM »
I'd love to hear from Randy West on this, as he'd be a definitive source, but here's my question:

How much leeway does the announcer have in the introducing a prize when Bob throw's to him?  What prompted me was Burton's intro to It's In the Bag the other day.  I can't remember exactly how it went, but it went like this:

Bob: "Burton, tell him what he can win!"
Burton: "OK Bob, a chance to win $16,000 in cash"

It didn't flow as smoothly as it seems like it could have.  

Could he have said: "He's got a shot at $16,000 in cash!" or something to that effect?

BTW, Randy's picture is shown on CBS's Price is Right page here:

http://www.cbs.com/daytime/price/slideshow..._bday_009.shtml

At g-r.net, the moderator (Marc) stated that this is the first official photo of an announcer since Rod passed away.

tvrandywest

TPIR Prize Copy Question
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2003, 10:56:51 PM »
[quote name=\'isucgv\' date=\'Dec 18 2003, 07:28 PM\'] I'd love to hear from Randy West on this [/quote]
Your Christmas wish is granted    ;-)

"Price" is "the main room". There is no more demanding show for an announcer. As such, Roger and company know they are working with pros and are wonderfully respectful in affording the announcer the freedom and latitude to ad-lib the cues to and from Bob. But it comes with a bit of danger!

While the challenge of thinking on your feet when responding to Bob's throws is the best part of the job, it's tough sometimes. You want to keep the conversational style, yet still need to be true to the intent of the copy. It's tougher than it sounds  because there are responses that might sound more conversational but have potential legal implications.

In the example you cite there is a risk in simply responding with a line that includes "$16,000" without including the phrase "a chance to win". You could argue that Bob already made the legal distinction by saying "can win", but in general there's a danger in trying to shortcut the copy when there are legalities involved. Having been in that exact situation myself, I'm certain that's why Burton used the scripted copy rather than fashioning a more conversational response that could have proven troublesome.

I've had a few awkward transitions when Bob says "What is this Randy?" and the copy starts with something like "Enjoy the fresh taste of home made iced tea wherever you go...."!

I love it!   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: December 18, 2003, 10:58:10 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

tommycharles

TPIR Prize Copy Question
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2003, 11:20:53 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Dec 18 2003, 10:56 PM\'] [quote name=\'isucgv\' date=\'Dec 18 2003, 07:28 PM\'] I'd love to hear from Randy West on this [/quote]
Your Christmas wish is granted    ;-)

"Price" is "the main room". There is no more demanding show for an announcer. As such, Roger and company know they are working with pros and are wonderfully respectful in affording the announcer the freedom and latitude to ad-lib the cues to and from Bob. But it comes with a bit of danger!

While the challenge of thinking on your feet when responding to Bob's throws is the best part of the job, it's tough sometimes. You want to keep the conversational style, yet still need to be true to the intent of the copy. It's tougher than it sounds  because there are responses that might sound more conversational but have potential legal implications.

In the example you cite there is a risk in simply responding with a line that includes "$16,000" without including the phrase "a chance to win". You could argue that Bob already made the legal distinction by saying "can win", but in general there's a danger in trying to shortcut the copy when there are legalities involved. Having been in that exact situation myself, I'm certain that's why Burton used the scripted copy rather than fashioning a more conversational response that could have proven troublesome.

I've had a few awkward transitions when Bob says "What is this Randy?" and the copy starts with something like "Enjoy the fresh taste of home made iced tea wherever you go...."!

I love it!   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com [/quote]
 How far can legalities get with something like that?? Is it an issue of constants suing? Isn't there a waver associated with that?? Do I have any more questions???

Well, yes, actually. There was a discussion on one of the forums awhile back about Bob cutting in in the middle of the announcer's Come on Down spiel. Does it bug you if Bob does that, Randy?

T
www.46664.com
visit the website
make the call
give one minute of your life

tvrandywest

TPIR Prize Copy Question
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2003, 12:45:40 AM »
How far can legalities get with something like that?? Is it an issue of constants suing? Isn't there a waver associated with that?? Do I have any more questions???

Do you mean the waver in the second row who is saying hello to his friends back home?  The concern is misrepresenting the rules of the gameplay.

