Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TBS picks up "Trust Me, I'm a Game Show Host"..  (Read 5508 times)

weaklink75

TBS picks up "Trust Me, I'm a Game Show Host"..
« on: January 11, 2013, 02:07:45 PM »

This was piloted for one of the networks a year or so ago...10 episodes have been ordered, along with a hidden-camera series called \"Deal With It\" that has a game element to it (someone is offered the chance to win cash and prizes by pulling pranks based on instructions given via earpiece)..

http://thefutoncritic.com/news/2013/01/11/tbs-greenlights-new-unscripted-series-from-howie-mandel-and-mark-burnett-702112/20130111tbs01/

Sodboy13

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 08:15:39 PM »

Anyone have any info on what keeps \"Trust Me\" from being Break the Bank with a one-square board?

"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 05:08:04 PM »

As much as I liked \"Oblivious\", I have to admit that \"Deal With It\" sounds weak even by hidden-camera-show standards.  

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 01:55:30 AM »

Anyone have any info on what keeps \"Trust Me\" from being Break the Bank with a one-square board?

Watching the premiere right now, I can say confidently: it isn\'t even *that* good.

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TonicBH

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 10:30:13 AM »

I watched the first episode of \"Trust Me, I\'m a Game Show Host.\"

There\'s barely any game here. There\'s a lot of post-production VO dubs. They go through six questions in a single show, in which the premise is \"which of these celebrities is telling the truth.\" Complete with a tacky modern set and a superfluous money ladder, this looks like a mediocre game show that should\'ve been thrown back in the oven to cook for a few months longer.

It would\'ve been more interesting if they had gotten a veteran in the game show biz to host instead of someone unfunny like Michael Ian Black, along with throwing a few twists in the game. I\'d be surprised if this lasted longer than a season.

You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

clemon79

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 12:11:56 PM »

There\'s a lot of post-production VO dubs.

Not just post-dubs; bad post-dubs.

instead of someone unfunny like Michael Ian Black

Your opinion, though I will allow that he was really more reserved than he should have been here. 

I\'d be surprised if this lasted longer than a season.

I\'ll be surprised if it lasts that long.

colonial

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 12:26:16 PM »

IIRC, ABC\'s pilot (which had Bill Engvall and Larry Miller hosting), had a \"mob\" (forget how many) of contestants playing, with players eliminated with one wrong answer.  Having a \"mob\" format, or at least a \"player vs. player\" scenario, would have worked a lot better than the \"one vs. the house\" scenario that\'s been driven to the ground the last decade or so.

The questions, to me, seemed insanely easy.   The set looked like recycled parts from other game shows from the last 5-6 years.

Michael Ian Black and D.L. Hughley had lousy forced chemistry.  Black, whose sarcastic style works on other shows, came off as whiny and desperate on \"Trust Me,\" while Hughley jokingly playing the race card (\"come to the dark side\") and dropping some sailor talk made him look to be a guy phoning it in for a paycheck.

I liked the gimmick of polling the audience on the questions, but it was only used on ONE QUESTION.  Perhaps make the polling part of the game -- if the audience and contestant agree on the \"fact\" and are correct, add X amount of dollars to the player\'s bank,

Overall grade -- D-

JD

BrandonFG

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 12:41:20 PM »

Black, whose sarcastic style works on other shows, came off as whiny and desperate on \"Trust Me,\" while Hughley jokingly playing the race card (\"come to the dark side\") and dropping some sailor talk made him look to be a guy phoning it in for a paycheck.

You just summed up 90% of D.L. Hughley\'s comedy routine...dating all the way back to his ABC/UPN sitcom.

"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

MTCesquire

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 02:57:29 AM »

Black, whose sarcastic style works on other shows, came off as whiny and desperate on \"Trust Me,\" while Hughley jokingly playing the race card (\"come to the dark side\") and dropping some sailor talk made him look to be a guy phoning it in for a paycheck.

You just summed up 90% of D.L. Hughley\'s comedy routine...dating all the way back to his ABC/UPN sitcom.

More like dating back to his days on \"Comic View\".  That\'s been his shtick his whole career.  Only problem is it\'s not the \'90s and that type of comedy isn\'t that funny anymore unless it\'s creative (i.e. Chappelle\'s Show).

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 02:41:41 PM »
Question, since I don\'t pull in TBS; is each round played like Bluff the Listener on Wait Wait? That is, is the contender presented two stories that revolve around the same topic (I suppose Late Night Liars already went to that well), or are they be on two different topics?
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 02:54:48 PM »

Question, since I don\'t pull in TBS; is each round played like Bluff the Listener on Wait Wait? That is, is the contender presented two stories that revolve around the same topic (I suppose Late Night Liars already went to that well), or are they be on two different topics?

Nope, same topic. Generally. So the category might be \"In The Can\" and one story might be about beer and the other about toilets. Or they could be more closely related.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 02:55:10 PM by clemon79 »