Well, yes, actually. There was a discussion on one of the forums awhile back about Bob cutting in in the middle of the announcer's Come on Down spiel. Does it bug you if Bob does that, Randy?

NOTHING Bob does EVER bugs me!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
TPIR Prize Copy Question
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2003, 03:23:18 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Dec 18 2003, 10:45 PM\'] NOTHING Bob does EVER bugs me!
 [/quote]
 Spoken like a man who truly understands upon which side his bread is buttered, and more importantly, exactly who is wielding the knife. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
TPIR Prize Copy Question
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2003, 03:37:16 AM »
Here's how to buy yourself approximately :03 of think time:

BOB: What is this, Randy?

(SHUFFLING PAPERS)

RANDY: Why Bob ...

(MORE SHUFFLING PAPERS)

RANDY: ... it's a lovely ...

(STILL MORE SHUFFLING PAPERS)

RANDY: ... jar of Lipton instant iced tea!

That's what Dian used to say :-P
« Last Edit: December 19, 2003, 03:44:53 AM by chris319 »

uncamark

TPIR Prize Copy Question
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2003, 01:55:27 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Dec 19 2003, 03:37 AM\']
That's what Dian used to say :-P[/quote]
[rim shot]

Chris'll be here all week, folks.  Enjoy the veal and tip your waitress.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
TPIR Prize Copy Question
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2003, 03:27:47 PM »
Tip the veal, try your waitress.

GS Warehouse

TPIR Prize Copy Question
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2003, 03:51:19 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Dec 19 2003, 03:27 PM\'] Tip the veal, try your waitress. [/quote]
I tried that, and I got slapped. :-)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2003, 03:51:35 PM by GS Warehouse »

tommycharles

TPIR Prize Copy Question
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2003, 04:00:46 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Dec 19 2003, 03:51 PM\'] [quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Dec 19 2003, 03:27 PM\'] Tip the veal, try your waitress. [/quote]
I tried that, and I got slapped. :-) [/quote]
 Veal can be vicious if you aren't careful...

gameshowguy2000

TPIR Prize Copy Question
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2003, 05:31:37 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Dec 19 2003, 02:37 AM\']

(SHUFFLING PAPERS)

RANDY: Why Bob ...

(MORE SHUFFLING PAPERS)

RANDY: ... it's a lovely ...

(STILL MORE SHUFFLING PAPERS)

RANDY: ... jar of Lipton instant iced tea!
[/quote]
 You know, that reminds me of the time when the late Rod goofed up one time, and I got a good laugh out of the following, and I'm sure you did, too, Randy:

Bob: "Look what we have for you to bid on now!"

Rod: "A BARBECUE AND A NEW CAR!"

(Applause)

"No, no, no, no, no. A LOVELY DINETTE GROUP!" (Applause turns to laughter)

(Rod continues description amid laughter)

Bob: "Roger, Rod?"

Rod: "YES, BOB?" (Laughing)

Bob: "Would you like a glass of water?" (Laughter continues as audience member shouts out "WATER!") "Or a glass of SOMETHING!"

Radiofreewill

TPIR Prize Copy Question
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2003, 06:42:50 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Dec 19 2003, 03:27 PM\'] Tip the veal, try your waitress. [/quote]
 Spoken like a true morning dj.

Fedya

TPIR Prize Copy Question
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2003, 12:06:51 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Dec 19 2003, 03:37 AM\']

BOB: What is this, Randy? [/quote]
 My thought would have been to ask Bob, "What does it look like?", but that's why I'm not in the industry.  :-)
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
TPIR Prize Copy Question
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2003, 06:55:53 PM »

My thought would have been to ask Bob, "What does it look like?", but that's why I'm not in the industry. :-)

LOL! Sorry to add a post that gets us nowhere, but that is truly one of the funniest things I've read on here in a long time. Bravo!

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Kevin Prather

TPIR Prize Copy Question
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2003, 07:05:57 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Dec 19 2003, 01:55 PM\'] [quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Dec 19 2003, 03:37 AM\']
That's what Dian used to say :-P[/quote]
[rim shot]

Chris'll be here all week, folks.  Enjoy the veal and tip your waitress. [/quote]
 Or if you prefer, just knock her ass down.